Decathlon hub motor with no limit controller

Olika

1 µW
Hi All!

I recently purchased the LONGTAIL R500 E-bike motor from Decathlon, and I'm eager to optimize its performance. I've also acquired a 48V controller without a brand name (see attached images).

My goal is to eliminate the speed limit and incorporate throttle control into my setup.

The motor comes with a 3-pin connector. Could anyone provide guidance on how to connect the motor to the controller in a way that enables throttle usage and bypasses the speed limit?

Thank you for your assistance!

Oliver

Attachments

• Képernyőfotó 2024-04-24 - 9.46.32.png
    Képernyőfotó 2024-04-24 - 9.46.32.png
    747.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Képernyőfotó 2024-04-24 - 10.29.27.png
    Képernyőfotó 2024-04-24 - 10.29.27.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
There are a couple of things that you need to check first.

If you have a canbus system then you will need to make sure the battery will work with your new controller. Some of these e-bikes have a canbus interface between the battery and controller which means the battery won’t provide power to the controller if a canbus interface is not present.

Secondly you need to make sure the battery can deliver 23 amps to the controller. If the controller tries to pull more current from the battery than it can provide then you will ruin the battery very quickly.

Also check the motor cable carefully. It would be unusual for motors these days to only have three pins. The big pins are easy to see, but the small pins for the hall sensor wires are very small. If you really only have a 3 pin motor connector then the motor is sensorless and the controller you have purchased may not work, in which case you will need to buy a sensorless controller.

Thirdly you need to check the motor is capable of running at 1100 watts without overheating.

Did the controller come with a display?

HI AGS,

Thanks for your tips.
No, the controller came without a display.
I used with a different motor without any display.

Is that a good news?: )

Best,

Oliver

Last edited:
Please provide a link to the controller in order to translate the text. Please also provide a pic of the motor connector pins.

Why do you think there is a speed limit?

Last edited:
Please provide a link to the controller in order to translate the text.
Really? This is 2024. Just point AI at it. Here's what Google AI says -

Attachments

• control1.JPG
    control1.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 6
Ya I guessed them all and pointed google translate at them and confirmed I was correct. I want the rest of the description, but you can take over from here. Thx.

(My reply came off as a bit snarky. Apologies. Not intended....)

(My reply came off as a bit snarky. Apologies. Not intended....)
No problem. What bothers me is the OP said his motor has a 3 pin connector, so either there's another connector, or some small pins on the motor connector he's not seeing, or it's just 3 pins. Not enough detail to tell if the controller can run sensorless.

Could anyone provide guidance on how to connect the motor to the controller in a way that enables throttle usage and bypasses the speed limit?
Connecting the motor to the controller doesn't have anything to do with throttle usage *or* the speed limit (or bypassing it).

You would need to provide all of your available information about the controller itself and your specific throttle for us to possibly tell you how to use it with your throttle (if it is even possible) and to determine if the controller has an actual speed limit and how to bypass that (if it is even possible).

If it does have a speed limit, we'd need to see the manual for the controller or the manufacturer's / seller's specification/information pages to see if there is a way to bypass it.

Normally, for displayless (headless) controllers, speed limits are programmed into the controllers at the factory, or set by the dealer, seller, or user in the controller using a bluetooth connection to a phone or a serial/USB connection to a computer, and using an app or program provided by the manufacturer of the controller itself.

It used to be reasonably common for speed limited controllers to have a wire pair you connect or disconnect to enable/disable that limit, but this is not very common anymore.

Back