BRD RedShift electric motorcycles

We also caught the debut of brd Motorcycles 2013 Redshift MX bike. The company’s industrial designer, Jeff Sand, said the electric motocrosser has the power output of a Lites class motorcycle. A peek at the spec sheet reveals it has a claimed 65 mile range with a top speed of 65 mph. It is powered by a 40 hp PMAC, liquid-cooled brushless motor with a 5.2 kWh Lithium-Ion battery. The front is anchored by a WP 48mm inverted fork with 11.8 inches of travel to go with a WP monoshock on the rear that is adjustable for preload, rebound and compression. It tips the scales at a reported 250 pounds and by all appearance is a solidly built ride, but its $15,000 sticker price is sure to raise a few eyebrows

From here http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/305/12293/Motorcycle-Article/2012-Indianapolis-Dealer-Expo-Report---Friday.aspx

Does that make 80wh/mile the new de-factor motorcycle power consumption for range testing?

Seems a bit optimistic to me...

Not necessarily. I was getting 70 Wh/km from Voltron around the streets... not sure how many bushels to the cubit that is, but seems pretty good to me.

jonescg said:
Not necessarily. I was getting 70 Wh/km from Voltron around the streets... not sure how many bushels to the cubit that is, but seems pretty good to me.

:) I love unit converstion.

its about 1.6 times that in miles, or around 112wh/mi.

Nissan Leaf consumes about 160 Wh / mile @ 35 mph.
http://postimage.org/image/6toajirz3/

A motorcycle consuming half of what a car consumes doesn't seem too low to me.

~100 wh/mile is the figure I usually use, but I have no good reason or data to support it :)

bearing said:
Nissan Leaf consumes about 160 Wh / km @ 35 mph.
http://postimage.org/image/6toajirz3/

A motorcycle consuming half of what a car consumes doesn't seem too low to me.

nice thanks.

I'm just trying to figure out what average riding style might mean on the road, and it sounds like ~100wh/mile or 75wh/km is not a bad rule of thumb.

I wrote that wrong. Leaf consumes 160Wh per mile at that speed (not per km). I initially wrote 100Wh/km @ 56km/h, then I converted it to american units, and missed to change the actual unit.

bearing said:
I wrote that wrong. Leaf consumes 160Wh per mile at that speed (not per km). I initially wrote 100Wh/km @ 56km/h, then I converted it to american units, and missed to change the actual unit.

Wow, that's really good... that's only like 3x the energy of an ebike at the same speed.

on topic
I sat on one of these at the motorcycle show in Indianapolis last saturday.....it is a pretty nice bike. full White power suspension packadge (means totaly tunable for a guy like me). the guys were all talking to other dealer reps when i was in their booth but i could hear the tall tails about ho GReat this unit is going to be!

anyway the show model was all production parts & it was totaly detailed.....every thing was in its place & no loose ends anywhere. I really wanted to try one out...but that was not a posibility.

I am talkiing to my local dealer about picking up Zero's or these...or something....He's disgruntled with Honda after getting his teritory steped on by a growing super dealer in the area (who is dealing all 4 jap brands now after buying up all the other bike shops in muskegon)

any way...i was impressed....waiting for the E-motocross soot out in MXA soon :p

Thud said:
on topic
I sat on one of these at the motorcycle show in Indianapolis last saturday.....it is a pretty nice bike. full White power suspension packadge (means totaly tunable for a guy like me). the guys were all talking to other dealer reps when i was in their booth but i could hear the tall tails about ho GReat this unit is going to be!

anyway the show model was all production parts & it was totaly detailed.....every thing was in its place & no loose ends anywhere. I really wanted to try one out...but that was not a posibility.

I am talkiing to my local dealer about picking up Zero's or these...or something....He's disgruntled with Honda after getting his teritory steped on by a growing super dealer in the area (who is dealing all 4 jap brands now after buying up all the other bike shops in muskegon)

any way...i was impressed....waiting for the E-motocross soot out in MXA soon :p

I Think if your a small dealship, and you're not thinking about some of the new electric companies right now, you're missing out. Huge opportunity to get in early without much upfront investment.

http://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/Dealer-Expo-2012-BRD-Motorcycles,5600/bturman,20779?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=addthis#.T0Pg8befi08.facebook

[strike]BRD[/strike] Alta Motors at the track ..
http://vimeo.com/109275876

2015 Alta RedShift motorcycle :
10708595_696645067080432_4714533588034976173_o.jpg

10547759_696645070413765_1057103241298100601_o.jpg

10694435_696645460413726_4358474745684139050_o.jpg

10448643_696645463747059_8634323377475347448_o.jpg

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/were-still-waiting-for-the-ultimate-electric-hoon-machi-1647357828

That's exciting. That's a real MX bike with real HP figures for a not bad price. If any of you every look at the cost of a 250 four stroke to compare the purchase price plus rebuilds and valve checks and other random maintenance relay adds up!

I think they have all 3
A great bike
A good price
and the right amount of HP!

Dear KTM (and Honda Suzuki Kawi Yamaha etc.) please take notes... :)

Much better name too, way to go guys. Another player ready to displace the incumbents. Why deal with a two-stroke when you can have this. Filling in the MX Segment that Zero has left open. I hope they can get them to market soon though!

They just need to carve 30 pounds off the weight.....& 5k$ off the price.

in theory, the e-bike should be a more cost effective bike to build....far less total parts & the parts that are there are already mature technology.
I still think the marketing departments are tying to capitalize on the perceived "green revolution" & maximizing profits by marketing to the upper end niche market.

If some one really tried & didn't care about getting "rich quick".....it could done far more mass consumer friendly money wise.

Thud said:
They just need to carve 30 pounds off the weight.....& 5k$ off the price.

in theory, the e-bike should be a more cost effective bike to build....far less total parts & the parts that are there are already mature technology.
I still think the marketing departments are tying to capitalize on the perceived "green revolution" & maximizing profits by marketing to the upper end niche market.

If some one really tried & didn't care about getting "rich quick".....it could done far more mass consumer friendly money wise.
When you look at the total cost its comparable to a normal 2 or 4 stroke mx bike

As well Luke can point this one 1000 times and some might still not believe him but the battery is still quit costly and its not just the cells the cells them self's are not to expensive but then to be able to sell it to public it needs to meet a lot of requirements which involve adding a lot of costly safety features to the battery it self incl a BMS and water proofing contactor etc. Most of these electric bike companies are not selling enough bikes yet but once the numbers increase in sales then the cost per bike will come down. Like computers in the 90s this will get cheaper but it will take more people buying them to make that happen.

Finally a real motorcycle with a liquid cooled motor and controller so you can actually race it in the desert without overtemp mode kicking in

I love the bike but it needs a J1772 port. I don't understand why Zero or Alta don't offer J1772 like Brammo. All they have to do is design their own controller with an integrated charger like Mission has done to keep the weight down (or just use the Mission controller). The big thermal mass of the liquid cooled controller is useless when the bike is being charged. Just slapping on a charger to the same aluminum slug will save a ton of weight. This way the slug is being used at all times (but never at the same time). We don't need DC fast chargers for motorbikes. J1772 allows up to 16.8kw which is plenty fast. That would charge the current bike 5.2kw pack in 20-30 min. J1772 NOW PLEASE AND I WILL BUY!

Please show off the guts of the new 18650 pack. Thanks guys

flathill said:
Finally a real motorcycle with a liquid cooled motor and controller so you can actually race it in the desert without overtemp mode kicking in

I love the bike but it needs a J1772 port. I don't understand why Zero or Alta don't offer J1772 like Brammo. All they have to do is design their own controller with an integrated charger like Mission has done to keep the weight down (or just use the Mission controller). The big thermal mass of the liquid cooled controller is useless when the bike is being charged. Just slapping on a charger to the same aluminum slug will save a ton of weight. This way the slug is being used at all times (but never at the same time). We don't need DC fast chargers for motorbikes. J1772 allows up to 16.8kw which is plenty fast. That would charge the current bike 5.2kw pack in 20-30 min. J1772 NOW PLEASE AND I WILL BUY!

Please show off the guts of the new 18650 pack. Thanks guys
They do offer J1772..... Both Zero and Alta.... Its an option.

I am talking about a fast ON BOARD charger not a silly adapter or external bricks strapped on

From zero:
"Please note, the SAE J1772 Charging Adapter will not speed up your motorcycle charge time, which is limited by the motorcycle's integrated charger. Also, some public J1772 charging stations require the vehicle to authenticate itself. The SAE J1772 Charging Adapter does not support charging stations that require such authentication."

From alta:
The charger is integrated and charging takes 4 hours from a standard 110V - you can charge from other sources with a pigtail, but 110V is the most ubiquitous charging network in the country. There are a lot fewer J1772 stations than gas stations; there are a whole lot more 110V outlets than gas stations.

50 miles of range and a 4 hour charger time sucks
oK for the track where they can swap
50 miles range and a 20-30 min charge I can deal with

My only other complaint is the 1 year warranty. Shows little confidence

I have a 1 hour fast charger I use about once every 2 months. I ride 45 miles a day and use my 8hour charger all the time in fact its plugged in now.
Don't see your problem if you want to ride more then 50 miles in a day buy a second battery or a different bike. I can do over 100km up to 150 If I really milk it in the city with my variable regen and I have never had the time or energy to put on more then 100km in a day that's a lot of riding.
Remember you never pull in dead. So with the Alta it should not ever take 4 hours!
Soon we will have bigger batteries and you will be wining they can't dump 30+ Kwh into your bike in 5 minutes... :)

Remember all this equipment takes up space and adds weight. Have a look at the size and weight of what you need to put 10kw into you bike with onboard charging.

If its that big of a deal just use DC/DC and then you will not need the charger on the bike!

Back