• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Chevy Volt Test Drive.

REdiculous said:
The ICE motor will engage to drive the wheels at higher speeds

Wrong. :roll:

From chevrolet.com...

The Volt runs on electricity for an initial range of 35 miles on a single charge, before a gas generator seamlessly creates electricity for up to 340 additional miles on a full tank of gas.

emphasis mine. :wink:

http://www.plugincars.com/truth-about-volt-mechanical-linkages-starts-emerge-81480.html

See General Motors' patent application..

Those slimy bastards! :lol:

In at least one place on wikipedia they say the Volt is a series-hybrid (see here for example) but then I actually went to the wiki page on the Volt and they've got a bit more detail...

While in this series mode at higher speeds and loads, (typically above 30 miles per hour (48 km/h) and/or under hard acceleration) the gasoline engine can engage mechanically to the output from the transmission and assist both electric motors to drive the wheels, hence the Volt can also operate as a power-split or series-parallel hybrid when additional power is required.

Interesting. :?

I recall an interview with Daniel Akerson late last year and he commented on the Volt and EV1. Dan was happy to mention that GM did learn a lot from the EV1 program and it influenced the Volt. Really. Where?

The EV1 was a all electric car built on a aluminum frame with plastic panels, the lowest .cd of any production car made and two seater commuter configuration and the Volt is a steel bodied, four door over-sized 2011 Honda Civic with an unambitious hybrid setup. Where is the learning? The evolution of technology?

He also said that the main problem customers had of the EV1 was "range anxiety" or being worried about being caught without power to get home or a recharge depot. Ok so GM addressed this by making the Volt with only 40 miles battery range while the EV1 had a 60 miles range with its first gen SLA's and 160 mile range with the third generation battery pack using nicad. With the average US round trip commute being about 30-35 miles you would only need to charge the nicad pack maybe twice a week?

The Volt is nothing really new and it's way too expensive.

The EV1 is an amazing platform, large battery pack (for its day) an *9 induction motor, and an amazingly aerodynamic shell, the peoblem is, it looks sooo bad, its quite possibly one of the ugliest cars in the world.

Hillhater said:
Like most things in this life...its a compromise.

Agreed, a comprimise, just a dissapointing one.

I can't wait for the day when an automaker gets smart and combines an underframe 50 kw/hr A123 26650 pack with a two speed ac drive, and then markets it as the last car you will ever need to buy...

If my napkin math is close, a 50kWh battery is roughly equivalent to 5.5 gallons of gas in a car w/ an engine+transmission that's 25% efficient...at 30mpg figure you'd get 165 miles...

Might want to double the capacity, Farfle. :wink:

edit; might as well show my math...
There's roughly 36.6kWh of potential per US gallon of gas. [figure from wikipedia]
5.5 gallons * 36.6kWh = 201.3kWh potential.
0.25 * 201.3kWh = 50.3kWh after losses.

Farfle said:
I can't wait for the day when an automaker gets smart and combines an underframe 50 kw/hr A123 26650 pack with a two speed ac drive, and then markets it as the last car you will ever need to buy...

sounds like a sales rap for the Tesla ! :lol:
..and still no good if you want to go more than 200mls in a day !

Hillhater said:
sounds like a sales rap for the Tesla ! :lol:
..and still no good if you want to go more than 200mls in a day !

Hehe, I don't work for Tesla (I wish :lol: ) but its a pretty good setup they have.

What people don't understand is that in Electric mode the volt will save an absolute fortune in petrol or even diesel costs.

When people are paying European fuel prices than the volt will be more attractive and of course the leaf.

on the other hand the volt will cost $61000 in Europe LMAO, not going to sell!

I honestly can't see people paying Audi or BMW prices for a GM car! NO WAY!!!! And I hope it is a great success for GM. Michigan needs the volt to sell!

I can't understand why they never went vag's way by making a smaller 1.0litre turbo. Vag can squeeze 105ps from their 1.0.

I can't understand why Toyota went with a 1.8 either? not necessary imo! Even a 1.4 turbo would have made a lot more sense!

I would like to convert my prius gen 2 to plug in, it would make for a cheap E.V!

I think hydrogen will be the fuel of the future, but you need nuke power to make it, msr thorium reactors ( L.F.T.R ) seem like the perfect way to make it!

Mercedes are bring out the fuel cell car the F-cell in 2015, it can refuel in 5 mins and a range of around 350-400 miles (not certain) but we have no hydrogen infrastructure. Kinda like the cart before the horse!

Mark

Chevy Volt burns down it's first garage... :evil: http://www.wfsb.com/news/27541598/detail.html
27545919_640X480.jpg

Back