Capicator in line with hall sensor throttle?

I was wondering how I could change my bike to be easier on take offs. Since the controller (lyen) works by trying to limit speed and not torque, I have applied abit more torque than I wanted at take offs. Obviously this is not good for the bike since going from stationary to moving is most likely the highest current drain (torque producing) moment in riding.

So I was thinking maybe I could delay the voltage going to the controller with a capacitor, instead of just relying on my hand to limit it at take offs? Would it work?

If it does, the bigger the capicator, the more the delay of torque and thus a nicer take off without hurting torque too much when getting up to speed. Is that right?

If anyone has a better idea to prevent sudden unintended bursts of torque (maybe programming?) please tell me.

I was just thinking, the capicator could prevent the controller from stopping when the throttle is let go. Is there a way to delay the voltage from rising, but allow the capicator to drain quickly?

Its not that big of deal, since i can still use my break to stop the controller, but I can see this being annoying.

You might wanna search on "ramp" or "ramping" and throttle, as there are variations of this already discussed in various places, and some designs posted (dunno which have been verified).

If you have a CA v3 you can set up the ramp in the CA.

appleseed123 said:
If anyone has a better idea to prevent sudden unintended bursts of torque (maybe programming?) please tell me.
If you are already familiar with the Parameter Designer or XPD start by decreasing the Block Time value.
appleseed123 said:
Is there a way to delay the voltage from rising, but allow the capicator to drain quickly?
Yes - charge through a resistor and discharge through a diode.

This may sound dumb, but have you tried pedaling the first 5 feet, then using the throttle less than full wot?

Just getting moving 3mph before you grab does a lot to tame that amp spike. Talking at most 1 revolution of the pedals.

I dont understand how using a resistor and a diode would help. Could you explain full throttle?

I was thinking maybe a NPN transistor would work with a resistor. When the voltage drops it would allow the capicator to drain to resistor and controller instead of just controller. Would this work? Anyone know of transistor with trigger voltage of around 1 volt?

Generally transistors "trigger" on current (they are essentially current-multipliers). Just use a voltage divider on the input to the base to get the voltage you want at the base itself.

Resistor vs diode: resistor will limit charge current at a potentially slow curve, while diode will drain current down to a fixed voltage (forward drop of diode) "instantly", as soon as you stop providing charge current thru the resistor.

So, AFAIU, would be resistor in series from throttle signal output to + of cap, cap - to ground common to throttle and controller, + of cap to controller throttle input. Diode anode at + of cap, diode cathode to cap -.

amberwolf said:
Resistor vs diode: resistor will limit charge current at a potentially slow curve, while diode will drain current down to a fixed voltage (forward drop of diode) "instantly", as soon as you stop providing charge current thru the resistor.

So, AFAIU, would be resistor in series from throttle signal output to + of cap, cap - to ground common to throttle and controller, + of cap to controller throttle input. Diode anode at + of cap, diode cathode to cap -.
Nearly :) diode cathode to throttle signal output
rcd.jpg
appleseed123 said:
I dont understand how using a resistor and a diode would help
The cap is charged through the resistor (RC delay) and discharged through the diode (no delay)
The only problem is you may not get full voltage on the output and there will be an even longer dead spot at the start.

I'd give programming a shot if I were you.

anderson80 said:
Can you explain the resistor and capacitor usage in above application?
http://www.google.com/search?q=The+cap+is+charged+through+the+resistor+%28RC+delay
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC_time_constant
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/rc/rc_1.html
etc

Back