Biggest Problems With DIY e-Anything

kj34nck5

1 µW
So, I am wondering what are other people’s biggest issues with working on their e-anything. I have found that the hardest thing for me, is closing the circuit and other electrical and wiring events.

I watch videos on youtube and I read articles and look at schematics. But I’ll get the whole thing wired up and it will turn on… But it won’t go. Then I read that the circuit isn’t closed. And it always confuses me as to what that actually means. Because, the original components were plug and play, the new components are supposed to be matched as a set, yet it isn’t plug and play and some form of rewiring has to happen.

It can be frustrating. I’m sure I just need to think of the issue a different way, but I am not quite sure how to make it sink in. I’m not talking about one specific setup; it’s just a generalization as to how it always seems to work out.

Any suggestions?

To make more than basic generic suggestions, we would need complete specifics about the actual situation and parts.

Beyond that, generically:

Plug and play is not really a thing in almost all cases.

It almost always takes some DIY, and experience in that form of DIY, to put systems together. It's no different than putting a computer together--'anyone" can do it, but if they have never done this before *and had to solve problems doing it*, they are probably going to have a frustrating time of it. (they might still, but having encountered and solved similar problems before, at least they have a direction to start in).

That's part of why this forum is here, to help with this. ;)

Regarding circuits and terminology: If you're not familiar with electrical stuff, I'd recommend places like AllAboutCircuits that have tutorials and whatnot to learn them, depending on how deep you want to go.

In it's most basic meaning, closing a circuit means there is a connection that must be made to let current flow. What it means in a specific situation depends on the situation and parts/wiring involved, and how the person saying or writing the statement understands electrical stuff, and what they mean by it.

Sometimes people use terms incorreclty, such as saying they have a short when they really mean an open or bad connection, simply because they have some intermittent problem and they think that short means that (because it has been misused that way so often for so long). So whether closing a circuit really means closing a circuit....depends.

Regarding "PnP" sets: If you are literally replacing the entire electrical system of a bike, scooter, etc., with a new one, and it has a comprehensive manual that tells you step by step how to connect it all up, in what order, and then what settings to use for the parts that come in that kit, then it is easy if it's properly designed and kitted.

If you are replacing only *parts* of a system, then there is *always* DIY, and always things to figure out, however few.

So, the only suggestion I can really make about such things is to either replace *everything* wiht something already known to you to be truly PnP, or to be prepared for possibly significant DIY.

What other kind of suggestions or information are you looking for? Specifics will help us help you better.

FWIW, the most frustrating thing here on the forums about DIY anything is the people that come here with a problem but won't tell us enough details for us to be able to provide a solution, sometimes because they don't know what info to provide (and/or won't read the questions we ask), and sometimes because they don't think we need to know those things to help them so they simply won't tell us but still expect us to solve their problem. ;)

Like this guy, for instance:

The other frustrating thing is the ones that post questions and never come back to read or reply to the answers or further questions.

how the person saying or writing the statement understands electrical stuff
I wonder what "closing the circuit" means for kj34nck5

As a new-ish ebike repair and build guy I see the trees/forest but find the "woods" starts the moment I think I know what I'm doing.

I'm super glad to be learning and overcoming. It's a lot of work and requires a bit of, hard-to-muster, discipline on my part.

I’m sure I just need to think of the issue a different way
Yup, you and me both!

Thanks to the ES people here I've been "redirected" multiple times. Kudos to you all.

If you want, please elaborate on what you mean. Evaluating strategy or approach is a lot of homework!

So, I am wondering what are other people’s biggest issues with working on their e-anything. I have found that the hardest thing for me, is closing the circuit and other electrical and wiring events.

I watch videos on youtube and I read articles and look at schematics. But I’ll get the whole thing wired up and it will turn on… But it won’t go. Then I read that the circuit isn’t closed. And it always confuses me as to what that actually means. Because, the original components were plug and play, the new components are supposed to be matched as a set, yet it isn’t plug and play and some form of rewiring has to happen.
If you don't have an electronics background there's a limit to what you can do with plug-and-play.

Bluetti power systems? They're plug and play. You can put them together and have a pretty high certainty they will work.

A complete Grin bike conversion system? More complex - it will take some mechanical work, and you'll have to be able to do some tests on your own. But they will probably work without too many issues.

But a cheap Chinese controller that claims it's plug-and-play? To replace another controller that's a bit different? You are not going to have much luck. You're going to need to understand basic electronics, be able to use a meter, be able to splice wire, solder terminals and crimp contacts, and generally be able to work from simple (i.e. ensure power is applied) up to complex (i.e. are the Halls firing in the right order.)

Back to the original question.

The hardest part of DIY when i was new was finding out WTF parts to use.
The hardest part after 13 years of building ebikes is now preventing flat tires.. but i may have that issue solved soon.

Back