• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Bought a few swytch kits and have questions about the batteries

Securityguy

10 µW
So I ended up with 4 kits - two pros, one eco and one tour. While riding the bikes with the different kits I noticed that the bikes with the tour battery and eco battery sounded louder then the bikes with the pro batteries.I was looking through the manuals it had a guide on how to change the controller/battery settings and found something interesting. When I went into the pro settings the max power was set to 80%. The eco kit which looks exactly the same but supposedly uses inferior cells was set at 100%. Now the tour battery is bigger and uses a different controller but I can only assume it’s set to 100% because the motor sounds nearly identical to the eco kit when running.

I emailed them and they said that they limit it to 80 percent to prolong battery life. They didn’t explain the power differences and why the others are set to 100. Anyone here have any insight on this?

It's well known that for most Lithium chemistry, charging to 80% (and not going below 20%) will increase battery life markedly. Probably the better battery provides enough power at 80% while the others need to start at 100%. It would be advisable, if you're going to charge to 100%, to do so just before use.

All electric motors get louder as more power (Watts) are available to the motor. Hub motors, w/ their housing connected to the spokes tend to amplify the sound.
I don't know anything about the Swytch kits, but I doubt the controller ratings (Amps) is high enough to tax the battery, or anything else.
With the very small battery capacity, they probably got tired of fielding complaints about limited range and are now telling folks to "tone it down", to try and mitigate the situation a bit.
Just a guess.

Those Swytch batteries are 36V5ah and 36V7ah. I run a few low power ebikes on 36V, using 4AH packs in parallel, sometimes one 5AH pack by itself. If I only charged to 80%, I'd havenothing left.

I could see them limiting the current, but there's not enough reserve capacity to be doing a partial charge.

Back