Converting my Bullitt Cargo Bike

Xoc

1 mW
Hello,

I've been reading a bit on getting a kit for my Bullitt Cargo Bike made by Larry vs Harry.
I've been commuting for about 8 years now on my touring bike, and I also have a road bike that I do some racing on.

The cargo bike is fast to bike around empty, but gets heavy once I put anything in it. I plan on making a canopy to put little ones in in the near future, so that will add even more wind resistance and weight. The bike has a 20" front and 26" rear wheel and has Mechanical Disc Brakes front and rear.

I'm thinking of going with a DD hub motor in the Front and hope to use regen with it, so that it helps cut down on replacing brake pads.
I'm hoping for some sort of PAS. I don't need this to be a speed demon, just something to take off the stress of pushing such a heavy bike around.

From what I can tell, the "Crystalyte Front H Kit, Advanced PAS" from ebikes.ca is my best bet. Though I think the motor is probably overkill for what I need?
I think I'd put a 48V battery with a 20amp controller.

I guess I'm just looking for advice on what people would recommend based on:
- wanting PAS
- wanting regen
- heavy bike
- max speed needed 35kph
- fairly reliable

I've looked at the Bionx D500 kit, and while I love the way the PAS works on it, I was hoping to save a bit while DIYing a more powerful kit for less money.

Thanks for any feedback, here's some pictures of my cargo bike as it currently is:
IMG_20160715.jpg
IMG_20160915.jpg
Mike

I think you might find a direct drive hub sluggish if you're used to pedaling your bike freely. Consider using a geared hub motor. Regen is a buzz kill when it means you can't coast normally. If you ride pedal bike style, you'll get more benefit from coasting than from regen anyway.

http://www.goldenmotor.ca/products/26-Inch-Rear-Black-Magic-Conversion-Kit.html
Or check ebay.

If you live in an area with hills, I definitely think regen braking is a huge plus.
Especially when the bike is heavily loaded.

I have a cargobike that's somewhat similar to yours, which I have a hubmotor on.
It is however a heavy beast compared to a harry vs larry bullitt. I have ridden it 6600kms since july 2015. It has been very reliable.

A hub of say 1000-1500W in the front wheel would pull the bullitt bike around, with cargo. Unless you live on a mountain.
I have a 1500W hub in a 26" wheel, which is enough for hills with cargo but hard on the motor.
Need to pull 2,5kw to keep the speed above 20km/h sometimes, but I have never had to stop and push the bike.

If you want a smaller hub, don't go with a DD hub.
But for overall reliability, I think it is hard to beat a DD hub. They are quiet and very maintenance free.

Check my signature for info on my setup.

Braking a cargo bike with a heavy load is important, but looks like your have it covered, you just need a motor with a disc mount, and most have that now days.

Only if you will descend really serious hills would I add the regen. I don't recommend geared motors for heavily loaded cargo bikes, but in a 20" wheel, you can get away with more. But I still think you need a DD, for it's ability to shed the heat if you do heat one up climbing a hill. But though that will work, and work well, you need to look at mid drives too.

BEST approach for that particular bike, is a mid drive, like the BBs02 IMO. All the reputable retailers of electric cargo bikes in the USA dumped the hub motor for mid drive in 2016 models. Most of those have 26" wheels though, while your front is smaller. But I still think mid drive is the future for cargo bikes. But no regen with it.

As for PAS,, lots of people love it. I hate it. But I mean cheap poorly tuned pas. The advanced pas from grin is a totally different, much better thing. But my motorcycle background makes using a throttle best for me, always. A throttle only is just more infinitely and more instantly variable, putting 100% of the control in my hand. With pas,, hold a brake lever down at all times when at a stop.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I've done some more reading based on your thoughts. I'm probably still going to go with a DD hub, rather than a gear or mid drive. Mainly for the regen (though I might add it later) and for keeping the wear off my drivetrain (vs a middrive).

Looking at the 9C+ motors from ebikes.ca now.

I would suggest to think about the new Heinzmann Cargo DD with 100nm torque peak. It is a special development for Cargo-Bikes. The motor is geared but without freewheel so it can use regen

http://www.ebike.heinzmann.com/en/systems/cargopower/motor

That heinzmann is hugely interesting. Is it brushed or brushless? The old heinzmann was the true torque monster motor. it was also as loud as a hammer drill too. And got hot as hell really fast. Best I ever cooked off a motor was an old heinzmann.

Surely by now,, it's quieter and brushless, which runs at least 20% cooler than brushed.

But,, I don't see where they say so there. they do say metal planetary gear, but maybe not so loud as the old gears were, with an oil bath.

I'd suggest the heavy duty motor my employer sells, but you want regen, and the E bikekit controller does not regen. So the 9c from Grin ( front hub for 20" wheels torque) with the advanced PAS looks like the best choice for what you insist on.

The reason I am probably going to go with Grin is because I can pickup the kit as I go over to Vancouver a couple times a year. Which will save me on the expensive battery shipping costs.

dogman dan said:
So the 9c from Grin ( front hub for 20" wheels torque) with the advanced PAS looks like the best choice for what you insist on.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

Back