Bike Jump Fail

The kind I ride, no doubt, a cheap mongoose. But I wouldn't try to jump it.

Hence the warning sticker "FOR ON ROAD USE ONLY" that's near the stem. Tho the dude did land that real bad-like. I recall breaking the headtube off my bmx as a kid doing bmx stuff with it... It sucks they can get away with selling underbuilt bikes through redefining normal use by putting a sticker on the bike warning not to use it for it's implied pupose.

Well, lotsa bikes would have a hard time with that landing unless they were a full on DH bike. Too funny the guy is named Dan. I'm an Danny, by the way. My wife has a brother named Danny too. Back in colledge she had classes with my older brother, and they would sit around trading Danny did this and went to the hospital stories all day. My brother in law has me beat, he did a swan dive off a two story roof and landed on his face. I'm a close second, for the time I ran out of the house as a full burn fireball. Never get contact cement on yourself and get near an open flame. :lol: :lol: :lol: My wife says name your kid Danny and he'll spend his life looking for a lions mouth to stick his head into.

But just about any other DH bike would have survived that. Thing is that one was 6 years old and second hand, presumably well used and so much weaker from fatigue, new it coulda survived. Compounded by the way the bike has the stock Marzochi Z5, they arn't really ideal for this kinda use and have a rep for breaking when abused. If the bike were a year older it coulda survived since Kona stopped putting them on Stinkys in 2003. In Marzochi's case if you have one of those forks you can compain about it and they'll send you a better one. Both these companies chose to adress broken designs rather then putting a "DO NOT USE" sticker on them, a completely different philosophy. Also in this case the user was defective, can't blame the companies that the chain to come off so the dude couldn't accelerate to clear the gap, if he had bothered with basic maintenance the bike likely would have survived.

Back