• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Budget Fat Bike Build - Need Advice Please

Don’t forget shipping charges in all of these “deals” and especially battery packs/cells. I lost track of the numerous times I found seemingly amazing deals torpedoed upon accurate shipping calculations.

Many double digit advertised C-rates are utter bullshit IMO. I haven’t used that particular battery or company so impossible to say about these guys but in all the years I’ve been using these components - I’ve yet to experience repeatable C-rating out in the wilderness.

I’ve owned and still use some factory battery packs that are “close” to their claimed C-rate but at the expense of significant voltage sag. And good luck using marginal packs in cold weather when capacity and C-rate all take a 30% dump or so. Give it a year age/use and I can assure you it will not be like new. No battery ever is….

Biggest problem about all of the budget choice fat frames I’ve seen is lack of brake solutions. Maybe you can find a solid way to attach disc calipers and use appropriate hubs but at what expense to do so legitimately? But eBikes are very DEMANDING on brakes. Sub-standard stuff is not gonna cut it for any serious riding.

15c is as real as 20c is for the cheap RC packs like zippies. I find my zippies sag like grannies tits at 8c. But they work great at 3c or so.

Those blue cells should handle a 40 amps controller, since they are pretty big. 40 amps would be a 3c rate or thereabouts for a 15 ah cell.

I find the idea of a fat bike, and the bafang 350w bb drive intriguing. It won't have huge power, but with an IGH it could be a decent setup for slow riding on weird terrain.

I'm completely confused what exactly you are trying to do by now. Seems like it's a somewhat moving target now. I sure have had that myself at times. It's how you get 6 ebikes in your garage. I'd say one thing remains though, on those tires, relatively slow is going to be the thing to do. Be cool though, to gear a bb drive low enough to ride wheelies for miles.

I can't remember the dang name now dammit, but anybody else remember those stokemonkey type drive bikes that ran a tiny but really fat tire? Like mini bike tires on an ebike? Those things kicked ass.

Another thing I wasn't thinking about, what's the dropout width of the bike? See this thread

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58570

I guess it was a moving target, but the overall goals were simple, keep some form of pedal gears available and try to hit 30mph.

Now my goals are closer to 25mph on flat land and either a hub motor with a gear cluster, or a mid drive and an IGH.

Looks like you can use a stoke monkey with a fat bike,

Left and Right side drives, just add a chain ring.

http://bikes-as-transportation.com/behold-the-beast-low-cost-electric-fat-bike-conquers-snow/#more-3394

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aarou7PCozc[/youtube]

I think I'm selling the Fat Sand Bike, going to try to get $500 for it which is $400 off the retail price.

With an $40 upgrade to 2 wheel/freewheel setup so you can pedal, throttle, both, or coast.
1.They said they can make me me a custom BB.
2.I told them I need a longer BB Spindle to accommodate the 2 wheel/freewheel setup. Currently the Fat Bike Square Spindle only protrudes by approx 20mm from the 120mm shell (of course I measured from the cup like an idiot):
3.I'm asking them if this is something they can do or provide for me so I can have a 120mm shell with a 40mm square spindle protrusion for the 2 wheel/freewheel setup.
4.Does anyone have any experience with Cyclone Taiwan. They claim to guarantee their motors and batteris for 1 year but they aren't USA so I tend to be distrusting of any such claims.

1-3 If i have read enough you want a new BB at 120mm? The 1680watt motor has width dimension 140mm. It cannot fit in the 120mm except you are saying only about your BB width is 120mm.
They are the only one that can fix you the Bottom Bracket.
4.Not even one of the Cyclone motors and controllers have any damage at all and i had sold enough. I hope you are covered for the warranty for the motors

dogman said:
I can't remember the dang name now dammit, but anybody else remember those stokemonkey type drive bikes that ran a tiny but really fat tire? Like mini bike tires on an ebike? Those things kicked ass.

Hanebrink.

ls7corvete said:
dogman said:

Hanebrink.

OMG so far from budget but also OMG those hanebrinks are true ATB

I've decided on a mid-drive Cyclone or AFT so I can gear appropriately for whatever terrain I come across.

Eco-Speed which makes very expensive but quality mid-drive kits for a fat bike, can get custom spindles made according to a reply email I got from Brad.

"Our square tapers for the fatbikes are 172mm wide. It's offset 5mm to the drive side, so theres 41mm from the frame to the end of the spindle on the drive side, and 31on the non-drive side. We can get them made to other dimensions as well."

It should be noted these BB Square Taper spindles are made to fit 100mm BB Shells. This spindle would allow for a mid-drive kit and a 2 wheel/freewheel. I've resigned myself that I could stay under budget if this wasn't a fat bike and I could get a decent doner bike for 200 or less off craigslist.

What rear hub does Pedago use on it's fat bike and axle width ? My friend is triing to fit a mac rear and cut the axle shoders down to 120mm and now is triing to get a single speed rear gear or 6 speed. He dosn't talk much so I was off for a 20 mile before dark. I will if he got any where.

Back