Choosing the right gear ratio for a cyclone motor

fabieville

100 W
I have a cyclone 3000watt 24-72v motor that i customize on a bicycle frame. I am currently running it on 24v. The current gear ratio setup that i have gives me a lot of torque to climb the steepest hills you can find. I can even stop on a steep hill and move off.

The issue that i have is that its very slow on a flat terrain at 24v and even when i upgrade to 48v there's just a slight improvement on the speed but the torque power is greatly improve as you would have guess.

What i need is a good balance between speed and torque at 24v. I want to travel at a relative good speed when i am on a flat terrain and still can climb hills. Currently the speed on a flat terrain now is around 10-15km per hour which is very slow.

Please give me some suggestions as to what size sprocket i should use on the motor shaft and also on the rear. I currently have a 14t cog on the motor and the rear sprocket is 28T.

Below is my setup.
The idle is there just to prevent the chain from touching the frame. If I need more tension on the chain to getter better chain wrap I can adjust the motor bracket by pulling it forward.
Thanks for info.

I am thinking of using 28t on the motor and 32t or 34t at the back. Is that a good balance between speed and torque? The teeth options that I have to use on both motor and rear are : 28, 32, 34, 38, 42.
What do you suggest I do?

Attachments

• 20220318_075637.jpg
    20220318_075637.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 215
  • cyclone motors.JPG
    cyclone motors.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 215
i cant quite figure out what you want?

more torque/acceleration so less top end speed.

or less torque/acceleration with a higher top end speed. (i think you want this)

if so you need a smaller rear cog, or a larger motor cog. or both.

id suggest a larger motor cog by itself would be best... as it would take up some of that extra chain slack too. maybe a 15t or a 16t

i cant quite figure out what you want?

more torque/acceleration so less top end speed.

or less torque/acceleration with a higher top end speed. (i think you want this)

if so you need a smaller rear cog, or a larger motor cog. or both.

id suggest a larger motor cog by itself would be best... as it would take up some of that extra chain slack too. maybe a 15t or a 16t
I'm currently using a 28T sprocket on the back and the same 28T on the motor. My amps draw on flat terrain is between 28-30 amps. I want to decrease my amps draw on flat terrain to about 20amps max.

What ratio would be best in terms of teeth difference to use. I want to keep the 28T at the motor shaft so what size sprocket should I use at the back? The options at the back are 32,34 and 38.
Which one of these would be best to use at the back to get that 20amps max draw on a flat terrain with good enough torque and a speed on flat terrain at 20-25mph?

Back