Common sense things to do to get ready for Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogman dan

1 PW
No, I'm not a doomsday prepper. But until quite recently, my health was so compromised, I was certain the next flu season would kill me. I was too sick to be working full time anymore, so I did not have to deal with the usual routes of infection getting into the house. I did not go touch things others coughed on at work, or have kids bringing it home. So that helped me self quarantine, or whatever you call it.

I got the flu shot, and I'm sure I got the flu a few times, but it was not as bad as usual. Sick two days but no puking or huge fever, instead of two weeks with a bonus following bacterial infection. No pneumonia and death. Yay.

But I did worry about a Walmart full of infected kids, or even the workers. My simple solution was to do a few things you can always do, like wash the fresh veggies, and for me, I prefer cooked veggies anyway. I shopped in the morning, after the stockers went home, but well before the majority of shoppers got there. The basic idea was that nobody all that sick hauls themselves out of bed at 7 am to shop. Always a few folks in there buying cold medicine and chicken soup, but the very sick ones don't make it till later.

Sanitize the cart of course, then don't touch stuff you bought then rub your eyes. After using the touchpad to pay, or the wand, grab another alcohol wipe on the way out. If they were out of wipes, have something in the car. Don't put the virus that got on your hands on the steering wheel. Come home, put your stuff away, then again wash up.

While the flu was peaking, I simply refused to have anybody touching my food. No fast food, or really any food I don't cook myself. That would usually be January, most of February. Hotter food might be considered, but nobody coughing on my bread for a burger please. A take out enchilada could easily be put on a plate, and heated back up. Same for a Pizza. But no visiting a salad bar.

Anyway, this all served me well for the flu, while I was so sick I thought a case of flu would end me for sure. For anybody still working, much harder to stay self quarantined.

Corona is much different, It may be around longer than just the winter, its a bit more deadly than regular flu, at least for the older folks. And its going to for sure cause interruptions in supply of things. So I went out and did the stock up. But what to stock up on?

First, don't stock up anything you don't use all the time. These are the things you always use. But not a years worth!!! You don't need a pickup truck full of toilet paper. In any case, TP is not a must have thing. You can use an old sock, and then wash it. But a two month supply of everything you use all the time makes sense.

My basic Idea is if Corona is ripping through my town later this year, I can cut my shopping time down to a few min, to grab bread, milk, eggs, and get out the door.

Here is what I stocked up on, simply buying two of most things I'd normally buy one of on payday.

Shampoo
Body lotion
Dish soap
Laundry soap
Rubbing alcohol ,1 bottle
Lysol, one can.
Dog food, two month supply instead of one.

In the food, I do a eat it down to rotate the stock thing in the freezer at least twice a year, so that was low, and I try to not buy a lot of canned food for awhile, after Christmas.

So I just restocked my freezer with the meat I like, the frozen veggies I keep on hand, and such. I did not try to put away a years worth of anything, again, a two month supply.

Dry food, I do like to have a big stock of beans and rice around all the time. I did not need more. This is the one item I do have a years worth around the house. Just in case.

Canned stuff. I got a few extras of miracle whip, ranch dressing, bbq sauce etc. Not a ton, just enough for if the delivery trucks start being late. I restocked the canned stuff I eat all the time, but not really more than usual. I just have some tomato around so I can make a sauce when I want, some beans to go with brats, etc. NO buying canned veggies, or anything I don't eat all the time anyway. Food will be around, but maybe not every item you are used to having. I bought only what I would normally buy, restocking canned stuff to no more than usual, which is a two to three month supply all the time anyway.

Booze, kind of impossible to buy a several month supply of the wine my wife drinks. It would take up too much space. But I did buy an extra bottle of tequila. Like milk or eggs, we will have to get wine periodically. In the store, its right next to the milk anyway. If things get bad, I'll start buying two week supply of milk, eggs, and wine.

So basically, I spent the grocery budget twice, but I did NOT buy a truck load of bottled water, or a flat bed cart full of cliff bars. Saw people at sams club doing that. Two years from now they will be pretty sick of stale outdated cliff bars. :lol: I don't think the water will stop running. Or get dangerous to drink here.

I just got set up to where I won't run out of the stuff we eat or wash with next week, and won't have to go to the store just to buy some soap.

At some point, we are nearly all going to get this virus. But If I can be the last guy to get it, better than the first.

This got expensive, but not one penny more over the next year than normal. DONT buy shit you won't use this year! The cost was covered by a modest savings we keep. But the main thing is I did not go buy face masks at ten bucks a pop, or ten bottles of alcohol. I just made sure we had enough soap in the house for the spring.

“Common sense” seems a rarer and rarer thing in our society. Thank you for writing up this sensible approach to risk management.

This seems to be a big deal, and this time it probably is a good idea to prep a little. Not that I think it is too much to worry about. But because other people worry, there may be a shortage of supply.
There are a flu every year I think? A few years ago it was the swine flu, I got a shot for that one because it was supposed to be something special. I don´t think I even know anyone that got that flu.

I think they say it is a 3% death rate on this flu, and 1% on the "normal" one. But then they said the 3% was probably high, because many who got it didn´t go to the hospital. They thought it was a bad cold or something.
I don't know, is this thing really something to worry about? I mean, it sure has an impact, because they close down services and such things.

j bjork said:
I don't know, is this thing really something to worry about? I mean, it sure has an impact, because they close down services and such things.
It's something to think about. But so is the flu; that has killed a lot more people this year than Coronavirus.

Sounds like a good plan- essentially minimise the time spent interacting with the general public. I plan to ebike everywhere even in the rain, rather than take crowded trains and buses. Work from home where possible and hope like hell it doesn’t rip through the local schools. So far children don’t seem affected by it, but presumably can pass it on like anyone else.

I think the panic and economic carnage over it is far worse than the virus and it will last months or years. Not much you can do if you lose your job!

It is like the regular flu in that the risk is low for the young and healthy and higher risk for the elderly, immunocompromised or those with existing respiratory conditions (like asthma).

It is unlike the flu in that no one has any natural immunity, there is no vaccine and no treatment (besides supportive). So it will spread worse than the flu and if you are a high risk person then it is more serious. If your body isn't capable of fighting off the infection on its own then you will die and there's nothing a hospital can do.

So for the majority of us who are at low risk, the concern should be to be responsible enough to not inadvertently infected those around us who are at greater risk. So it is a big deal for all of us.

I'm in the high risk age group, 50 plus, which means in my age group the mortality could be a lot more than 3% That's kinda scary..

Thank god its not like the 1918 flu, which would kill the young and healthy in two days. That one killed 40 million world wide. Something like nearly 20% mortality. They say its not if, but when, it happens again. They are not sure it was an actual flu in 1918, just that it was flu like. They couldn't see a virus with optical microscopes then. The first corona?

I won the reverse lottery with my west nile virus illness. Nobody gets very sick, most of them never even know they had it. But I get it, and get very sick. Nobody has any lasting effects from it, two weeks and they are fine. 10 years later, I'm still very much affected by it, though I'm now way past the can't even walk around the block part of the illness. Basically, I got west nile bad enough to cook off half my brain. I'm definitely prematurely aged by at least 20 years. The risk of all this was too small to even put a number on it, but there I am, nearly killed by it. Wish I could apply that bad luck to the lotto as good luck.

Kind of like the low risk of the e bike burning my house down,, I'm the winner there too!! :lol:

So I get a bit jumpy, I don't trust low risks anymore. I still do plenty of high risk shit, but I just don't trust disease risk anymore.

But despite all this worry, you don't see me buying MRE's and bottled water, to bug out to the desert to hide. The house, with out kids from school coming home daily, will do fine. Just buy shit you will use anyway, so this doesn't inconvenience you, like you can't buy soap cuz they make it all in China now, or whatever.

Asked a retired Doc friend to give a short seminar to our Church group on what to do with respect to the virus. He said: "Don't need a seminar, stay away from people."

That said here are a few tips I've learned lately:
Hand sanitizer is out of stock in my area. Make your own using vegetable glycerine and rubbing alcohol. 2 parts 91% isopropyl alcohol and 1 part vegetable glycerine. If you can't find the glycerine, aloe vera gel works fine also.

When sanitizing your hands everyone forgets the fingernails. Pour a blob in your right hand, dunk your left fingernails. Transfer blob to left hand and dob your right fingernails. Now slather over hands in usual way. If in car, don't forget to wipe your keyfob and steering wheel when hands are still damp with alcohol.

Back when the contaminated lettuce thing hit with e.coli, I asked a friend at the American institute of baking what might work at home. He said a capful of clorox in a gallon of water. Put in your veggies and swish around. After your done with the veggies, put in your wash cloth and decontaminate your house going from clean areas to dirty. Ring out the wash towel/microfiber towel and get your door knobs, refrigerator/microwave/oven door handles, faucet handles, etc. Then go to the bathroom and do faucets handles, commode handle and the commode and tile floor around it. Store dirty rags in the bucket of cloroxed water till you can wash them with clorox in the wash machine.

I also just installed an ultraviolet sterilizer bulb in the inlet plenum to my forced air furnace. The one I used was made by honneywell, about $150 bucks. Seemed a prudent investment.

My Chinese son in law showed me the "wuhan foot tap" that has replaced handshakes in his community. You can search for it, and see a video of it. Seems a good idea and I stopped handshakes a month ago.

I open doors and such with a corner of my coat and not with my hand anymore.

Resist the obvious... stop chewing fingernails, picking noses etc. Keep your hands off your face and out of your eyes.

Keep in mind the surgical masks won't help you much if you don't have the virus. It helps others if you have it and cough and sneeze. Your spit/snot gets caught by the mask and not broadcast into the air. Your going to need a respirator and then decontamination procedure going the other way around. So if your in a hot zone, stay away from people.

And PLEASE if your sick, don't go to work, school, or a social event! From eye witness testimony, this stuff starts out easy peasy. Like a runny nose... then 4 to 7 days later... wham into pneumonia.

Hope this helps some. ... for you young guys it looks like nothing to worry about. For us ol' guys, we got to be more careful. Our health might be more fragile than we thought in the fall of last year.

Take care all. All the best, bigMoose

Wash hands, don't touch face, keep in mind things like your phone keys door handles wallet etc can be contaminated so you need to either sterilize them frequently with 60%+ alcohol or bleach or just wash your hands after touching them. A real pain in the ass, I know.

JackFlorey said:
But so is the flu; that has killed a lot more people this year than Coronavirus.

How many more times do I have to hear this bullshit? Corona is about 20 times deadlier than the flu so 20 times as many will die if as many people catch it as catch the flu. We don't know how many people will end up getting sick, but it will be a lot. Stop saying stuff like this, it's not only ignorant but dangerous.

flat tire said:
How many more times do I have to hear this bullshit? Corona is about 20 times deadlier than the flu so 20 times as many will die if as many people catch it as catch the flu.
Right. And given that the infection has peaked in China with far fewer cases than we see of common flu, we know that that assumption is not valid.
We don't know how many people will end up getting sick, but it will be a lot.
Yes. And regular flu will sicken far more.
Stop saying stuff like this, it's not only ignorant but dangerous.
Why? It is a fact. Why not say "stuff like this?" Not enough panic for you yet?

Interesting data: in the 1918 "flu", 71% of the pregnant women that were in a hospital died. Seems like the problem is subsiding in China since Bafang and other companies are starting to manufacture again. China's efforts may be more effective than ours if the condition worsens here since they can mandate activities that (potentially) we can only recommend.

Anti-biotics were not easily and readily available until after WWII. I know the Flu/Corona Virus is a virus, but...as an example, the woman who died in Washington not only had the Corona virus, she also had Pneumonia. I suspect the 1918 Flu had similar issues with complications arising from additional illnesses.

1918 was a time when tuberculosis, polio, smallpox, yellow-fever, venereal disease, and malaria were all commonly found in patients (among others).

spinningmagnets said:
the woman who died in Washington not only had the Corona virus, she also had Pneumonia.
That's one of the common symptoms of severe coronavirus cases.

JackFlorey said:
Not enough panic for you yet?

No panic, and there are basically two options: use drastic measures to slow down the virus to an acceptable growth rate until we get a vaccine or let a number of people on the order of flu season get infected. You can read for yourself about what happens in that case at cdc.gov coronavirus.jhu.edu and by googling coronavirus scientific papers.

If local supplies of hand sanitizer are sold out, you can make it with 2/3rds volume of everclear (95% alcohol) and 1/3 volume of aloe-vera gel. You can also use Bacardi 151 (75% alcohol). Common liquors like vodka are 80-proof, which is 40% alcohol, and they are not strong enough. Also, 91% isopropyl alcohol from CVS or Walgreens will work. It is 9% adulterant, so people will not drink it.

spinningmagnets said:
It is 9% adulterant, so people will not drink it.

It is 9% water, and you can't drink isopropyl anyway. Ethanol is the one you drink.

flat tire said:
spinningmagnets said:
It is 9% adulterant, so people will not drink it.

It is 9% water, and you can't drink isopropyl anyway. Ethanol is the one you drink.

Is it too soon to make a Kitty Dukakis joke?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8073543/TWO-strains-killer-coronavirus-spreading-study-claims.html

The coronavirus has mutated into at least two separate strains since the outbreak began in December, according to Chinese scientists.

Researchers say there are now two types of the same coronavirus infecting people – and most people seem to have caught the most aggressive form of it.

At least 94,000 people have been infected around the world and almost 3,200 have died, while 50,000 have recovered from the disease.

The team of experts from Beijing and Shanghai said 70 per cent of people have caught the most aggressive strain of the virus but that this causes such bad illness that it has struggled to spread since early January.

Now an older, milder strain seems to be becoming more common.

Knowing that the virus can mutate may make it harder to keep track of or to treat, and raises the prospect that recovered patients could become reinfected.

The experts cautioned that the study that discovered the mutation only used a tiny amount of data – 103 samples – so more research is needed, and another scientist added that it is normal for viruses to change when they jump from animals to humans.

25530434-8073543-image-a-2_1583332676853.jpg

flat tire said:
No panic, and there are basically two options: use drastic measures to slow down the virus to an acceptable growth rate until we get a vaccine
Which is what has been happening.
or let a number of people on the order of flu season get infected.
No one is suggesting "let everyone get infected."

spinningmagnets said:
If local supplies of hand sanitizer are sold out . . .
You could always wash your hands.
Also, 91% isopropyl alcohol from CVS or Walgreens will work. It is 9% adulterant, so people will not drink it.
It's 91% adulterant. Isopropyl will make you very sick. You might be thinking of ethanol based rubbing alcohol which is indeed adulterated (denatured.)

I read in a news paper that some transit systems are do extra cleaning/disinfecting of the buses/trains/platforms/handles/buttons/seats. The paper would not mention said transit system, just S.Ontario.

bigmoose said:
That said here are a few tips I've learned lately:
Hand sanitizer is out of stock in my area. Make your own using vegetable glycerine and rubbing alcohol. 2 parts 91% isopropyl alcohol and 1 part vegetable glycerine. If you can't find the glycerine, aloe vera gel works fine also.

Vegetable glycerine is the main ingredient in vape juice, you can get it in vape shops that sells diy stuff.

Thread starting to morph into what to do when its ripping through your town. But some good practical advice, so thanks.

Do stock up on booze when it does hit, don't drink the rubbing alcohol. 10% bleach solution is a good hand sanitizer, but its definitely going to be hard on your hands. But if its all you have left, its all that's left.

I'll just be avoiding eating out, and cook the veggies. I figure everything in the store is contaminated, so when its flu time, I start using a sanitizer at the car, after I unload the bags, but before I touch the steering wheel. If actually sick, I will start lysoling the car periodically, and the obvious stuff in the house, fridge handle, coffee pot handle, door handles. Trying not to let my wife get it. We did the separate bedrooms years ago, when my back could no longer stand the bed she likes. Sex not a problem, if one of us is sick, not happening. We start to miss kissing a lot though.

Re comparisons to 1918, this one is very interesting in a science geek way. Did it become two strains? Was is always two strains present? Did you get that info on fake book? There was plenty of bad science, and just plain rumor in 1918 too. I have a good book in my library "Flu" by Gina Kolata. Mostly its about research to identify the actual virus that caused the 1918 pandemic.

One of the things that is a good scare to worry about now, is that that one broke out somewhere, in the spring. It got noticed when it went pandemic in Spain, hence the name Spanish Flu. But the real epidemic in north hemisphere happened the following fall of 1918, when the normal flu season came around. Many got it and survived, as is normal for the flu. What was weird about that one was it killed healthy young people in 2 days. That was in the fall, after it may have mutated, or a stronger strain got going pandemic. Many died in two weeks, but those were bacterial pneumonia deaths, which we can treat now.

When corona 19 starts to kill in two days, I'll start to freak out. But right now its taking a longer time, and only taking the weak. So thus far, its not 1918 again yet. Its more like the more recent corona out brakes, Sars 2003, and Mers 2015. But will it be deadlier next fall? Hmmm.. We will get a vaccine,, but it won't be in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back