Bionx motor on Biomega shaft driven bike

frejohg

1 µW
Hi

I'm building a Biomega bike with a Bionx 3 speed motor.
Currently in the trying to make it work phase of the project but ran in to some troubles.
More pictures and description of the project can be added later if it turns out to be successful or if people are interested.

I'm running a Bionx 3 speed motor from a Smart (Mercedes) ebike. (no Bionx battery or display)
I skipped the torque sensor and I'm running an Arduino Uno with a MCP2515 to send CAN commands to the motor.

So far I've managed to send assist (0x09 address) commands to the motor and it spins.
However heres where I ran in to some trouble.

I can't unlock the motor with the 0xA5 register. The register is always 0xFF and writing to it doesn't work.

The motor assist only works up to 20 kph.

I can change the 0x8B speed limit register, but it only works to set slower speeds than 20 kph, if I set ut to 0x19 or 0x25 it is written successfully but the assist still stops at 25 kph.

I can set the REG_MOTOR_GEOMETRY_CIRC_LO, but the REG_MOTOR_GEOMETRY_CIRC_HI register does not respond to writing.

Currently I'm running the motor off a 24v power supply and the motor status code 0x47 shows no problem. Can it still be some low voltage protection mode?
I have a new 36v battery, but after I purchased that I saw that the Smart bikes are 48v (I thought all Bionx IGH3 motors were 36V, this was the information I found before). So I'm not sure if I should send back the battery and order a new 48V one, I'm hesitating what would be better. I ordered a DC DC step up module to test 48V.

Any help is appreciated

Back