Can a swollen battery be fixed and how to do it safely?

tmho

1 kW
I have seen Youtube fixing swollen battery by making a hole to release the gas inside. But usually they also said do it at your own risk. Please comment if you know the answer.

The gas comes from some of the electrolyte converting from a liquid to a gas. At that point, there are areas in inside the cell that can no longer conduct electron flow from the anode to the cathode. That means all of the current has less area in which to travel back and forth in it, and the current will cause that cell to run warmer than other cells from the same batch and type.

A pouch cell running with hot spots inside it will puff again. I suppose you could use it to make a low-amp device, like a 12V brick that extends the run-time of your laptop or cell phone. I do not recommend pulling high amps from a puffed cell that has been repaired.

spinningmagnets said:
The gas comes from some of the electrolyte converting from a liquid to a gas. At that point, there are areas in inside the cell that can no longer conduct electron flow from the anode to the cathode. That means all of the current has less area in which to travel back and forth in it, and the current will cause that cell to run warmer than other cells from the same batch and type.

A pouch cell running with hot spots inside it will puff again. I suppose you could use it to make a low-amp device, like a 12V brick that extends the run-time of your laptop or cell phone. I do not recommend pulling high amps from a puffed cell that has been repaired.
How about that battery is just a single cell used inside an apple watch?
Currently, the watch is still working properly like before. Just the top is loose because of the swollen battery.

Ask yourself what caused it to puff ?......it could well be a defect in the watch/ charge circuit.
If its still under warranty ..return it to Apple
If its not under warranty,..return it to apple anyway and have them figure out what is wrong..often they will offer a low cost exchange.
If you are desperate, pin prick the cell, compress it, and seal the pin prick with a dab of epoxy.
Keep a careful eye on it but be prepared for a early failure.
....At your own risk. !

Personally, I'd just replace the cell. If it's out of warranty, and you already have it open anyway, there are often kits out there for doing exactly this, of varying quality. Otherwise I'd ask Apple about an exchange or repair.

I have a bluetooth speaker that has a swollen and leaking battery; I took the battery out until I can someday replace it because it has the potential to fail catastrophically at some point, and I personally dislike fires, no matter how low a risk there is of one. ;)

Ages back, I also had a set of wristwatch radios for short range communication that had swollen batteries, and I left those in there until they actually stopped charging, and nothing ever happened. (because I didn't yet know about lithium battery fires) But just because they didn't fail badly, doesn't mean they couldn't have. :(

Back