Charging Battery Question

Brian H

1 µW
I have a heavy Ebike and want to charge it with an inverter that is DC to AC and which has AC output to plug the current battery charging cable into and a AC to DC converter to charge the inverter which plugs in the wall. The current battery has the following specs: 72V 48Ah so the inverter I believe should be above 3456W so I thought to get a DC 12V to 120 V AC 5000 W inverter and also an AC to DC converter to charge the inverter. Does anyone have experience with charging a battery in this way, away from a regular wall socket to plug into?

Thanks, Brian H

I have a heavy Ebike and want to charge it with an inverter that is DC to AC and which has AC output to plug the current battery charging cable into and a AC to DC converter to charge the inverter which plugs in the wall. The current battery has the following specs: 72V 48Ah so the inverter I believe should be above 3456W so I thought to get a DC 12V to 120 V AC 5000 W inverter and also an AC to DC converter to charge the inverter. Does anyone have experience with charging a battery in this way, away from a regular wall socket to plug into?

What you need may depend on a few things, so the more info we have, the more certain we can be that we point you the right direction:

What is the power source for the inverter that is going to create your AC source? (solar, another battery, a generator, etc?)

Does that power source supply enough power to operate the inverter under the worst-case load?

In what situation do you need to use this method? (is it when you are stopped at some destination, like charging while shopping, etc?)

Regarding power levels required: What is the maximum charging current your battery accepts? Or what is the charger you have now rated to provide? (what DC V and A are marked on it's label?)

Note: Multiplying the battery nominal voltage (72v) by it's capacity (48Ah) only gives you the capacity of the battery in Wh (3456Wh), and doesn't tell you how much power will be needed to charge it, only how much capacity it will absorb. If you are charging it from another battery, then that battery must have *at least* the same Wh, plus all the Wh that will be lost in all the conversions (can be quite a lot, even as much as half again that amount).

Back