Carbon Fiber e bike with Bafang M 600 mid installed with throttle

IMG_0341.jpgIMG_0342.jpg
ScooterMan101 said:
Jeff,

While the Sram Eagle XX1, X01, GX groupsets are expensive ...

The new Eagle NX Groupset is much cheaper, in fact quite affordable when you consider what it is and the fact that in the groupset you get the ...

Crankest , Rear Derailleur , Shifter, Chain, and that 11-50 cassette
all for , get this just under $ 400 U.S. ! add the BB for under $ 45 U.S.
and
You have a Quality Groupset at a Good Price .

Note : The Eagle NX is a brand new groupset so when looking up Eagle on the Net you are seeing the higher priced sets like the XX1, X01, GX .
Last I saw on the net for the new NX was about $ 380 , before BB which is another $ 45 or so.
OK Ill ask for the Eagle NX and nice thing no BB required. I know I mentioned my scooter build in regards to battery's slightly off topic but still battery discussion please see my SLA change out with Lithium LG cell pack I waited years to change finally done. Costs for the pack was $ 540

We definitely need more e-bike specific frames available , especially light weight ones.
Problems with the current frames are that they are
1) Chainstays / rear swingarm, made for only 26 inch wheels
2) Main frame designed around 18650 cells, when we will be using 21700 in the near future.
3) Dropout only , not able to use a 142/143 x 12 mm throu axle wheel.

I am waiting for bike design that will accept 143 or 148 boost 12 mm through axles, and 10mm x 135 for hub motors ( by using a inside plate on both sides that will bolt on to the 12 mm x 148/143 mm frame that has a 10 mm slot )

Note : Look at the 2011 Intense Tracer 2 's rear swingarm on how to do this.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Intense-Tracer-2-Test-2011.html

What spec's are you shooting for with the company / with the frame you are having designed/built ?

AWD said:
Well I am working with another company as I said that is willing to make frames to our specs, most importantly in regards to CS length, head and seat tube angles which are a bit off on their design plus a few other details. I'm sure you will have a fine time with your bikes and that is what counts but I just see them being better and am happy with what I have in the meantime enough to wait it out a bit to get things in line.

"What spec's are you shooting for with the company / with the frame you are having designed/built ?"

Slacker angles for both head and seat tube compared to the one being discussed for one thing. Semi integrated 52v 2170 350/700/1000wh battery options similar to what is currently available for the fully integrated bike as shown with the M600 integrated motor. Boost front and rear frame set for either 29" wheels up to 2.6 or b+ to 3.0. Have a friend in the suspension industry that is helping to dial things in as I am not totally up with that aspect. Basically as up to date as any of the other players in the conventional 160mm bike market as possible. Left to their own devices the factories tend to be happy to be a few years behind the times rather than looking ahead.

Not looking to make a cheap bike though. Current thought is to just bring the frame, rims, bar and stem, batterie(s) and motor in and do the builds off a custom sheet here in the states. Will be well on par with the big players EU based bikes at less cost as long as the desired parts spec is not outrageous. Going to be awhile before the trigger is pulled on it and still haven't yet gotten word on the actual performance of the M600, as good as it looks on paper, as that is the only motor of interest at this time, especially because of the throttle.

As far as this thread goes the Chibon frames, rims and other components that have been available now for years seems to be drifting nicely into the eBike market allowing for a more reasonable price option already that will only get better as time goes on. I think eBikes are going to be around for awhile personally.

Boost spacing is a given that’s why I’ve already asked for their carbon fiber rimed wheels with DT straight pull hubs with 50 mm width rims with 27.5”. /650. 2.8 “ width tires with treaded axles boost spacing ( only one other e bike has carbon rims and it costs $17000) , rock shock Monarcks 152 mm travel, Front for Rock Shock 150-160 mm travel either the Yari or Lyric, decent dropper seats post ( just bought Brand X ascend works perfect for only $150) , as I am being told to get the Sram NX Eagle Groupo ( not sure they have electric cut off brakes)carbon handle bars . And staying with already designed 18650 cells not waiting till 2025 for the hydrogen powered bicycle, buying what’s current and available .The intent is not cheap but lighter weight trying to spec and perform like the Pivot Shuttle( Xt speced with electric shifting) 46 lbs. but be faster with a Throttle . The scary part here is you can look at angles but never really know how the frame is going to handle for sure . It’s what type of suspension FSR which is old Technology that Specialized paid for the patent which has run out . Pivot has a newer suspension that susposed to work better under demand and utilize the travel better . Not get total stuck on rear stay spacing, will very on design and size of the frame. the key here is the 110-120 Newton’s of torque on the Bafang M600 . I test rod my friends brand new Specilazed Kenevo . We were able to down load a ap and totally reprogram the settings to allow top speed governor to be eliminated . It was the best of what is currently available it really is a down hill capable bike fast really fun expensive $ 7900 . Aluminum frame and no throttle only rated to 90 Newton’s . We swapped with my M2s 500watt hub motor bike and it was faster on flats but I suspect the torque was much better on the Kenevo on steep hills. I think this carbon bike by Dengfu might be the ticket . But their is some risk . Not realy know until you ride it. But if you can buy a Bike for one third of the cost of a Pivot Shuttle and perform much faster with a throttle and be close to the handling of a Pivot that would be the way to go. My current bike is a Specilized S works Enduro . So I am not adverse spending money on a quality bike. But getting one of the first bikes in Carbon with one of the more powerful mid drives with throttle is what is exciting .

AWD & Surfingjeff

Check out the new Edit: , TQ motor that was just unveiled at Eurobike 2018

There is a youtube video of an interview of the person at TS motor that programed it , said to be better programing than all the other mid-drive motors available. ( HaiBike has it on one of their high end bikes )
Programer said that other Mfg's tend to say their product has high torque but it is only peak torque for a very short amount of time.
Where as the TS motor has 120 Netwon Meters , most or all the time.

If I can find the Youtube video I will link it.

Regards to Sram Eagle NX groupset , the groupset does not come with brakes so no e-brake levers there.
Also when getting a bike built up with that Shimano Steps mid-drive or the other one, you are not going to need the crankset.
So you can order a bike with just the Cassette ( 11-50 tooth ) , the Derailleur , and the rear shifter.

About a year ago I saw a company making Rims/ and Wheels with quality Toray Carbon, at the time they were the only Chinese Company that was UCI approved . Rims were about $ 200 and Full wheelsets were in the mid $ 500 range . so cheap price but quality carbon and even asymmetrical rim choices . Prices might have gone up a little since then though.

Good to see people starting to develop full suspension e-bikes with the 140-160 mm travel range. and 650b/27.5 and 29er frames are very much needed at this time .
at Travel of 140-160 mm , those of us like me that have a very limited budget , we can pick up a used fork and rear shock for cheap. Even buy a new 2-3 year old new stock left over quality shock from one of those internet bike sale companies that buy up truck loads of , not in a retail box/overstocked , OEM Rockshox and Fox Shocks and Forks .

New brake from TRP

( They have a new electric bike version of the G Spec that I do not think is on their website yet , it was displayed at the 2018 Eurobike in Germany )

https://www.trpcycling.com/shop/category/mtb/dhenduro/

Tec Talk about the new TQ motor starts at 4' 47" into the video. ( the most innovative part , talking about their PAS system starts at 8' 38 " into the video )
Good points on the new high end Haibike before that .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0qkfShozH4

I’ve been following the release of the tq motor since it was announced. I rode a bike at interbike a few years ago that had one but it was very cruiser styled. Ok and I’m sure they have made improvements since but not on my wish list. For one thing it is heavy and all those vanes look like a dirtsaster. No throttle option and I bet it would be $$$ and hard to get in smallish quantities for a few years.

M600 is lighter, advertises the same 120nm torque, potential to run 52v easily and my list goes on for what I am looking for. As long as it works as advertised.....

The trp 4 pots are nice though. Those would make it to the sheet for sure. I use the hy/rds on one of my road ebikes.

52 volt would be a good option except for having to design to fit a front frame tube. But more power and range. I found another manufactureebmt4ek.jpg Honsen who had identical picture of the 09 frame and built up bike. I got a quote and $900 which is $ 100 over Dengfu with $ 90 shipping. Must be a reseller. They also would not build the bike or sell the motor.

View attachment 1

Also found a nice brake set up for Magura from Grin Tech Magura MT4e Brake Kit http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/ebrakes/ebmt4ek.html a bit pricy at $209

ScooterMan101 said:
AWD & Surfingjeff

There is a youtube video of an interview of the person at TS motor that programed it , said to be better programing than all the other mid-drive motors available. ( HaiBike has it on one of their high end bikes )
Programer said that other Mfg's tend to say their product has high torque but it is only peak torque for a very short amount of time.

Regards to Sram Eagle NX groupset , the groupset does not come with brakes so no e-brake levers there.
Also when getting a bike built up with that Shimano Steps mid-drive or the other one, you are not going to need the crankset.
So you can order a bike with just the Cassette ( 11-50 tooth ) , the Derailleur , and the rear shifter.

About a year ago I saw a company making Rims/ and Wheels with quality Toray Carbon, at the time they were the only Chinese Company that was UCI approved . Rims were about $ 200 and Full wheelsets were in the mid $ 500 range . so cheap price but quality carbon and even asymmetrical rim choices . Prices might have gone up a little since then though.

Good to see people starting to develop full suspension e-bikes with the 140-160 mm travel range. and 650b/27.5 and 29er frames are very much needed at this time .
at Travel of 140-160 mm , those of us like me that have a very limited budget , we can pick up a used fork and rear shock for cheap. Even buy a new 2-3 year old new stock left over quality shock from one of those internet bike sale companies that buy up truck loads of , not in a retail box/overstocked , OEM Rockshox and Fox Shocks and Forks .

Here is the pricing for the Dengfu wheels :

Attachments

• Dengfu wheels.jpg
    Dengfu wheels.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 2,602
ScooterMan101 said:
AWD & Surfingjeff

Yes 45 Miles a hour This bike is the one I mentioned on the Original Post for the design criteria for the Bafang Bike since it also has 120 Newton meters Check this video out.:

https://www.motostrano.com/M1-Spitzing-E-Bike-Electric-Bike-p/m1rs.htm
Look at the first Factory Video and the speed at which the bike goes straight up the Steep incline. But this bike has no throttle but it was designed two versions the European Legal one with high torque lower speed and the non restricted one 45 MPH. The " New" Haibike version is most certainly going to be the restricted one. What it might do is provide competition to bring this motored bikes down from $10-11 K something reasonable. But if this Bafang motor rated at the same newton meters can perform like this M1 Spitzing we may have something. I still haven't seen a review of this Bafang M 600 anywhere.

The more I think about it and see the video again the more I think we need the biggest battery available which may still be in development by Bafang But also Dengfu mentioned last e mail they have their own battery option for the down tube still waiting to get the details on that battery . I know this is Endless Sphere everyone knows how to build battery's here. But building a battery to fit a battery tray is different than a carbon fiber down tube on a mountain bike with the shock and movement you get. Even my M2S bike with factory battery attachment system I have completely bounced out the screws and had to tape the battery in place.

ScooterMan101 said:
AWD & Surfingjeff

Yes 45 Miles a hour This bike is the one I mentioned on the Original Post for the design criteria for the Bafang Bike since it also has 120 Newton meters Check this video out.:

Look at the first Factory Video and the speed at which the bike goes straight up the Steep incline. But this bike has no throttle but it was designed two versions the European Legal one with high torque lower speed and the non restricted one 45 MPH. The " New" Haibike version is most certainly going to be the restricted one. What it might do is provide competition to bring this motored bikes down from $10-11 K something reasonable. But if this Bafang motor rated at the same newton meters can perform like this M1 Spitzing we may have something. I still haven't seen a review of this Bafang M 600 anywhere.

The more I think about it and see the video again the more I think we need the biggest battery available which may still be in development by Bafang But also Dengfu mentioned last e mail they have their own battery option for the down tube still waiting to get the details on that battery . I know this is Endless Sphere everyone knows how to build battery's here. But building a battery to fit a battery tray is different than a carbon fiber down tube on a mountain bike with the shock and movement you get. Even my M2S bike with factory battery attachment system I have completely bounced out the screws and had to tape the battery in place.

ScooterMan101 said:
AWD & Surfingjeff

Bigwheel said:
I’ve been following the release of the tq motor since it was announced. I rode a bike at interbike a few years ago that had one but it was very cruiser styled. Ok and I’m sure they have made improvements since but not on my wish list. For one thing it is heavy and all those vanes look like a dirtsaster. No throttle option and I bet it would be $$$ and hard to get in smallish quantities for a few years.

M600 is lighter, advertises the same 120nm torque, potential to run 52v easily and my list goes on for what I am looking for. As long as it works as advertised.....

The trp 4 pots are nice though. Those would make it to the sheet for sure. I use the hy/rds on one of my road ebikes.

This is the same Identical motor on the German M-1 Spitzer about 4-5 years old now.

Bigwheel said:

This is the same Identical motor on the German M-1 Spitzer about 4-5 years old now.

ScooterMan101 said:
Tec Talk about the new TQ motor starts at 4' 47" into the video. ( the most innovative part , talking about their PAS system starts at 8' 38 " into the video )
Good points on the new high end Haibike before that .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0qkfShozH4

IM sorry about the duplication of previous post had a glitch today on this forum . Honsen did have couple frames with very very light weight total bike weights 19.4 KG less peddles the same as the Pivot Shuttle with same step motor and Bafang motor 80 newtons for both motors. Price for frame was reasonable $700 and it includes freight to USA ! this may be a frame they actually make ? See listing pictures from Alibaba :
They have two frames very similar. At least the Bafang motor has a throttle . Honsen only wants to supply only the frame but $ 700 delivered is pretty reasonable . But I want the 120 Newton power.

Attachments

• Honsen1.PNG
    Honsen1.PNG
    16.9 KB · Views: 2,568
  • honsen2.PNG
    honsen2.PNG
    20.4 KB · Views: 2,568
  • honsen4.PNG
    honsen4.PNG
    21.1 KB · Views: 2,568
I like the idea of the frame you just posted, It's probably a better idea to find a frame with the battery inside the triangle, not mounted inside the frame tube. This would open up a lot of different battery options for us DIYers. Following this thread with interest.

I will have pictures of the brand new build in couple days. Now working on issues with the Bafang M 600 controller limited to 35 KPH. Hopefully we have a app that worked on the Specialized Kenevo would be easiest . If not a Grin Technology Cycle Analyst with custom Bafang wiring harness from Germany to remove any governors But add $ 200 for that.

Surfingjeff,

This Frame is looking better and better now that you have found the Frame for $ 700 U.S.D. Delivered ?

Seeing something on alibaba is , often , sold by someone else not the manufacturer. If you can find the real people who make this, and get a few for more like the price of other Carbon F.S. Frames from China ( $ 500 unpainted to $ 600 painted )
I could be much more interested , the more affordable it is the more likely I will buy one , since this is really an unknown on how this frame will handle , it is gamble right now .

1) What is the Weight of the Frame ?

2 ) https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/bafang-new-M500-M600-mid-drive_60766488031.html ... Crank arms separate price ?
or
Have a better link for this motor ?

3) Is this frame made in Tiawan, but sold by Chinese Vendors on Alibaba ?

Would really like for someone to find the real maker of this frame and get a few at a time to the U.S. for a much better price.
( Clearcoat over raw carbon layup )

Befang M 500/600 motor specific frame .

Surfingjeff said:
Honsen did have couple frames with very very light weight total bike weights 19.4 KG less peddles the same as the Pivot Shuttle with same step motor and Bafang motor 80 newtons for both motors. Price for frame was reasonable $700 and it includes freight to USA ! this may be a frame they actually make ? See listing pictures from Alibaba :
They have two frames very similar. At least the Bafang motor has a throttle . Honsen only wants to supply only the frame but $ 700 delivered is pretty reasonable .

The other frame weight I have at 3000 grams . This frame I’m sure is similar but it does not have the stealth battery hidden in the frame and it’s not the same motor . I still do not have a good review of the motor that is not speed limited to only 20 miles a hour. The BAFANG M600 is listed at120 newtons.

3000 Grams is a very respectable / good weight for a Full Suspension MTB Frame.

Not sure what you are saying about the frame though , you post links/pictures of a Carbon frame above that is made for Shimano or Befang mid motors ,
Are there
Two different frames made for those mid drive motors ? one with space in the down tube for batteries and one with out the compartment ?

Surfingjeff said:
The other frame weight I have at 3000 grams . This frame I’m sure is similar but it does not have the stealth battery hidden in the frame and it’s not the same motor . I still do not have a good review of the motor that is not speed limited to only 20 miles a hour. The BAFANG M600 is listed at120 newtons.

Back