build blog->fully aluminium trail/freeride BHT Frame

Yess Kelly KBS72121X. Its also small enough to fit in the front of the frame!

Test ride was at about 30A ... curious to run it more amps? don't know how exactly much Headway cells could deliver.
I think of 40A?
The Signalab BMS can handle 30A continious and 50-55A max.

Hopefully the next testride will be this weekend!

What an awesome project! One thing I'm not getting yet is are you going to put pedals on motor chain or it's going to be separate one?

iartem, it will have independant motor/pedal chain/gears. this is what skeetab and myself are doing also.

jackjet, looking awesome, thanks for the pictures! I hope you're up and running real soon! That fw looks awesome, I'd love a link to it or similar. The much narrower white hd is holding up nicely so far to 75a @my gearing, but It's always good to know about the alternatives!
Turn up the amps! Just don't repeatedly overheat the headways. (prob same as lipo, they're not happy when getting more than warm)

Ps, mine is up and running. Finalizing some bits and battery. Gonna need a few spare tires lol. I'm running a very sticky 2.1 kenda /20$.

Where do you guys get freewheels for such a beast, are these good enough? Sorry if that's a newbie question. I'm kind of new to this much power, still keep looking for a post with "that's a good freewheel for 100Nm+" and haven't found anything yet.

iartem, it will have independant motor/pedal chain/gears.
nope sadly not!;

I wish ich could do it like bzhwindtalker on his new LMX build!: I have a double bearing freewheel which is very wide; so i don't have the place to add another sprocket on the hub.
My setup is to drive the motorshaft and just use the #219 chain; should work well for just normal pedaling.
drive.PNG

The only issue with this is that i drive the motor shaft while pedaling; did't want to add another freewheel on the motorshaft; becaus I'm very happy with the rear freewheel.

White hd is a good one! also ENO .. used them in on of my other builds.

@ iartem
All those 10-20$ fw have a really poor quality! the bearings inside are really small; so they would break very soon!
I broke one at about 1500W Middrive setup.

I didn't realize you were freewheeling the pedals @ crank. There isn't that much drag to worry about if the motor spins too, and at least you are freewheeling the rear wheel- excellent for coast. Plus the fw looks bulletproof!
Plus two chains going back there is way tighter than one, especially with tensioners and deraileur.

I'll have to look at that lmx build again, that isn't the bht is it? And I didn't realize he was fw'ing pedal and motor back there. Maybe he is but it's single speed?

I've just noticed your swingarm axis is the same as BB axis. That's exactly what I'm going after! No tensioners and all that unnecessary complications. Except that my frame is one big complication, but that's out of the topic :D

I think as long as the motor moves with the swingarm, you're ok. Though I still used a sprung pulley to keep things tight and autoadjusted while allowing enough slack to remove the wheel without breaking the chain.

The pedal ratio on jackjet's bike can be adjusted for low, mid, or higher pedaling speed vs wheel speed. He would change the ratio at the crank.

What ratio did you use btw?

I didn't realize you were freewheeling the pedals @ crank

Yes; I use a freewheel crank and a reduction (1:8) so pedaling is possible.

I think Adam has a double fw on the LMX. Somethink like yours nutspecial.

I've just noticed your swingarm axis is the same as BB axis. That's exactly what I'm going after! No tensioners and all that unnecessary complications.

Exactly! still have to test the bike.. But i think my design should work as I thought...

Wow, I hope I get to build from scratch like this some day-

You're makin it look easy !!!

Ps- so 1:8 then 1:5- so geared for 7-20mph on pedals?
You'll still want tensioners on both chains right? (like a bit how the deraileur works?)
I don't think lmx (or anyone besides us) has the bht fw'ing, much less pedals too. Mine's holding up to a crazy setup of 75a max @ 82v, geared slightly higher than yours. I will likely be turning down phase amps and maybe motor amps because it is just too much power for this geometry- flipping the bike is too easy lol. Consider it if you ever want more pedal gears.

Love this build! I especially love the unwelded kit idea. Even that swing arm as a kit would be great!

Kepler said:
Fantastic work. Very impressive. I really like the fact that it isn't just another Stealth look alike. Looks like a bullet proof setup.
Ditto.
Such an easy option, Russians and chinese are copying everything on here for a quick buck - with many people saying there are no new designs to be had.
Jakob, you've proved them all wrong. You should be proud.

it looks awesome and i very like it that you managed to install working pedals. now you must go and joke some motorcycle or dirt bike drivers 8)

Back