• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Bill looks to allow electric skateboards on the road

sk8norcal

1 MW
see video,
http://blog.sfgate.com/stew/2014/03/11/california-bill-would-pave-way-for-electric-skateboards/

Assemblywoman Kristin Olsen, R-Modesto, who represents parts of San Joaquin and Stanislaus counties, unveiled AB 2054 Tuesday, a bill that would permit electrically motorized skateboards to share the road with other modes of transportation.

The self-propelled skateboards were banned from street use in 1977, Olsen said, because the gas-powered boards that were around at that time were noisy and produced a fair amount of pollution.

“Now, these electrically powered boards are clean and quiet,” she told The Chronicle in an interview. “We shouldn’t be subjecting their users to infractions for using such an environmentally friendly product. AB 2054 simply seeks to modernize this antiquated law.”

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local-govt-politics/bill-looks-allow-electric-skateboards-road/nd9dH/

SAN FRANCISCO — KTVU has learned that a new bill will be announced in Sacramento Tuesday that would allow certain skateboards on the road where they currently are banned.
Right now, you can ride regular skateboards on some roads and paths, but electric skateboards are banned everywhere. The proposed bill would change that.
Electric skateboards are still a novelty but they are gaining some traction.
Ben Foreman of San Francisco is co-founder of an electric skateboard company Intuitive Motion. He says the Modesto-based company has shipped electric skateboards to 45 countries.
He says these boards are about helping commuters.
The electric motor is powered by a large lithium ion phosphate battery and it can go up to 18 miles-per -hour forward and up to four miles-per-hour in reverse.
The 32-pound skateboard even goes up hills.
"It's not about doing tricks or slides or grinds, it's about replacing a vehicle, so instead of being in a car, you're on an electric skateboard, instead of being on a bike, you're on an electric skateboard," said Foreman.
One woman who is a regular commuter by bus says it might be something she'd consider.
"If I could cut my commute and enjoy some fresh air, why not?" said Tatyana Shtyrkova
There's a big barrier though. California Vehicle Code 21068 bans electric skateboards from all roads, sidewalks, paths and trails.
"We think they should be able to ride this where they can ride a bike," Foreman told KTVU.
Now, a bill is being introduced that would change the law and allow people to ride electric skateboards anywhere that bicycles are allowed. That includes bike lanes on streets as well as bike paths, it would not include sidewalks.
Some longtime skateboarders say it's an interesting idea, but say electric skateboards are very different from traditional boards.
"They need to be regulated or controlled because they can go pretty fast. They can be pretty dangerous I think," said Kent Uyehara, owner of the well-known FTC Skate Boarding company.
Assemblywoman Kristin Olsen of Modesto plans to announce her bill Tuesday morning in Sacramento.
It will likely go through the transportation committee in the coming weeks.

This is a great idea and it has needed to happen for a long time. We will all need to work on better brake systems if we want to be equal to cyclists though.

Yeah. Heard about this as well. I ride in downtown sf and havent had any issues. I agree the braking needs work a secondary physical brake like brakeboard or the baja servo brakes through remote should fix it. Air tires are needed for higher speeds in sf. Seen tons of cops but none stopped me yet.

torqueboards said:
Yeah. Heard about this as well. I ride in downtown sf and havent had any issues. I agree the braking needs work a secondary physical brake like brakeboard or the baja servo brakes through remote should fix it. Air tires are needed for higher speeds in sf. Seen tons of cops but none stopped me yet.

Big in-wheel-motors gives you the ability to have excellent braking when coupled to something like a Lebowski controller tuned correctly. No added mechanical complexity, cost, or added failure modes needed. It can even brake and actively hold you stationary if you want (it will consume a tiny bit of pack energy a a little bit of motor heating to do it).

liveforphysics said:
Big in-wheel-motors gives you the ability to have excellent braking when coupled to something like a Lebowski controller tuned correctly. No added mechanical complexity, cost, or added failure modes needed. It can even brake and actively hold you stationary if you want (it will consume a tiny bit of pack energy a a little bit of motor heating to do it).

I definitely agree. I'm not sure, why I didn't post that in my original comment as well. I wish there were 5-6" and/or 8" hub motors available to mount on my eboard. Thanks for the link for the lebowski controller - definitely a nice read I need to take a deeper look into that. Do you also know any good links for creating a hub motor?

torqueboards said:
liveforphysics said:

I definitely agree. I'm not sure, why I didn't post that in my original comment as well. I wish there were 5-6" and/or 8" hub motors available to mount on my eboard. Thanks for the link for the lebowski controller - definitely a nice read I need to take a deeper look into that. Do you also know any good links for creating a hub motor?

You can buy 6", 8", 10", etc. hub motors from http://www.mwmotor.net/index.php

This bill sounds great!

I particularly like this part:
"(A) Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of not more than 20 miles per hour on ground level."

So your board must be capable of more than 20mph.

The ebike consumer finds too often that their store-bought ebike is too damn slow! This should protect the consumer from this problem.

How difficult would it be to make a tiny hubmotor with KVs suitable for e-boards? Someone here would have to design it, and have some shady chinese company produce it and then start to clone it. :mrgreen:

23skidoo said:
This bill sounds great!

I particularly like this part:
"(A) Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of not more than 20 miles per hour on ground level."

So your board must be capable of more than 20mph.

The ebike consumer finds too often that their store-bought ebike is too damn slow! This should protect the consumer from this problem.

LOL, this also means you must get on and off your board when it's going no less than 20mph. :mrgreen:

sk8norcal said:
[youtube]6oB83kThW_U[/youtube]

I rode that board. Even the guy who owned it said it was an awkward design with the feet both balancing and controlling forward and reverse. I didn't feel comfortable on it.

So when's Bill gunna tell us if it's legal or not?

Thats almost like a wake board stance...Nobody longboards that way. Would've been nice to show an appropriate example where she would have looked more comfortable and at least had a chance to have some control.

liveforphysics said:

Lately I've seen quite a bit of promotion for the Lebowski controller and recently a brainboard for it. Aside from the fact that his/her avatar does not inspire much confidence. Also that that you cannot buy one and even the brainboard thing is going to require surface mount assembly. If it is so great why not get a production version for the rest of us. My apologies for ranting.... must have got up on the wrong side of the bed .... just thinking out loud.

drmacgyver said:
Bill looks to allow electric skateboards on the road

Who's this Bill guy? :lol:
[youtube]tyeJ55o3El0[/youtube]

Even the limited use for traveling from where you park a larger vehicle to final destination would justify the effort of modifying that poorly fashioned law. Can you picture the scene where an authority figure is trying to persecute the user of such a device? How absurd!

That bill is kind of restrictive, board has to be less than 1000w total output and must go less than 20mph, my board is out. At least it is a step in the right direction.

That's 20mph only on "ground level" if you're on a structure above or below "ground level" than there's no speed limit! Lol

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/metro/4-Segway-riders-fined-50-yuan-each/shdaily.shtml

4 Segway riders fined 50 yuan each
By Ma Yue | December 12, 2014, Friday | ONLINE EDITION
Shanghai traffic police issued the first fines to Segway riders as well as those who use electric skateboards on city roads.

Yangpu District traffic police caught four violators within 30 minutes along Songhu Road and around Wujiaochang area on Thursday evening. They were either riding a two-wheel Segway or electric skateboard on the road. Each person was fined 50 yuan (US$8.07).

Police said the motorized transporters are banned on city roads due to safety concerns. A rider caught on motor lanes will be fined 50 yuan while those using bicycle lanes will be fined 20 yuan.

According to police the motorized transporters are not easy to control. Some can reach speeds up to 60kph and are not equipped with brakes, increasing the risk of accidents.

Segways, electric unicycles and motorized skateboards are allowed in parks and closed public spaces like neighborhoods.

Back