California bill introduced to decriminalize psychedelics

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/17/california-bill-decriminalize-psychedelic-drugs

This bill, unveiled on Thursday, would decriminalize possession and personal use of psilocybin, psilocyn, MDMA, LSD, ketamine, DMT, mescaline and ibogaine – all drugs that can be used for medical treatment. While the decriminalization would apply for any kind of possession or use, not just medical, the bill makes a point to tout the medical benefits of psychedelics, a strategy familiar to drug policy reform advocates.

“That’s how it worked with cannabis,” said Anthony Johnson, a longtime advocate and chief petitioner for Oregon’s Measure 110, the initiative that decriminalized personal possession of small amounts of all illicit drugs. “It’s definitely a way to help people that need it first and foremost, but also then to educate the public about these substances of how the drug war has been a failed policy and how there is a better approach.”

The bill would also expunge criminal records for people convicted of possession or personal use of these substances. It would create a taskforce to recommend which regulatory body would oversee personal and therapeutic use of these substances for mental health treatment.

Wiener did not include peyote as one of the substances because of a shortage of the drug among indigenous practitioners, he said. Peyote is a sacred plant for many indigenous tribes, and at the behest of the native community, the bill will not decriminalize peyote, or mescaline when it is sourced from peyote.

Pretty monumental if it passes. :)

This post has nothing to do with Gavin.

True but if that's the point, let's talk about what actions he may or may not take, and keep to what's relevant to the topic.

I say the governor facing a recall IS the most relevant thing. Are they even trying to pass this, or is it some red herring? Since it's 60-20 Democrats in the assembly, I don't think they're taunting him, but it's a strange bill to introduce at a time like this. If they really expect it to be popular I suppose they might think it's going to help him, but since legalizing marijuana and other soft pedaling on drugs is held up as the cause of so many homeless coming from all over the country and causing huge problems, that would have to backfire on them. They could rush it to a vote if they wanted to, but the normal odyssey would mean it takes awhile. Something this controversial while he has an axe hanging over his head. . . ?

If Newsome survives the recall, then we can start considering if there's anything more to it. But I stick to what I said, this bill is ALL Newsome and his issues for the time being. That's how politics works.

No, this has nothing to do with Newsom. It was not proposed on him and may or may not be signed by him.
Don't derail my thread. You do plenty of that elsewhere.

Even stranger is current loopholes in the USA for ordering strong psychedelic drugs.

One can currently go on the internet and order:

1) Amanita muscaria extract, with the poisons neutralized via acids, which can either serve as a benzodiazepine replacement in the microdose, or provide a very dreamy and unique psychedelic experience at high doses.
2) A variety of lesser hallucinogenic and mood altering substances marketed as witch potions on etsy.
3) Salvia Divinorum, which is an extremely intense psychedelic that's said to be like DMT in effects and duration.
4) A variety of MDMA, DIPT, LSD, PCP analogues from Europe's gray market research chemical underground. Must pay with bitcoin.

State laws do vary but most USA states do not have restrictions on these lesser known psychedelics.

I was able to order some salvia divinorum and amanita extract with a credit card from 2 companies that had been in business for over a decade.

..the fact that i can do this indicates that the war on these drugs may be petering out at a federal level.

The feds are busy screening for prescription pills that are 5X less cost.

Screening the mail for imports that cost 5X less than in the US. The feds also give out million dollar fines on products for which pharma rakes in billions.

ALL drugs should just be fully legalized/untaxed already. If I want to sprinkle my marijuana blunts with some angel dust, that's no business of any government.

Also, psilocybin mushrooms are a lot of fun. Highly recommend.

Back