Blew It

dumbass

100 kW
Wow, I think I blew it last week. I was at my local Meijer's store and saw a Trek bike there for $229. Honestly I don't remember the color because color is least of my concern. I noticed because I've never seen a Trek at a Meijer's store (or any big box store for that matter). It was a "700" and it said Aluminum or altra light Aluminum on the top bar. I tried picking it up while it was still sitting in the rack and I couldn't believe how light this thing was. I had been thinking about getting a new bike but I wanted to check the weight capasity before plopping down $229 for it. I mentioned it to my wife and she said she had a 20% card for this store so it would have only cost me $183+ tax.

I decided to go back today and buy it but of course it was gone already. So I asked about it and said I was guessing that they had aquired it in error because I had never seen a Trek at their store. After a lot of checking I was told I was right. They had received it in error and had no idea what to sell it for. So they just stuck a $229 price on it. I asked if they thought there was a chance they might get another one and you can guess the answer.

So now I am kicking myself but trying to justify my stupidity and loss by thinking it would likely not have handled the weight of my 225 lbs plus a non-hub motor, Nuvinci hub and life packs.

Something I noticed about it was even though it had front and rear disk brakes it also had "V" brake ability on the suspension fork. So I'm wondering if a bike built with disk brakes and had the mountings for V brakes If both brake types could actually be used together. I was thinking of the dual brake handles that are used to combine the front and rear brake on one halde. If you added the V brake setup on the front and rear and added 2 dual brake levers maybe it would work. If it could be adjusted properly it would offer the best of both worlds of disk and V brakes. Maybe I'll start a new thread on this and see what everone thinks........

Bob

Is this the bike?

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/recreation/hybrid/700/#

If it is I wouldn't kick myself too much.

As for lightness, pretty much any non-motorized bike feels really light to me :wink:

It's funny they didn't know how to price it...doesn't anyone there know about the internet?

Anyway...using BOTH V and disc brakes on the same wheel is probably not a hot idea. :p

-R

Russell said:
Is this the bike?

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/recreation/hybrid/700/#

If it is I wouldn't kick myself too much.

As for lightness, pretty much any non-motorized bike feels really light to me :wink:

It's funny they didn't know how to price it...doesn't anyone there know about the internet?

Anyway...using BOTH V and disc brakes on the same wheel is probably not a hot idea. :p

-R

No, like I said it had front suspention and F/R disk brake. And it had the added suport bar on the fork for V brakes. I'm not at all saying this is the bike kust that this bike looks very much like it
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/dual_sport/ds_series/8_5_ds/#

AS I mentioned I think they got it in error from somewhere and lets be honest I don't think the person is charge of the bike department gave a rats patute what the value was so they weren't going to search the internet. All he knew is he wanted to get rid of it and priced it cheap.

I have to disagree on bike weight. I've got men's steel frames from 37 lbs to 55 lbs. before adding a motor and so on. But this bike was way lighter then any bike I've ever picked up. And this puppy was flat out cool lookin too. A dark color (maybe blank don't remember) with black wheels and hubs.

Certainly won't argue about using both Disk and V brakes on the same wheel. But I think it's an interesting thought that I would like to try sometime. The way I see it all brake types have they good and bad points. So if being able to combine disk and V might work very well together.

Bob

DAND214 said:
Sorry you missed out on that one.

You could of sold it for more.

Why do you need more brakes? You gotta go before you need to stop. Stopping with disc has been no problem.

Happy hunting!

Dan

Hey Dan, How's life treatin ya these days?

Yes your correct I have to go again before I need to worry about stopping. But now that I can walk again I plan to do just that. As I remember you snapped a front fork with your conbined disk brake and front hub setup. I'm not putting down disk brakes but like front hub motors they do stress the fork whereas, V brakes don't. Hence on opinion that all brake systems have their good/bad points.

I have this setup sitting in my shop along side a Nuvinci hub kit that I'm itchin to put on something. That's why I would have liked to pic up that bike so cheaply. I've also found a low cost schwinn with F/R disk brakes that also has the capasity to add V brakes to be added. It's a steel bike with front suspension fork that I think is also steel.

Don't get me wrong about the disk/V brake idea. It's just something I would like to try someday just for fun. This Schwinn bike is a little on the heavy side but it lookd good and for the price looked well made. And I think I can make the motor fit pretty well without killing the bike.

Bob

http://www.thesuperkids.com/15wabmcbr24m.html

dumbass said:
. ....I'm not putting down disk brakes but like front hub motors they do stress the fork whereas, V brakes don't. Hence on opinion that all brake systems have their good/bad points.

Well actually, whilst the brake mounting point is further up the fork leg, the main braking retardation load is still taken on the axle drop outs same as with a disc set up....so i would not use either on a weak fork.
The major difference with a disc, is that ALL the braking torque has to be transmitted through the spokes, whilst a V (rim) brake transmits the torque only round the rim.

The sad part is that they probably got it for $100-125, so that was the correct price and it's only priced higher everywhere else because people are eager to pay more just like they do for any non-bigbox store bike.

similar thing happened to me last week on Ebay.
a BNIB italian espresso machine came up for sale with a $105 "Buy it Now" tag .
Now, some Domestic Espresso machines are not even worth $50 , but i knew this one was a special "semi-pro" unit worth well over $1000, ..so i snapped up the offer and confirmed by Email the delivery cost and freight details.
All fine, but then mysteriously the next day all details of the trade disappeared from my Ebay account ???
Inquiries to Ebay revealed nothing other than the sale had been terminated at the sellers request ??
I am left to work through the Paypal money refund exercise !
Ahh well !

Hillhater said:
similar thing happened to me last week on Ebay.
a BNIB italian espresso machine came up for sale with a $105 "Buy it Now" tag .
Now, some Domestic Espresso machines are not even worth $50 , but i knew this one was a special "semi-pro" unit worth well over $1000, ..so i snapped up the offer and confirmed by Email the delivery cost and freight details.
All fine, but then mysteriously the next day all details of the trade disappeared from my Ebay account ???
Inquiries to Ebay revealed nothing other than the sale had been terminated at the sellers request ??
I am left to work through the Paypal money refund exercise !
Ahh well !

Now that sucks. Surprised that EBay would allow such BS to happen like that.

Many years ago I was remodeling the finished portion of my basement. I went to what I call a big box hardwear store (simular to todays Home Depot). I asked a service guy there for assistance on 24"x24" ceiling tiles. I showed him the one I was interested in and ask the price on it. He looks it up and tells me it's $3 a pack. I said you mean $3 each right? He says "no, $3 a pack of 16". I actually questioned it 3 time and finally he says "anyone who would pay $3 each would have to be stupid". So I ordered 31 packages with 16 tiles to a pack (just short of 2000 sq ft.) for $3 a package or for $93.75+ tax and $35 delivery. My wife said they would never be that stupid and actually deliver the order but they sure did. That order was actually worth $1488+ tax. This outfit has since gone out of bus.......I wonder why!!

Back