Big guy would like a starter bike recommendation

Quinc said:
Chalo said:
Quinc said:
Get a Sur-ron.

Have you not seen one before? They're for dwarves and children.

I have one with every mod on it. It does awesome with me 6' 240lbs.

You be you.
[youtube]gvDSEysVFqM[/youtube]

I rarely if ever see the Sondors ebikes, to which I've only seen once. Let alone seeing a Sur-ron in the real life.

Any XL or XXL bike will do any 6'er or someone deep into the 6's.
The biggest questions to ask yourself is what to install for the terrain you will be riding the most.

Last edited:
For my current and second bike, the decisions have already been made: I have the Specialized Rockhopper and once I fix the handlebars as suggested above, I'm sure I'll be very happy with it. It's not exactly appropriate for daily commutes on asphalt and concrete, but I also want something I can use on jeep trails, so it's a good compromise.

For the moment, I intend to install a BBSHD on this bike at some point in the future. Not immediately, however.

Since my other bike, the 2004 Giant Sedona with the TSDZ2, is better suited for daily commutes, I might go back to using it more regularly and ride the Rockhopper on weekends. It's nice to have choices.

I am now pretty familiar with mid-drive set-ups after executing two conversions (the TSDZ2 and a BBS02). They are certainly easy to get your head around, since all they do is augment your legs using the same drivetrain as a conventional bike (ie, ride by shifting as usual, etc). However, E-HP's econo e-bike thread has got me jonesing to try a DD hub Frankenstein conversion. I think for this next one, with more basic bicycle experience under my belt, I'll piece together a donor bike. Twenty-six inch wheels are plentiful, so all I have to do is find a really big frame.

simonov said:
It's not exactly appropriate for daily commutes on asphalt and concrete, but I also want something I can use on jeep trails, so it's a good compromise.

It is a hardtail with mounting points for a rack. It is completely appropriate as a commuter. The Tubus Logo rack will allow you to mount a bag further back for heel clearance if you need that. I like the Ortlieb Office Bag with the QL3.1 mount for my laptop. It easily pulls off the bike and looks nondescript in the office. Add some lights and you are good to go.

office-bag-ps36c-21l-ql3-1_f70726_avatar_1.jpg

MTA: For tires, you might consider something like the Schwalbe Johnny Watts, which can be use on and off road.

ftvoi4298t2hp1r6nh0u0pid1u_hs604_schwalbe_johnny-watts_profil.png

Chalo said:
Quinc said:
Chalo said:
Quinc said:
Get a Sur-ron.

Have you not seen one before? They're for dwarves and children.

I have one with every mod on it. It does awesome with me 6' 240lbs.

You be you.
[youtube]gvDSEysVFqM[/youtube]

LOL I was just riding my kids KDX 50. (smallest kid mx bike you can get.) And now I know what I must look like. :lol:

Back