• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

BMS-Battery 900 watt charger failure

alex77roma

10 mW
I have the 900 watt battery chargers bought from bms battery about an year ago, setted to 96 volt 7 ampere.
The charger was working fine, but suddently decided to don't work more without outbreak or smoke.
Internally it is all in order, with no trace of burn.
Now if I mesure the otuput voltage I read about only 11 volt.
Has anyone had a similar problem? Any solutions?
Has this type of charger a protection diode?
Is there a chance to repair it?

Mine just died now too... though the transformer went up in smoke...
There is no way to determine the part number, so it is terminal. Time to get a new charger...

are both of you talking about the EMC-1000 charger?

do you know how to open the chargers and take a picture inside? i doubt if the transformer died but the IGBTs that are used for the switching transistors may have shorted. or the schottky diodes on the output.

There are quite a few threads about repairing these chargers, don't give up until you've looked inside. Repairs can be very inexpensive- mine (lower wattage) was repaired for nothing but a bit of time and effort.
And you've got an offer of help from dnmun- what have you got to lose? Even if you order a new one you could end up with a spare one ready for the next breakdown....

yep, i have parts and i actually think the EMC-1000 is the best charger they sell for the money. it is the smaller chargers that usually die. you can buy the IGBTs on ebay for $4 plus $4 shipping on the first and $.10 on the second.

Yes I am sure, it was the smaller transformer that died. Not the IGBT's. It used to have a yellow plastic protective casing around it, it is now black and charred.

It failed previously by the inductor having a bad solder connection, causing a few sparks so I simply resoldered that. 30 charges later, the transformer has gone pop. It is the secondary transformer rather than the primary mains transformer. I have no idea what its windings are therefore cannot buy a replacement.

Back