Cog manufacturer?

I need a 14mm keyed bore 12 tooth cog for a bicycle chain (preferably a 3/32" bike chain, but I'll settle for 1/8"). As far as I can tell, it doesn't exist. At least, it's not available online. I also need some even more exotic cogs machined. But I can't seem to find anyone to make this stuff. Are there any machinists in Southern California or at least the U.S. I can order from who do this sort of work?

nowholeself said:
I need a 14mm keyed bore 12 tooth cog for a bicycle chain (preferably a 3/32" bike chain, but I'll settle for 1/8"). As far as I can tell, it doesn't exist. At least, it's not available online. I also need some even more exotic cogs machined. But I can't seem to find anyone to make this stuff. Are there any machinists in Southern California or at least the U.S. I can order from who do this sort of work?

First, don't use a narrow sprocket for low tooth count like that. It's just a recipe for having to do the same thing again soon, because you wore it out almost immediately.

Second, don't use 12t if you can use a bigger sprocket on the other end instead. It's more noise, friction, and wear than you have to tolerate. 13t is far from great, but every step below that is disproportionately more destructive to the chain and itself.

If you use 13t or bigger, you can get an adapter threaded for a commercial track cog and lockring, and then you'll always have replacement parts available.

Balmorhea said:
nowholeself said:

First, don't use a narrow sprocket for low tooth count like that. It's just a recipe for having to do the same thing again soon, because you wore it out almost immediately.

Second, don't use 12t if you can use a bigger sprocket on the other end instead. It's more noise, friction, and wear than you have to tolerate. 13t is far from great, but every step below that is disproportionately more destructive to the chain and itself.

If you use 13t or bigger, you can get an adapter threaded for a commercial track cog and lockring, and then you'll always have replacement parts available.

:roll:

nowholeself said:
Balmorhea said:
nowholeself said:

I'm talking to you as a seasoned machinist with decades of cleaning up other folks' messes. You can do whatever your amateur self wants and wreck your stuff. Enjoy.

nowholeself said:
Balmorhea said:
nowholeself said:

Back