Cassette recommendation for hardtail MTB (off-road)

maxwolfie

10 mW
I have just fitted a DM02 mid mount, 1 x 10 setup. 42t on the front, 11-36 cassette.

Pedalling up hills with a flat battery will be hell, so I’m thinking of dropping down to 34t on the front (smallest that Toseven offer), and going for a cassette with a massive big sprocket.

Any suggestions for something that will do the trick? I have read that 8 speed setups are stronger than 10 speed setups (presumably they can be wider, per gear, hence a beefier chain?)

1. the chain is indeed wider on 8 speed cassetes, however you need to also look at the cassette build itself. There are cheap 8s 11-40T cassetes however those could be not very strong. I would suggest to search for something with common big spider for the biggest gears - 1st,2nd,3rd sometimes 4th all together on big stiff spider .
2. On the other hand quite still fresh shimano cues series is declaring shifting under load and reduced wear with LinkGlide tech without breaking chain that can be very benefitial on mid-drive. Shimano cues is having 9 to 11 speed and you need to have all component from that group as it is not compatible to anything else.

1. the chain is indeed wider on 8 speed cassetes, however you need to also look at the cassette build itself. There are cheap 8s 11-40T cassetes however those could be not very strong. I would suggest to search for something with common big spider for the biggest gears - 1st,2nd,3rd sometimes 4th all together on big stiff spider .
2. On the other hand quite still fresh shimano cues series is declaring shifting under load and reduced wear with LinkGlide tech without breaking chain that can be very benefitial on mid-drive. Shimano cues is having 9 to 11 speed and you need to have all component from that group as it is not compatible to anything else.
Thank you!

Do not fall for the scam that is Shimano CUES. The advantage of 8 speed or 9 speed is negated if you have to use 11 speed chain, or a component ecosystem that doesn't allow cross-combining different components.

Sunrace 11-40 8-speed cassettes are as good as anything, and so are Microshift 12-42 and 12-46 8-speed cassettes. Spider mounted large sprockets are not superior; they're just for preserving the integrity of inferior aluminum or titanium freehub bodies. If you don't have a dumb freehub made of the wrong material, you don't have to worry about it.

Are there users reporting it is not working as it should? . From the functionality ability to shift under load looks benefitial even if the chain is 11speed. I do have personally Rohloff hub on my MTB hovewer i am missing shifting under load and i am planning to try it myself on the next build.

I’ve been using a Shimano Linkglide 11-43 10 speed cassette with a CYC X1 stealth for over a year now , shifting under power is good enough that I’ve removed the shift sensor that I was using . I’m using a Linkglide cassette and chain with a Shimano Deore XT 10 speed shifter and a Shimano Deore XT 11 speed derailleur , they work together without a problem , you’re not locked in to having to use an exclusively Linkglide drive train . Linkglide’s shifting is slow and smooth compared to Hyperglide so shift shock is massively reduced , it just takes a couple of rides to get used to the slower shift . It’s not a big difference , the blink of an eye , worst case , just enough time for your brain to think ‘did I miss that sh..’ click , it’s changed .

Back