Cannot get Phaserunner working at all.

drutledge

10 W
I have just hooked up a new Phaserunner MT to my bike but can’t seem to get it to work.

Q1) Should there be any indication (LED) that it’s on? There is none. (I’ve checked the usuals, Power cable in is at 48V, polarity is correct, connection is snug. CA,Hall, Phase wires and Throttle (direct to Phaserunner) also attached but I assume those aren’t necessary to power it on and connect to a computer for programming.) FWIW, hitting the throttle does nothing. Not sure if it should before programming…

It is also hooked up to my CA-DP V2.13 (I cut off the new style plug on Phaserunner and crimped a JST connector on) which powers on and shows battery voltage, etc., seemingly indicating that the PR is getting power. Switch battery off or unplug controller - CA goes off, etc. NO LED indication on PR though.

Q2) I have downloaded the drivers to both a Mac powerbook and a Windows 10 tablet, both of which ‘see’ the TTL cable when it’s plugged into the computer. Neither one seems to see the controller though. The appropriate COM ports appear and disappear in the app when the USB side of the cable is attached / detached but the Phaserunner Suite app does not show a connection.

Any help would be great. I’m at a loss.

I've emailed Grin but they're on a short hiatus right now so hoping someone here has an easy answer.

I found another post here where someone complained of a PR not working and the LED going very dim. People thought that it indicated a short but there was no resolution to the thread. I guess that means that the PR LED should be on when it's powered, correct? I have nothing, not even a dim LED even though the PR seems to be powering the CA.

Not much help but a few years ago, my newer PR died on a ride. The Red LED was always on when the PR was on - either running/in-use and in programming mode. The Red LED stopped working at the same time the PR died.

OMG. Yes, this was the answer. I read about these wires but misread it. They are NOT shorted and unless you have a CA v.3 the PR will NOT turn on.

When in doubt reread the damn manual (and the addendum. )

Thanks so much!

BVH said:
Not much help but a few years ago, my newer PR died on a ride. The Red LED was always on when the PR was on - either running/in-use and in programming mode. The Red LED stopped working at the same time the PR died.

Did you ever fix it mine has done the same thing?

Bazgood86 said:
BVH said:

Did you ever fix it mine has done the same thing?
The most likely problem in this case is a failure of either a power input connection (wire, connector, solder joint, etc) or the low voltage power supply (LVPS) inside the PR. Since they're potted, it's not that easy to open them up for repair. If you're not up to depotting it to trace out power input to LVPS, etc., you could ask Grin Tech about sending it in for repair.

Back