BIG BLOCK alternative Motor

bzhwindtalker said:
Actually I was talking about the previous bike with the BB located direct drive GNG motor and pegs!
Sorry bad photoy :
856101_10151477188549617_159719741_o.jpg

Anyway to do a setup like this and keep the pedals ?

Run chain on other side to a disc brake sprocket?

I know it was mentioned some pages ago, but can anyone confirm this motor runs just as well in reverse?

I am contemplating running it via the disc brake side.

I was wondering if there is something off the shelf for the 420 sprockets too

this looks cool but for 410 http://shop.jakebike.com/9-hole-offset-SPROCKETS-for-rear-disc-setup-8898.htm

136824608469918652166.jpeg

or anyone out there do custom sprockets or adapters for 420 that anyone knows?

thanks

John Bozi said:
I know it was mentioned some pages ago, but can anyone confirm this motor runs just as well in reverse?

I am contemplating running it via the disc brake side.

I was wondering if there is something off the shelf for the 420 sprockets too

this looks cool but for 410 http://shop.jakebike.com/9-hole-offset-SPROCKETS-for-rear-disc-setup-8898.htm

136824608469918652166.jpeg

or anyone out there do custom sprockets or adapters for 420 that anyone knows?

thanks

Ive been measuring up the oset sprocket adapter to fit 420 sprockets (219 is stock) that have the same bolt/bore config. Theres a few options. none of which are freewheeling

I never ended up attempting the proper phase/hall combo because I couldn't find a way to fit the motor for leftside drive.
Even with something like a 68/135mm bb and mtn cranks, the back of the motor would hit the bike chainline. Leftside drive would work better with a narrower motor, wider bb, or placement of bht away from chainring/chainline ( above, in front). +1, it does seem to be neutrally timed though.

Why use #40 chain? 219 or #35 is more appropriate, (one might be able to get away with tiny 8mm chain even) and there's no shortage of sprockets?

If people can work out 2 rightside chainlines, my new hub should be of use. Dual freewheel for 150-155 d/o. Finishing it up soon. All off the shelf parts with one tiny machined/printed adaptor. Pretty easy diy

Thanks for reminding me of the width issue I had buried ages ago... I feel like I am going around in circles for solutions.

The above solution would work but handling goes down that higher up it gets places...

I was looking at 420 because that's the stock front sprocket,

Is there a list of front sprockets that adapt to this shaft without custom work? I'd even try a strong SS ebike 410 chain now that I found that biscuit adapter.

That's the only catch with the BHT, I haven't found ANY sprockets that fit either diameter of the shaft.
Also that #40 8t sprocket is best suited for low rpms, like 36-48v. Otherwise imo that's a far too small diameter for that chain and 2500rpms. They also have an 8mm 14t as an option, and could be worth a shot. 8mm looks like it will hold up to the power, but won't last as long as 219 or #35.

It may be fairly simple to tweak a sprocket and use the existing keyway on the small part of shaft (allen wrenches make good custom keys), or if you have access to a welder, just tweak a .625 id sprocket of your choice and tack it on the larger inner section. The latter is working fine for me, and it will only take a couple extra minutes to change it someday.
For tweaking all things metal, a variable speed anglegrinder with abrasive and a diamond wheel is great, but my favorite diy tool is a nice carbide rotary burr.
I have a big one for the die grinder/drill, but I believe they make nice ones for the dremel too. The key is keep everything cool with oil. Cuts bout everything. Also worked great for the aluminum blank sprocket I used for the rear. Enlarged the center and then drilled the 5 holes for the white hd.

As far as I know, there is no perfect off the shelf drivetrain, which would be nice- but if you source the right setup, it takes minimal work and doesn't cost much. I see a 'special' rear sprockt selling for +60$

35 chain 10ft 20$
35 11t 5/8id 10$
35 blank 55t alu 33$

A slotted axle. :? The GNG big block has built in gear and if you cut the gear the axle still long enough.
How are you going to fit a sprocket int that axle?

Interesting.
I don't own the motor right now but can you fit sprockets like these:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/221583978712

BHZ, what is the difference between this motor and the pedestal style mount? Are they the same internally? Do you have a pic of the other side? How about a width to the major faces and end of output shaft? Or even better CAD? I may be able to use one of these. Not a big fan of the sprocket attachment though. What keeps the sprocket on laterally? grub screw?

Hey Guys,

I have bought the BHT 1kW 48V motor. Can any of you guys give me the wiring diagram of the hall effect sensors? Also what are the number of poles of this motor? I am asking this since I am making my own controller for it.

Best Regards, Glenn

crossbreak said:
if you are able to built an own controller u should really have no problem in determining the right wiring by yourself :lol:

Haha yes I'm in the process of building it, I'm almost ready to order the PCBS.. I was just saying that to save some time. With the hall effect took a quick look and know I know the wiring, however the poles I don't know I really don't want to open the motor up.

really hard to tell without connecting an oscilloscope to both a hall and between two phases. There is no common scheme for assigning hall states to specific phase commutation states.

All we know is that this motor is directly compatible to the scheme that Kelly controllers use, i think it then turns in CW direction if i remember right

crossbreak said:
really hard to tell without connecting an oscilloscope to both a hall and between two phases. There is no common scheme for assigning hall states to specific phase commutation states.

All we know is that this motor is directly compatible to the scheme that Kelly controllers use, i think it then turns in CW direction if i remember right

Aren't these motors bi directional? All you need to do is to switch 2 phases of the motor together to get a change of direction. Assuming of course that you have made the appropriate changes in the code of the controller to take into account for this change correct?

Best Regards Glenn

That is of course the case. I've been doing some digging around and it seems the BHT motor is a 6 pole motor can anyone confirm this? Also does anyone know what the hall effect connector is called to buy the female end to make it look nice and tidy

Best Regards Glenn

glenn0010 said:
That is of course the case. I've been doing some digging around and it seems the BHT motor is a 6 pole motor can anyone confirm this? Also does anyone know what the hall effect connector is called to buy the female end to make it look nice and tidy

Best Regards Glenn

I think it is 8 pole? Just pop open the front cover, its easy.

Back