Bizarre Motor Paced Velodrome Racing

I once had to make an electric "gurney" for a pace vehicle for this type of racing. Very odd sport!

I love it. Its a team race with an Ebike and a pedal bike, the Ebike guy is standing up trying to make as large of a turbulent pocket behind him for the pedal bike to draft in. I would love to enter some races like that. How fun!

Jozzer said:
I once had to make an electric "gurney" for a pace vehicle for this type of racing. Very odd sport!

Sounds like gurney but it's called a Derny for its inventor Roger Derny et Fils of the avenue de St Mandé, Paris, France.
Derny.jpg

Zoot Katz said:
Jozzer said:

Sounds like gurney but it's called a Derny for its inventor Roger Derny et Fils of the avenue de St Mandé, Paris, France.
Derny.jpg

Spot on Zoot - 'Derny racing' or more commonly called Motor Paced Racing.

Apparently, crashes are quite rare - although the one I was shown had a nasty crash - so go figure. :mrgreen:

Joseph C. said:
Zoot Katz said:
Jozzer said:

Derny.jpg

Spot on Zoot - 'Derny racing' or more commonly called Motor Paced Racing.

Apparently, crashes are quite rare - although the one I was shown had a nasty crash - so go figure. :mrgreen:
They were, and still are, used in road racing too where it probably gets a bit dicier.
I think most Dernys are antiques that have been upgraded over the years.
Electric is a natural for track racing.

Bizzare all right. I'd hate to be pedalling behind a 2 stroker. Electric would be much better.

BUT, why not just lose the silly lycra guys and let the motorized bikes race without them? That would make a lot more sense.

fechter said:
Bizzare all right. I'd hate to be pedalling behind a 2 stroker. Electric would be much better.

BUT, why not just lose the silly lycra guys and let the motorized bikes race without them? That would make a lot more sense.

Then it would just be bog-standard motorcycle racing with the only bonus being spectators and participants wouldn't get wet or have to face windy conditions.

I think the idea of 80 kph cyclists riding dangerously close to motorcyclists standing up is great. The mix is what makes it appealing. It's like something out of Mad Max. They wouldn't even be standing up in your scenario.

liveforphysics said:
I love it. Its a team race with an Ebike and a pedal bike, the Ebike guy is standing up trying to make as large of a turbulent pocket behind him for the pedal bike to draft in. I would love to enter some races like that. How fun!

Finally, a cycling sport where my aerobelly is an advantage!

Back