In your opinion what would be the ultimate DIY ebike build for 2024?

As some of you know I am huge fan of buying pre-built ebikes on sale. (Pick up one on sale during winter then sell around 16 months later for a very good price. Wash. Rinse. Repeat every year to maximize your ebike experience per dollar spent)

However, sometimes I like to tinker with that idea of building something with DIY parts to see how these processes compare.

So for 2024 I suppose my ultimate DIY build would include the upcoming Grin fat bike hub with 150 x 15mm spacing for use on the front:

This combined with the Bikee Bike lightest mid drive which promises 175mm Q factor when used with 68mm BB. (I am assuming this is the configuration that has both pedal spindles equal length from the frame center line)

So now you are saying....."Woah wait a minute? You want to combine 150mm x 15mm front hub with a 68mm BB shell?" Yes and I can achieve this by using a Jones Frame and Jones fork set (or complete Jones bike) which is optimized and time tested combination using 150mm x 15mm fork, 68mm BB shell mountain frame and 148mm x 12mm thru axle rear hub:

As far as rims go I would go with the Ryde Andra 29er which we have (at large) previously agreed on as the ultimate ebike rim:

As far as batteries go something from Grin would be my first choice.

Last edited:
Hmmm i would wonder about the strength of that ebike cassette/freewheel being able to take 1200w of peak power from the lightest.. people have snapped those on pedal power in many a hub.

The 45mm wide motor would be way more than enough power for any ebike unless you're in it to make speed records. You won't be overheating it on hills... i can run 55mph up a ~7% grade with a 35mm leaf... you'd have a bigger motor than that!

Hmmm i would wonder about the strength of that ebike cassette/freewheel being able to take 1200w of peak power from the lightest.. people have snapped those on pedal power in many a hub.
That is a good question.

When you say snapped rear hub are you talking about the axle?

The regular Jones bikes list aluminum cassette body and aluminum 148mm x 12mm thru axle in their specifications, but the HD/e versions of the Jones bike lists chromoly steel cassette body and chromoly steel 148mm x 12mm thru axle:

Jones Spec. HD/e 36 hole, 148 mm x 12 mm Boost hub. Sealed Cartridge Bearings. Black. Like the front hub, this is a simple, durable hub. The axle and Shimano HG driver body are both made from chromoly steel for maximum stiffness and durability. The 4 freehub pawls and the ratchet teeth are larger than what’s found in most hubs adding to the overall strength. Canted flanges angle the spokes in toward the spoke holes in the rim, and the wide flange spacing makes for an extremely strong and stiff wheel. Cutaways in the flanges keep weight to a minimum. 4 sealed cartridge bearings. 6-bolt disk brake pattern.

Last edited:
Back