build blog->fully aluminium trail/freeride BHT Frame

8) .... and THIS is a beast!!!! ---- 8)

Just wanted to test chainline, swingarm, fork angle and mounted everything together (without saddle) ... after pulling the trottle a little bit the fornt wheel went up and I nearly fall of the bike!

couldn't resist to ride a little longer.... BHT has so much tourque!; low center of gravity and short wheelstand makes the bike really awesome to ride!!!
:D :D

Look forward to a full video of the bike from all angles plus you riding it. That bike looks aggressive and mean. And I mean that in the best possible way.

Looks sweet. I must have missed something - where did the vid go and I thought you were going for a hub motor? Anyway looks perfect. Are you going to be selling frames also? I still have a BHT motor that I'm needing to use and don't have the skills for a self build like that.

i'm no expert in this, but it seems like the fork angle is a bit to flat. more steep will have better handling offroad i believe..

looking forward to see the finished bike and how you like the BHT motor. It's an AWESOME mid-drive concept!

Look fantastic ! :shock:

You really should consider selling a frame kit, like the unwelded frame pieces. I really need to put my BHT into such a frame.

Here's a short Video; first ride was fantastic!

[youtube]P6zNAI-DOT8[/youtube]

To all BHT- big block users;
Didn't thought of that much tourque! ... I can go up to around ~30- 35 km/h but it feels like I culd gear it lower/ faster and tourque would still be enought.
Now I have to lean forward when accelerating; otherwise I would fall of the bike!!!
What are your gear ratios?

..Jk

Props. This build is amazing.

As others have said, post more pictures.

Btw how much power can that BHT motor deliver? It seems it is sold as a 1kw @48v.
But if run at 20s what peak power can be expected? And what power have others managed to extract from the BHT?

We can't wait to see yours Drum!
Jackjetful, wait till you try that torque on pavement!! ( I ran mine @ 4500w 2 weeks ago geared 1:5.4 for about 30mph--things break) Planning on trying 1:4.5 for ~38mph. I think you're right, the torque will still be there.
What controls are you using? mine feels a 'little' dangerous running straight infineon.

Macribs, 6800w- "BRUSHLESS MID AXIAL MOTOR 48V - 96V 1000W - 6800W" http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRUSHLESS-MID-AXIAL-MOTOR-48V-96V-1000W-6800W-VAE-E-BIKE-QUAD-CAR-e-SCOOTER-/201301830521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ede862b79
I'd be real interested to see it's full potential. The real trick I'm finding is making custom everything to put the motor on your bike though- I don't think it's much diff than mxus if you gear it up to similar speed vs power- so the benefit is for balanced weight and torquey offroad sub 35mph?

I really am surprised the other builds didn't comment on the extreme pickup speed- this too was my finding jackjetful.

the motor is known to have high peak performance in the range of 7kW or more. thats awesome for sure, but what about continuous power at normal conditions (no holes drilled or other special cooling methods).

Awesome work!

How are you managing to produce this on your own when the largest ebike companies have no equivalent. Outstanding man!

Are you going to setup a company and get this into production? Surely you'd have people queuing up.

Really impresssive!

Props. This build is amazing.

As others have said, post more pictures.

Whish I had more time at the moment; will show you more details when it's 100% finished! .... I have an ajustable seat tube for normal bicycle seats which can also be unscrewed if you want to.
But at my first test rides I found it uncomfortable beacuses the seat gives you stability when riding.

i'm no expert in this, but it seems like the fork angle is a bit to flat
You are right at the moment just a little bit! ... But I designed everything to be adjustable such as the rear suspension; Just dont have a longer rear shock at the moment.

Look fantastic ! :shock:

You really should consider selling a frame kit, like the unwelded frame pieces. I really need to put my BHT into such a frame.

all except the swingarm is constructed like a "ikea" system so the frame plates ar put together and hold in place by notches in every plate. I welded the frame without any frame jig ... and everything was lined up!This is the advantage of this system.
For the swingarm I made a steel jig. It is made of 3mm aluminium tubings.
So all in all it wouldn't be a lot of work to build such a frame.
Maybe I decide also selling the frame in a unwelded version but with a complete swingarm.

.. greetings
jakob

Yeah, a kit with unwelded parts would be awesome, so everyone could weld there own ebike kit from you.
Really good idea!

Or just sell the cad files. Everyone can go down to the local machine shop and have it cut out and welded up. I wonder if that is how we are going to be doing things with 3d printing someday. It would be sweet. Having a frame made locally would save that $100-200 shipping cost.

all except the swingarm is constructed like a "ikea" system so the frame plates ar put together and hold in place by notches in every plate. I welded the frame without any frame jig ... and everything was lined up!This is the advantage of this system.
For the swingarm I made a steel jig. It is made of 3mm aluminium tubings.
So all in all it wouldn't be a lot of work to build such a frame.
Maybe I decide also selling the frame in a unwelded version but with a complete swingarm.

Cool can you show some close up pictures?

Looking realy good. Must be nice having the CNC cutter, awesome! Its good to hear you can adjust your fork angle as it looks a little slack in its current configuration. Wow this bike is going to be great.

Love this bike. Quality build. Looks great. I think a motocross style seat would look better than a bicycle style!

Hey Jackjet, hope you had a productive weekend!

I went from 1:5.4 to 1:4.5 and it gives around 35mph top on 18s. The torque is still great, and it doesn't feel as dangerous. There is still enough to climb just about anything, and the frontend comes right up.
I was surprised the motor got a little warm, but I was beatin on it alot. Will have to trying more volts/less amps, as well as eventually the ca as an alternative throttle control.

The whiteind hd freewheel seems like it will hold up to the watts/gearing, as does the adapter to add a freehubbody and cassette.
PICT0012.jpg
PICT0023.jpg

Thanks a lot for all the compliments!
Yepp did a little bit on the bike; at the moment I try to improve my battery mount in the frame (maybe 3D printed headway cell holders and rubber spacings).

Hi, nutspecial;

I run mine at a reduction of 1:4.8 and it feels like it could be lower! tourque át 55A is a lot! i calculated 115Nm on the rear wheel??? :twisted:
did't have any problems with the freewheel. It is pretty solid and with a double bearing inside.

This is the sprocket adaper:

Attachments

• IMG_9414.jpg
    IMG_9414.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,603
  • IMG_9414.jpg
    IMG_9414.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 3,051
Back