box for ping battery ?

I looked at some stuff like that too, but in my climate, I HAD to ventilate my bms. The aluminum box inside the steel box works good as a heat sink. Over the winter, I had to stuff the box with some insulation though.

i've not monitored temperature yet on my packs but its still working. i'll check it tonight after my 11mile commute.

Well I have about 10 trips of my soft panniers and I am not happy with them.
The website advertises them: 15.5" x 12" x 3.5"
And half of a ping 48V 20ah is 10.25" x 6" x 3" but they don't fit right. The 3.5" part, I think the bags taper down because the fit is so tight it doesn't even sit flush on the bottom of the bag. So there is no room for wrapping insulation.

I am considering going this route for my next improvement:View attachment 50calbox.jpg
50 cal ammo cans. 12”x 6" x 7" with enough room to cut a hole and mount the controller fins sticking out in the air stream if I want.
They can be bought for about $8-10 each too.

You guys have seen this setup before, probably, but my solution holds two 15ah 48v pings on front axle extenders, actually they are titanium buddy pegs made for a BMX. Actually, the front axle came from a BMX also. The extra diameter provides a sturdy mount. The weight is about 16lbs on each side of the wheel, and combined, its about the same weight as the Clyte hub motor in the rear. I've ridden it for 3500 miles so far, and no problems. Is the handling different...? Yes, it is, but I got used to it quickly, and don't notice it much now. The boxes came from my local metal scrap yard, just large triangular aluminum tubing cut to length and shot full of holes to lighten them up. I stuffed some flat foam under the bats for shock absorption and to wedge them in. I machined some mounts to hang the boxes on the buddy pegs.

Also, this is strictly a road machine, I don't use it for off-road. If I did decide to do that, I would add brake cable stays from the outside of the support rods to the top of the fork tubes, creating a strong triangle support geometry.

SteveCA

:D :lol: :mrgreen: Won't soon forget the chihuahua catcher.

Heres my battery box:

http://www.fuertecases.com/Merchant2/me ... ry_Code=S3

They can come with watertight wire seals:
http://www.fuertecases.com/wireseal_install.html

They are water proof and pretty tough, made of ABS plastic.
I will soon be able to lock it to the bike. That will be possible when I wrap a chain around the box, through its handle, and secure it with 3 padlocks(one in the middle on two through the box holes).

The battery is a Ping, custom sized, 48V16AH V2. The fit was tighter than I expected(I would recommend slightly roomier box or different size battery)
I've put the charger inside. Nothing in the box can move and all sides are padded. So I shouldn't have charger damage. For charging I will be able to undo the latches and crack it open with out unlocking the chain(so no charging in the rain unfortunately. If I added a heat sink I might be able to charge it underwater!).

DSC00035.jpg
DSC00032.jpg
DSC00031.jpg

That case looks awesome.

Careful with the ping charger like that. I melted mine so badly it wasn't rectangular shaped afterwards simply by letting it charge in a bag.
Now I take mine completely out and let it sit on concrete while charging.

I agree, that charger is gonna melt someday. And it's not made with bouncing around on the bike in mind. Several chargers later, if I carry a charger, it's in my messenger bag where it won't bounce much. The controller may be made with some vibration expexted, but I garantee the charger is not. The bms could use a bit of ventilation too, In my opinion.

The lid of the case is cracked open during charging. The charger is oriented in such a way that the little fan blows all the hot air to the right, out of that side of the opening, and pulls outside air through the left side of opening.
The BMS seems to only warm up during balancing at the end of a charge cycle. It's also oriented diagonally under the charger so it has air all around it, the shrink wrap is cut open slightly.

I've been wondering about the charger breaking from vibrations.
Dogman where did you have your chargers when they broke? How well had you secured them and everything around them? My charger is squeezed in their so tightly it pushes the side of case out slightly.
To me having a charger on the bike at all times seems like a good idea. I'm trying to find 60v power supply that I can buy from here in the US as an extra charger so I don't have to ship one over all the way from ping. Anyone know of any?

I just thought about how this black box will really warm up in hot sunny weather. I'll probably just paint it silver, or cover it with some fabric(this would also increase security slightly).

I was carrying the chargers in a battery bag on the rear rack, or in the basket of a trike. One charger was repairable, having had just the wiring shake loose on both input and output sides. The other one just toasted when some parts inside moved and shorted it out. I was thinking you would be charging with the whole thing shut. On my Ping v1 bms, if I ride hard with it shut up inside an insualted bag, I start getting cutouts. They go away if I open up the bag top. On the bike I ride most of the time, I have a well ventilated metal toolbox with the battery inside.

Well you do live in a very hot place dogman. Not much of a need for waterproofing. In dry weather I could run with the box cracked open for ventilation, if I get cut outs.

It sounds like you just placed the chargers in a battery bag where they could get shaken and banged around. The way my charger is secured it will not move at all, and is damped from vibrations.

I'm using one of those Otivia rack trunks. It works pretty well, but rattles a bit. I'm upgrading to a ping v2.5, which is in the mail, and will take the opportunity to reconfigure and use expanding foam to set things in place and keep the rattles down without adding too much weight.

2851908074_fb73a806e0.jpg

2851074661_793af05679.jpg

Here is a chopper project I am working on. I will put the battery in the saddle bag. It should be pretty stealth when I am done. I plan to do a separate thread on it when I get all the pieces ready for the conversion.

3493916643_cbb8ffd4dd.jpg

dogman said:
I have mine in a vintage metal toolbox that fits just right, with just a bit of space for cushioning foam. Inside the box, the battery itelf is wrapped in a very tight fitting aluminum box, made from a cookie sheet bent around 5 sides of the battery. Any rubbing going on in there is between the aluminum box and the steel toolbox. The carry handle allows me to lift it out to charge off the bike if I want, or put on another bike. Its of course, made of duct tape.

wow -- just wow! I have the very same vintage toolbox in the same color I inherited from my dad.
Gary

dogman said:
Whatever works, there are a million possibilities. I can't stress too much how nice the cookie sheet wrap works though, when I crashed I had the cookie sheet box in a standard 36v battery bag. It tore the corner of the bag and dented the cookie sheet, but the precious ping was unharmed. I went to the ER though. Here is a pic of just the cookie sheet box. No fasteners, just bent and folded neatly at the corners, and a bit of duct tape padding on the edges.

lol. gotta give u a thumbs up for the copious use of duct tape to match the battery :)

Nothing wrong with it, provided it doesn't show as you ride along. Back then, the whole ping came wrapped up in duct tape. Some folks howled about how cheap the tape was , etc etc. I wonder how many of the batteries they were using instead, such as the metal case ones from golden motor, are still kicking as good as my tape battery, 2.5 years later? Most of the metal cased batteries used sucky 18650 round cells and didn't tend to last very long. Mostly they were made too small for the motor.

I use a Plano 1412 waterproof "fishing box" for my Ping 48V 15Ahr. It fits perfectly, with just enough room for some yellow closed cell foam around the battery, inside the box (except over the BMS), and the foam around the battery creates a small cavity for the BMS which can get some air around it. It also has a feature of its lid, with an innner lid compartment, which can be drilled with some small holes, to enable heat to rise out of the box into the lid cavity, away from the BMS. It is pretty water resistant, plastic etc. I use it with wire mesh office trays zip tied on top of my rack, and the box fits snugly into the wire trays, with a bungy holding it into the tray. Easy to remove from the tray. I charge the battery with the lid open, as this is when the BMS gets hottest, I gather...

See here what it looks like:

http://www.northwaleskayakfishing.co.uk/id182.html

Back