Considering a KMX / Cyclone project

Hasaf

10 mW
I am giving strong consideration to building a new toy. I have been looking at this body kit; so seriously looking that I told the maker to sign me up for the next CNC batch.
P26_zps3922ac56.jpg

It is built around the idea of a 20” wheel trike. I currently only have two wheel bents and this will be my first foray into trikes. I like this one because: I am fascinated and amused by the elegance of having a CVT, I like the idea of the maintenance simplification that comes from no derailleurs (this I see as being even more important when one adds a body kit).
main1.jpg

I noticed this motor mount kit on cyclones website. I wrote to them and was told that there is no extra charge for the square tube motor mount. In fact, I was told that they would upgrade this kit, the one I inquired about, to the 1260W motor at no extra charge. I will say that I am a bit concerned about he upgrade and am inclined to turn that down, as the legal limit is 750W.
newdouble-freewheel.jpg

With this motor -- 720W " double freewheel kit" +cyclone 24AH 36V Lifepo4 ( battery in bag weight 10kg) pack in bag + 10A charger Complete kit ( with 24~36V 50A kelly controller) $1039USD

Any thoughts?

My concerns: 1. Ease of putting it together, I do not want to have a half finished project sitting around. 2. Range, I am not as concerned about speed, I do not think a, direct steering, trike is gong be safe over 30mph; so I see no reason to build a racer.

My goal is to order all the “stuff” and have it sitting there for tinkering on during my month of leave this summer (the body kit might not arrive on time; I can live without that).

Is there anything else I should plan on having on hand?

I feel safer riding my kmx at 55mph than my 29er bike at 30. If you have properly adjusted toe it's a blast. I would love to have a Bafang on my KMX but the Cromotor is more suitable for my needs, as opposed to desires. :) usually that's the other way around with those two...

Also you'll need a tensioner if not a derailleur. Not much simpler, I use a derailleur as a tensioner...

xenodius said:
I feel safer riding my kmx at 55mph than my 29er bike at 30. If you have properly adjusted toe it's a blast. I would love to have a Bafang on my KMX but the Cromotor is more suitable for my needs, as opposed to desires. :) usually that's the other way around with those two...

Also you'll need a tensioner if not a derailleur. Not much simpler, I use a derailleur as a tensioner...

The KMX I am looking at seems to come with a tensioner. I am also thinking of the Bafang, I like that the Bafang is a complete, bolt on, unit. I am concerned with the reports of a lack of parts availability for the Bafang.

And I do thank you for the stability comment, I really am not too sure what I am getting into with a trike. I faintly recall a "Big Wheel" as a child and I made a quick ride on a "granny trike" in a park once, after patching the tyre for the old-lady owner. The Granny trike was frighteningly unstable. I suspect with the tadpole design it should be a little better. It is good to hear from someone who actually has a KMX; they do not seem to common on bentrider.

Its going to be damned loud inside that plastic body, if not intolerable, with a cyclone in there, from what I understand. I have a front-faired recumbent with a very quiet front hub motor (Crystalyte 405) just under the fairing, and the sound is considerably amplified.

Regarding your concern about the 1260W upgrade exceeding the legal limit, there is no difference between the motors in the 1260 kit and the 650W kit. The controller is upgraded to handle a higher voltage battery. There may also be a sticker sometimes indicates 1260W. Just peel off the sticker. No officer is ever going to be able to tell the difference or really care unless you are weaving in and out of traffic, at which point, it's not the power that is going to get you into trouble. Even if you get the 1260W kit, you still have the option to run at a lower battery voltage (36v) and be considered "legal", but at least you have the option to unleash the full power and run at 48 volts.

I've pulled over 8kw while looking a cop in the eye, and only ever received waves and smiles. YMMV. I love my cromotor but itch for a faired, high efficiency bb-drive for touring. In-city I have 15-25%grades to manage so giant dd is the best choice there, but I tried to do a century on my kmx and the Cromotor drag made me regret it when I ran out of juice with 3 (!!!) miles to go- I need a schlumpf drive.

Point is, Bafang beats cyclone and I don't think you want GNG/Lightningrod power levels through your bike. It won't overheat, the spiral gears are high mileage, and you can put new chain wheels on... what's not to love? :) you could fit 2 or 3x Cellman triangle packs behind the seat!! That'd be spendy though :)

I looked at the Sprint and kmx and see a problem. Kmx is direct steer. Sprint is not. You'll need to cut out a lot of the fairing for the handlebars to fit during any reasonable turn radius I think... unfortunately... this would drastically increase the range of my kmx! But I think I'm going to eventually repaint my frame, and when I do, I'd love to build a reinforced fiberglass fairing and weld some mounts onto the frame for it. And maybe an external handle for tugging/parking and hook for chaining it up.

Back