Controller recommendations (torque sensor + off road mode)

Hi all,

I'm building a street legal 'speed pedelec'. The frame I bought is registered as a 500w bike with a top speed of 45km/h.
In the Netherlands, torque sensors are obligatory, top speeds are limited to 45km/h and throttle-only speed is limited to 20km/h.
In cities, we have to drive on the road among cars, where cars are allowed to drive 50km/h. You can see where the problem lies: drivers get furious at our slower speeds and try passing us in dangerous places.

I'm thus looking for a controller that supports torque sensors and offers a 'secret' mode that allows full power and slightly higher top speeds. This mode must be stealthy enough not to be found by authorities in case of an inspection.

So far the only option I found are kunteng controllers with the open source software developped by multiple forum members.

Is this a reliable option? Are there better options out there?
I'm looking for at least 1500w

Best regards,

you can use any controller with a throttle input, that does not require pas input to work, if you use the cycle analyst v3 from http://ebikes.ca to interpret the throttle and pas/torque sensor controls to generate the throttle signal for the controller.

the ca v3 can do whatever limiting you need it to, and can have presets for different setups / modes where one is unlimited for offroad use, and another is limited for on-road use. how you implement the switch for that would be up to you.

the ca v3 does not have to go on the handlebars, though that's the most common place for it so you can see the info on the display. if you like you can even take the main board out of the casing, and cut the display off, so the main board will fit inside something else (even the controller casing if there's enough empty space), if you wish to hide it. to change settings on it you would then use the usb-serial cable from grin tech, and program it from your computer instead of the onscreen menus.

A nucular 12fet, or even 6fet if it gets finished may be something.
You can program "hot keys" on the display to do what you want, but it can be found if they test to hold down the button for a few seconds. Or you can set up a hidden switch, or maybe a button if you prefer. (not sure)

Back