chain broke on brand new Shimano middrive...

Something I don't think I've ever experienced before in 40 years of riding bikes...

brand new Motobecane Adventure hybrid with Shimano esteps mid drive and 9 speed Shimano derailleur. I'm cruising easy in 5th gear or so on a level bike path, and suddenly the chain broke and deposited itself on the ground behind me. A link came completely undone, the side plate with the pin still in it was bent outwards.

bike had all of 11 miles on it.

wtf?!?

I'd say either manufacturing defect, don't shift so hard (in prior events leading up to the failure), or make sure the master link is fully seated and if it uses any clip, that the clip is installed correctly for the direction of travel.

chainline looks spot on.

I did have some delayed shifts, like if I double-shifted to a lower gear it would only shift one, then later clunk into the second. when I noticed this, I stopped and tweaked the derailleur cable adjustment to better center the gears.

here's the chain (the sand got picked up after it was dropped off the bike)... oh, its a KMC, if that means anything. Looks to be an E9, which I think is a mid drive ebike specific chain.

i-v68NMTR-X3.jpg

Is there a quick disconnect link somewhere else in the chain?
If there isn't, then that means someone might have not done it right redriving the pin back in.

Back