What is your recommendation for 48v 20ah Lithium battery?

kmxtornado

10 kW
UPDATE:
I went with a LiFePo4 for the safety aspect and ease of charging and discharging and storing. Decently priced at about $337 shipped. Came with SB50 Anderson poles which I use for discharging. Bought some APP45 for charging.

Made an adapter because the charger connector that comes with it is a household one which I don’t want hanging off my battery.

Built an adapter, household to APP45 until my real charger comes in that is APP45 natively.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback! Got her up and running.

—-

ORIGINAL POST
It's been awhile since I've been on the forums here. Had a great time with several projects. I'm reviving a bike conversion from 2012 and could use some help with a recommendation for a battery.

https://youtu.be/NR5dYytiIcA

It used to run on LiFePo4 that failed, but I'm looking at Lithium Ion as replacement mostly as a budget friendly alternative since Lead Acid batteries have doubled in price apparently. 12v 12ah batteries are $40 apiece and I'd need 4 for a 48v setup, so seriously looking at Li-Ion. I don't think I can afford another LiFePo4 at this time. I'm looking for something off the shelf that will fit in a battery bag on a rear mounted bike rack. 12"L x 6.75"W and 3.5"H

48v 20ah is what I'm going for. I have my eye on a $215 one from Amazon but looking for some recommendation for other sources for something safe with good longevity that I can depend on. I assume you guys aren't buying batteries from Amazon. Some home built or purchased from a pro here in the forums, but is there a website or other source that you guys are getting your batteries from? Not sure how prices have adjusted over the past 7 years, so let me know if that's junk and I should be looking elsewhere or if it's decent. My last LiFePo4 battery was 36v 10ah and cost $350. I remember cell_man used to be big here in the forums, but his website closed, so not sure if he's got a new domain or if he's no longer building batteries.

22amp controller is by Amped Bikes from way back, 36-48v capable.
Motor is 36v, but I plan to overvolt it to 48v since my controller can already handle it. I'm expecting the motor to possibly get hot, but I'll gear it accordingly.
26" wheel

TIA.

Do you have the ability to add your desired plug to a battery?

https://batteryhookup.com/products/48v-10-4ah-499wh-e-bike-battery-13s4p-lg-18650-2600mah

They're not an especially convenient form factor or size, but their energy density is pretty good and most of what you need is there. Put them in parallel for 20Ah.

Thanks for taking the time to reply but dimensionally, it is much too long for my use. Still would like to retain the stealth look and the battery bag I have or would replace it with would still be 1' long. The battery from your link is about 17", so little too big for the bike I have which although is a 26" wheel size, overall the frame is quite tiny.

I don't think I can afford another LiFePo4 at this time.

Calculated at 1kWh the LiIon will cost you 224$ while the Lifepo4 costs 278$. Thats the 50 bucks holding you back? I'd say if you are familiar with the chemistry etc... But ok.

The 48v 20Ah LiIon has the energy of like 80-100 18650. 215$ is imho cheap for this amount of Wh assembled as a pack. Too cheap actually so I wouldn't trust those amazon-ads (unlike its from a well known brand which is prob not the case here).

Although I never worked with Lifepo4, looking at your Lifepo prices... I say stick with that. For comparison: a 12v 8Ah Lifepo costs me in Germany no less than 58 USD. I'd buy a couple of those 40$ units if I could... :(.

DoraTheExplorer said:
I don't think I can afford another LiFePo4 at this time.

Calculated at 1kWh the LiIon will cost you 224$ while the Lifepo4 costs 278$. Thats the 50 bucks holding you back? I'd say if you are familiar with the chemistry etc... But ok.

The 48v 20Ah LiIon has the energy of like 80-100 18650. 215$ is imho cheap for this amount of Wh assembled as a pack. Too cheap actually so I wouldn't trust those amazon-ads (unlike its from a well known brand which is prob not the case here).

Although I never worked with Lifepo4, looking at your Lifepo prices... I say stick with that. For comparison: a 12v 8Ah Lifepo costs me in Germany no less than 58 USD. I'd buy a couple of those 40$ units if I could... :(.

Oh, can you send me your source for a 48v 20ah LiFePo4? You're right, $278 ain't bad. I haven't had the best experiences so far with LiFePo4, but maybe worth me researching further. In the meantime if you can send me where you got that $278 pricing, that'd be great b/c all I'm seeing are about $350 for those. Thanks!

calab said:
OSN Power has lfp4, I was on the hunt for non lfp4 2 days ago.

I checked the website, but no pricing. Mind sharing what prices you got for what spec?

I decided to go with a LifePo4, $300. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

If you post a link to the sale page, we can look at it and "pick it apart" for you before you buy, so you can have a better idea of exactly what you are buying.

There is so much unsafe garbage out there that anyone that doesnt' know what to look for might not realize....I hate seeing people get "shafted" by that.

BTR Battery has been around for a while. They're in USA and I think they make them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B28JS42N/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?pd_rd_i=B0B28JS42N&pd_rd_w=kag3u&content-id=amzn1.sym.88097cb9-5064-44ef-891b-abfacbc1c44b&pf_rd_p=88097cb9-5064-44ef-891b-abfacbc1c44b&pf_rd_r=6SENZ69HRVXCPNF10XGY&pd_rd_wg=F5G71&pd_rd_r=5f8f54fe-2d38-42ee-ac2d-fcea8168a69c&s=sporting-goods&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&th=1

Back