Can't seem to get this motor going?

Bought a cheap 36v brushless geared motor...the supplier also sold me a cheapo brushless controller..He didn't know if the hall & phase wire colour codes matched up..I didn't think it would be a big issue..I tried the obvious and matched the colours..attached the throttle & power wires which make a reassuring spark,.. but when I try the throttle nothing!
I have tried different combinations with the hall wires (All except the red and black wires)but nothing ..not a kick.
the volt meter is reading about the right voltage at the throttle.
Where am I going wrong???cheapo 36v brushless geared motor.JPG

Attachments

• cheapo 36v brushless controller.JPG
    cheapo 36v brushless controller.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 855
Try this
http://www.endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Determining_the_Wiring_for_a_Brushless_Motor

Also, some controllers require a pedal sensor (PAS) input (pulses, usually, one to a handful per rotation of cranks) to be happening before any motor output happens, even if you have a throttle.

Some also have a "keyswitch" wire that has to be hooked to battery + to turn on.

I have connected the keyswitch wire to the positive...as for the pedelec sensor, there is no connector for it...only a throttle...

Then other than broken stuff or bad connections, or wrong phase/hall combo (see link above to fix), the only things that pop out are:

--battery is below LVC on controller (31.5V if the picture is right)

--ebrakes are of opposite type than usual and require to be connected in order to allow motor to run, rather than usual where connection is broken to allow motor to run. (presuming black/white wires are ebrakes)

I had the same thought about the ebrakes... but unfortunately its not that...as for the power well above 31volts ...more like 41v
I'm beginning to think something is broken.

You havent' said waht the results of the hall/phase combo tests were. :?:
(you did mention you tried all the hall combos, but perhaps a phase needs to be changed too, for some reason?

on your throttle, do you have the wires correct? red to red, black to black, and green or white to the third wire color. if correct, wiggle the throttle wires, maybe bad connection. this is in addition to the above suggestions.

Spoke to the importer this morning..(turns out you were right first time amberwolf)...This controller needs a pedal sensor (PAS)...
As the controller only has three little wires for the throttle,I had assumed that there was nowhere to plug in a PAS...The importer informed me that the PAS has to be in series with the throttle...Now I understand!...

Is there any way I can get around this, to fool the controller?..Just run throttle alone?

PAS in series with throttle? That makes no sense. The PAS provides pulses in most cases, and those would interfere with throttle operation in a normally-designed controller.

In other PAS designs it provides a throttle-like voltage, which the controller averages over a certain amount of time to give constnat speed or torque.

In other PAS designs, it provides a tiny voltage from strain gauge or similar, and the controller interprets that similarly to the above.

I can't think of an easy way for any of the PAS sensors I have seen or read of to be wireable in series wtih a throttle, and make the system respond.

So you might wanna ask him exactly what he means by "series" and give you a wiring diagram, as well as a diagram of exactly what the throttle is and does, and it's voltage needs and output, and what the PAS is and does, and it's voltage needs and output. With that info, we *might* be able to help you work around that.

Are you sure the "throttle connector" on the controller is not actually a PAS connector? European? It's easy to mix up the three wire PAS with a three wire throttle, on the KU63, and the "throttle" on yours might just be a PAS, not a throttle at all?

I think you are right...the wires are probably for the PAS...When I spoke to the importer the other day he did say it was Euro compliant...
As I've said, he told me it could be used with the throttle if the PAS was set up in series...but as Amberwolf say's it doesn't make sense..I have not been able to speak with the importer since.. so I can't get any more info...
Presumably the controller has been modified for Euro spec....So can it be modified back???
Here is a close up of the board..
Any Ideas?

Attachments

• close up of cheapo euro spec controller.JPG
    close up of cheapo euro spec controller.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 675
Back