Bike isn't behaving quite the same

adamsavage79

100 W
I had to replace the Motor wire for my bike, but that didn't work. So the entire Motor was replaced. The bike does work normally for the most part, but I find after reaching about 40 kph, the motor starts throttling the power and it's quite the effort to get it to go past 43 kph on a flat surface. Before, I was able to cruise @ 42-43 with motor near full power. I found a you tube video that shows the full settings in the LCD, but without knowing what the default settings are. I'm not comfortable with tinkering with that.

If I had the default settings, I could compare to what I see now, and perhaps see why the controller or LCD is causing the motor to dial back the power.

Links to the Bike and LCD Video:

What make/model motor do you have? And is your display unlocked so you can adjust the P and C settings?

Last edited:
I had to replace the Motor wire for my bike, but that didn't work. So the entire Motor was replaced. The bike does work normally for the most part, but I find after reaching about 40 kph, the motor starts throttling the power and it's quite the effort to get it to go past 43 kph on a flat surface. Before, I was able to cruise @ 42-43 with motor near full power. I found a you tube video that shows the full settings in the LCD, but without knowing what the default settings are. I'm not comfortable with tinkering with that.

If I had the default settings, I could compare to what I see now, and perhaps see why the controller or LCD is causing the motor to dial back the power.
If the controller wasn't replaced or it's settings changed, then you shouldn't have to do anything with those to fix the problem. (if they were changed or it was replaced you need to state that, or any other system changes, for us to help troubleshoot properly).

If the motor was replaced with an identical motor, the system should behave identically. (if it is not identical you would need to state what the original motor was, and what it was replaced with, and the differences between them, for us to help troubleshoot properly).

If it does not, something is wrong or different with the new motor, or something else in the system was damaged by whatever caused the motor wire to have to be replaced.

If the motor wire was damaged in a way that allowed shorts between any wires, the controller itself could be damaged and need to be replaced (even if it appears to work normally otherwise, it could have damage to FETs that doesn't allow full current or that causes incorrect phase currents to flow to/from the motor).

The Motor is a 500 Watter 48V Hub Motor (that's all the informationI have on it), and yes I did have some short issues with the wires, due to them being exposed. However, they where taped up and waterproofed and bike worked fine after, with the odd glitch once in a while. Though the glitches happned here and there, before the wire became damaged.

I want to test ride the exact same bike model with the max speed limit changed, and see if handing the same way.

Are there any markings on the motor and a label on the controller with a make and model number?

Even if the motor was replaced with one from the same manufacturer, it may have a different turn count which means it may not be as fast as your previous motor, but may have more torque.

Some motors have the manufacturer, model number and turn count labelled on the casing. And controllers usually have a label on them with some details of the manufacturer and model.

Try to post photographs if you can.

Another thing to consider is that most manufactured bikes will have their display locked with a password, so you are unable to change the advanced settings.

Here is a picture of the markings on the motor. The controller I don't have acess to as it's inside the frame. I believe there is a way to slide it out, by taking the battery out though.

Attachments

• 20230529_023853.jpg
    20230529_023853.jpg
    1,021.4 KB · Views: 0
I made a new thread, for a different topic, but still related to the bike. I also included more info on the bike.

Back