Bike Lust

Zoot Katz

100 kW
Just saw this pic of a longtail from the Interbike show.

IMG_0908.JPG

It appears the rear wheel is smaller to keep the load lower.

The bikes hauled their own display booth to the show.

No lack of room for batteries.

Perfect to carry the surfboard.

You guys should be scouring the local area for cheap old tandems if this is what you want. Unbolt teh stoker stuff, a few cuts grinds bolts, skip and a jump later you're there.

vanilla ice said:
You guys should be scouring the local area for cheap old tandems if this is what you want. Unbolt teh stoker stuff, a few cuts grinds bolts, skip and a jump later you're there.

Better yet, use the stoker stuff as the motor's drive train.

dogman said:
Perfect to carry the surfboard.

I don't see any accomdation for long items except hanging off the rear deck. Searching for any more information on the Madsen has been futile.

There's a Long Loader accessory for the Xtracycle that might work better for surfboards.
LL-002_1215013737.jpg

I've carried a wooden 6ft Grade I step ladder off the rear deck. It is a handful. A wooden 5ft Grade III is a piece of cake.
The lower deck height and more rigid construction of the Madsen would probably make a difference.

I used to have a Dahon folding bike with 20" wheels. The cargo rack was at about the same height as that longtail. The low cargo height was fantastic for carrying heavy groceries, etc.

True enough, a surfboard for a guy my age wouldn't fit, but the whippersnappers ride boards about 5 feet long or less. Of couse some of it would stick out the back.

Sturdly said:

Check this one out, fitted with a mega bucket.

Details here http://www.madsencycles.com/

Not many details in the specs. The rear brake mounted under the chainstay looks hokey. I wonder if there's mounts for a rear disc caliper.
$1099 MSRP or $200 more with the 40 gal. bucket means it is reasonably priced.
As long as the crank, brakes and wheels aren't too low-end it should do well in the longtail market.

Thanks for the link. I want to test ride one.

northernmike said:
Anyone tried one yet?
Cycle 9 is a dealer for Madsen Cycles and they currently have the bucket model on sale for $997.00!
The oversize Hi-Ten tubing and plastic bucket sort of puts me off. (I'm not hauling kids and/or dogs)
Were there a painted, butted, naked Cro-Mo frame and fork available for that price. . . that would be too tempting to not build a an ebike around it.

I'd hate to try and carry that one up a flight of steps and then pop it on its back wheel to take through the apartment door.

x5 on that 20" rear wheel and 24S lipos. Can you say drift bike? oh hells yeah :twisted:

As long as the subject of Bike Lust has resurfaced, let it be known that a Pedersen is the bike after which I've lusted long before seeing the Madsen.

Cargo bikes are cool. I like longjohns and longtails. Trikes have hauled pianos (and the whole band). They're cool too
Electrified they're all better unless it's dead flat and never any wind. If you can go off-grid for recharging a buzzed one, you're laughing.

The Pedersen of my dreams would retain its classic purity but with modern components.
Disc brakes front and rear, SON generator front hub, NuVinci rear and a Schlumpf drive.

The Pedersen is undoubtedly the most comfortable upright bike you'll ever ride.
Riding a Pedersen leaves you wondering why all bike weren't made this way.

I'd willingly sell six bikes in order to make room for one in the stable.

You are joking about the Pederson right? Or have i got
the wrong bicycle?

http://www.pedersen.info/welcome.html

Looks like a tall bike gone wrong. OMG OMG OMG i just seen the price of them...

:-|

KiM

Hey Zoot! Maybe I'm just a Phillistine at heart but I dont get the Pederson. What is the seat attached to? I hope not a metal bar, as it would be like "sliding down the razor blade of life". Really odd bike. What makes them special?
otherDoc

The saddle is a hammock suspended between the head tube and seat tubes. Two small rods attached at the rear dropout hold it in tension
The advantage is the comfortable, upright riding position, especially for cyclists with back problems.
The wrists are under no pressure and the shoulders are relaxed.
The head stays upright unlike with most other bicycles and so gives you a better view of the traffic.

The saddle sways slightly from side-to-side eliminating chafing.
The geometry of every triangle is such that the weight is borne at the apex and the tubes are only handling compressive loads.

It's an elegant classic thoroughbred and a head turner in any crowd.
It's the last radical bike design before settling into the typical diamond frame safety bike of today.

Ah ha! Thanks Zoot. It does have that "birdcage" elegance kinda like the Moulton.
otherDoc

Other than a hammock my most comfortable trike, (tadpole) that I have is one that I built from scratch, it is built around a office chair with arms (added a inflateable truckers air seat/pad). I sat in the chair after it was mounted, placed my arms/hands out in front of me where they felt the most natural, then proceded to place the handle/steering grips, brakes, etc. in easy reach, along with large dual mirrors just below eye level for full rear viewing.

It also has a perm 132 motor, direct drive with electrical braking, to a 16", 3.5" wide tire, 20" front wheels/48 spoke 14mm axels, disk brakes, and Li batterys.

Back