Converting an actual motorcyle to electric

MarkJohnston

10 kW
I went to go look at an 80s honda gold wing. Engine needs to be pulled, oil is shooting out exhaust and there is a stator problem. The electronic system is fried. The bike is totaled. The guy was trying to get rid of it and dropped the price in half. Its one of those ride it till it dies bikes.

I am wondering if such a bike would make a good conversion. That hugs engine means a ton of space for a battery. I just wonder how hard and expensive it would be to build a 99 kW motor.

I would just ride it till it dies, then pull the engine, and replace with electric battery and motor. But if I'm correct in assuming its not that simple. I've been watching videos on this.

I think you may have to aim lower powerwise. A 99kw traction motor even from Alibaba would be in the order of $10,000 usd, meaning all in the conversion would cost about as much as a new Goldwing. I wanted to convert a bike too, but its cheaper just to shell out for a new build (electric or petrol) unless you have a good source of used parts to cobble together.

I think you may have to aim lower powerwise. A 99kw traction motor even from Alibaba would be in the order of $10,000 usd, meaning all in the conversion would cost about as much as a new Goldwing. I wanted to convert a bike too, but its cheaper just to shell out for a new build (electric or petrol) unless you have a good source of used parts to cobble together.
Right, seems like all the ebikes are much weaker than their gas counterparts. 99 kW Or 1gW motors would have enough torque to keep up with a modern bike

IMO, it would be very difficult even with a regular chain driven bike. But Gold Wings are shaft drive, which adds a whole new level of complication. This might work if you are some sort of wizard machinist. Or not.

Right, seems like all the ebikes are much weaker than their gas counterparts. 99 kW Or 1gW motors would have enough torque to keep up with a modern bike
Yes and no. I ended up buying an bmw electric scooter for the wife, its classed as a 400cc equivalent but up to the majority of legal limits here its faster than all but the top tier 1000cc supersports bike. 70-100km/h+ they leave it for dead, but its still better than the equivalently powered petrol.

Raylo is right that the GL1200 goldwing would be one of the hardest to get to work, shaft drive, special suspension, massive weight and frontal area. All the things an electric conversion would struggle with. Small to midsize bikes with hub drives seem to be where the conversion action is.

Yes and no. I ended up buying an bmw electric scooter for the wife, its classed as a 400cc equivalent but up to the majority of legal limits here its faster than all but the top tier 1000cc supersports bike. 70-100km/h+ they leave it for dead, but its still better than the equivalently powered petrol.

Raylo is right that the GL1200 goldwing would be one of the hardest to get to work, shaft drive, special suspension, massive weight and frontal area. All the things an electric conversion would struggle with. Small to midsize bikes with hub drives seem to be where the conversion action is.

It would be cool, but I need something for long distances and to use on the interstate. People usually go 80 mph or 110 kmh. These bikes dont have that kind of range or speed.

go to diy electric vehicles facebook page search for Trevor Wlliams he converted a 1980 Honda Goldwing /Ryland Erdman has converted Honda Cx500's
Later floyd

It also depends on what works for you. I thought that for my first conversion, I should be finding a motorcycle frame that was quite light, something in the 50-100cc range, and go from there, because a heavy body needs a lot of power to move forward. I ended up getting a 450 pound CM450 (which I got down to 365 pounds post conversion). And at first, with my lack of experience, I was thinking, "shucks, I shouldn't have worked on such a heavy frame." But after riding it for a year, I now see the positive tradeoff: converting a sturdy, heavy motorcycle frame that was designed to go 100mph, but only taking it up to 60mph, means its a lot less flimsy and smoother to ride than a 60mph ebike. For me, personally, it was worth it in the end to have to build a bigger battery and buy a more powerful motor.

That's not to say it's wrong or incorrect to overpower a light frame. Just, for me, I have come to appreciate a heavy, sturdy, beast of an e-vehicle.

Still, it was my first conversion, and I plan to do better on my next one: a 500cc frame, but aluminum, frame weighs 40 pounds less, better structure and suspension. I do agree with the earlier commenters, that even if you want to convert a bigger motorcycle, a shaft drive is going to be the trickiest obstacle.

100kw would be at least 10-20kw of heat. The motor would need water cooling,even driven carefully, the battery may get away with ventilation. e-engines can not run such high temperatures as an air or water cooled petrol burner. So the heat dissipating area has to rise. Not so easy on a bike.
I have no idea which kind of motor this would take. IMO even with 50kw of electric power a Gold Wing should move quite well. It was not made for racing anyway. The main question is the one for any electric vehicle: How far do I get at a reasonable speed. As it is a highway bike, this speed should be maybe 55-70 mph? How high is the consumption on constant speed. Something like a two speed gearbox may be an advantage, depending on the motor used. One gear to get it going and then overdrive for cruise at best efficiency.
If you ask me, make it as aerodynamic as possible, not this barn door wind shield which makes the fuel driven GW consume more petrol than a medium sized car.

Last edited:
Most conversions require custom fabrication.
There are a few kits available for dirt bike conversions.
Do you have a shop space and tools for the task ?

go to diy electric vehicles facebook page search for Trevor Wlliams he converted a 1980 Honda Goldwing /Ryland Erdman has converted Honda Cx500's
Later floyd
I had a look at the work from Trevor, a hell of a lot of nice fabrication there. Neat liquid cooling, but damn that battery box looks wiiiiiiiide to get your legs around. Pretty cool that a 35kw motor can move that thing so fast.

Back