Charger Recommendations for 48V Lithium Battery (~20Ah)

tmort

10 W
I got my bike and charger out and charged it up. I went to charge the battery last night and couldn't find the charger. I also realized I no longer have a spare. I loaned it out and the person moved.

I think I put it someplace safe and out of harms way. I still have some capacity left, but I know I'll need a charger soon.

I haven't been keeping up with them lately. I have a big pack so would want something to charge quickly and then slow down. I also want one that is safe and reliable and will last. A good value.

So I'll be looking around, but maybe there might be some consensus on what at the moment the best value charger(s) is/are available at the current time.

thnx

Without knowing more details, for 48V Lithium Battery (~20Ah) you could probably charge at 5A safely.

The metal case commodity chargers seem to be more reliable than the plastic case ones, which most seem to die early from cooling fan failure.

Example:

I got my bike and charger out and charged it up.
Which charger did you use to do this?

I ask because the rest of the post says you do not *have* a charger, which implies you used someone else's charger to charge it up with. The wrong charger could damage the battery (which can cause a fire), so I'm a bit worried about your situation there.

I haven't been keeping up with them lately. I have a big pack so would want something to charge quickly and then slow down. I also want one that is safe and reliable and will last. A good value.

So I'll be looking around, but maybe there might be some consensus on what at the moment the best value charger(s) is/are available at the current time.
We need to know what your battery is before we can recommend a specific-battery charger.

To charge it you must know the charging current the battery can handle, and the full charge voltage it must reach.

If you just pick a charger and go, you could damage the battery or even start a fire, if it's too high a voltage or current, and the BMS (if it has one) does not or cannot stop charge.

Or it might not even try to charge the battery, if the voltage is too low.

You could use programmable chargers like the ebikes.ca Satiator, which can be adjusted.
but to use it you still need to know about your battery, so you can set it up properly for it (or use the correct preset).

Last edited:
Some Meanwells you can put in series, two mw's of 24v might suit your battery needs, they give you votlage ranges in the spec sheet.
Satiator is a great unit, 8a for 48v, as zippy9'er says, mind the voltages as the Brits say.

Back