Bionx 48V battery not working after refurbishing

mr_thijs700

1 µW
Dear electric vehicle enthousiasts,

A couple of days ago I decided to build a new cell-package for my Bionx 48v battery.
Once finished the bms started behaving wierd and the battery does not charge or power the bike anymore.

Once I first connected the charger I heard a rapid series of beeps (about 10) and then the charge port started flashing red.
When I now connect te charger I hear one beep and the charge port lights up red once and than nothing.
The charger continues to give a green light.
When connected to the bike sometimes the display turns on and other times it shows the message 'protect' and then turns itself off.
When the display stays on the battery indicator is 3 bars and the lights will work.

When I refurbished the battery I did resolder the temperature resistors, maybe this influenced something?

I checked the balance wires and main voltage, but everything seems to check out. Battery at 48v all the individual groups at around 3,72v.

The BMS does work, as it turns on, beeps and the charge port gives light.

Maybe someone has had a similar kind of problem or can help me out?

All help is greatly appreciated.

If the BMS got disconnected from the cells it might have bricked the BMS (some manufacturers of whole bike systems like this design the BMS to permanently disable itself and the battery if anything "goes wrong" like power loss to the BMS, or a sense wire disconnection, or a cell group that goes too low (which is what it will think happened if a sense wire breaks).

I don't know that this particular one does this, but there are some that do. There are number of Bionx threads about the 48v batteries, including rebuilds of them, that may have more specific info about it.

It may also just be a resettable error, rather than permanent, but you'd need the Bionx dealer cables and software / codes to do that. Since Bionx went out of business, there aren't many of those but there are still some--you'd probably have to call around places that used to service them to find one, unless you can locate one here on ES in the various Bionx threads.

Syonyk has a number of threads and posts about the BionX stuff, and a webpage too
https://www.sevarg.net/tag/bionx/

Back