Copenhagen wheel

I hate to sound negative but the vast majority of people in this forum have very specific needs and want to build their bike to fill those needs. Needs such as distance, speed, terrain, cargo loads, ad infinitum. The Copenhagen wheel is so limiting. Meh. Just my 2 cents.

100volts+ said:
I hate to sound negative but the vast majority of people in this forum have very specific needs and want to build their bike to fill those needs. Needs such as distance, speed, terrain, cargo loads, ad infinitum. The Copenhagen wheel is so limiting. Meh. Just my 2 cents.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the Copenhagen wheel. I've already got my 30 mph commuter, but I think the wheel would be a perfect entrée into ebiking for other family members...

How does the battery get charged?
Do you have to take the entire wheel off to recharge?!
Being new to ebiking, I would be into this if the battery is easily charged. The price is decent.

Mo Sizlak said:
Being new to ebiking, I would be into this if the battery is easily charged. The price is decent.
All eBike batteries are easy to charge - and every commercial maker makes it as easy and fool proof as possible. The only trick is to insure a perfect match between the charge characteristics of the battery and the charger supplied, and charger shut-off before maximum safe charge. If that is accomplished well, it becomes rather idiot proof.

Mo Sizlak said:
see FAQ's @ http://www.superpedestrian.com Looks like the preliminary design is choice of charging directly at the wheel,or removing battery to charge at another location.

Yeah it says removable lithium battery, but from what I can tell, the battery is deep inside the wheel, so will it be quick and easy to release or will it involve a lot more effort to remove??

Copenhagen Wheel in the news again...

Looong article "If an Electric Bike Is Ever Going to Hit It Big in the U.S., It's This One"
http://www.citylab.com/commute/2014/07/if-an-electric-bike-is-ever-going-to-hit-it-big-in-the-us-its-this-one/375167/

Bottom of that page re the CityLab site:
Through original reporting, sharp analysis, and visual storytelling, CityLab informs and inspires the people who are creating the cities of the future—and those who want to live there.

"creating the cities of the future"? Ain't ES already doing that???

Hehe...

Nice article, thanks. Favorite quote:
MacArthur notes that while his survey wasn't the most scientific, it did reveal some interesting demographics about who is using electric bicycles. About 45 percent of respondents were 55 or older, and about 30 percent indicated that they have a physical condition that makes riding a standard bike difficult. He argues that these should be indications to retailers that the market for electric bicycles isn't just hip Millennials; older people are interested, too.
I'd say that 45% is more than interest. We seem to be a market driver.

Yah. In Europe it was older folks that started riding bettery-electric (sp?) first, and now over there the younger are starting to "catch on" too, AFAIK.

That's a great article. Thanks for the share!

Every time I hear Copenhagen Wheel, I think of Weeds. The show where I first saw it, before I even rode my first ebike.

Hey everyone. I don't know if you've already heard about this tech, but it's pretty cool. See link below.

https://www.superpedestrian.com/

very very old news. It's been coming soon, or available for pre-order, or something along those lines for 4 or 5 years now.

While the idea is neat, its not a technical revolution. It's doing things no one has done before with ebike design because there are really good reasons no one wanted to do them. It has no redeemable features except for clean aesthetics and shiny red paint.

I hope it does make it into people's hands, and I wish the company all the success they can handle. But there are many products out there that do a better job for less money. They just aren't as pretty a shade of red.

yup. not going to break any land speed records. but it will be nice not to have to charge and carry the battery weight.. and unlimited range really as long as you can keep your legs going..

i have build a engine that uses the same principals and i can say the cost of the bike is worth the parts in my opinion.. not cheap to build even ordering parts and pieces on ebay and still cost arm and a leg. but i can charge batteries for free anytime i need too. and this is worth the money. i am working on a larger system that will be able to power my 30' mobile trailor

Hillhater said:
users pedal and the motor phases in and out automatically. The Wheel learns about the rider and intuitively recognizes how hard he or she pedals and the topography ahead to determine how much support the rider may need. There aren't any additional throttles, wires, or buttons, maintaining the pure simplicity of cycling.

Well, ..there goes any credibility they may have had !

Actually, these days a decent machine learning algorithm with a lot of influx data just might be able to do that. You'd need to interface it with GPS, elevation data, and so on, and I'd see it working best if you take it out a LOT (the amount of training data you need to acquire for a decent machine learning algorithm these days is pretty significant), and they've probably had to slap an enormous ARM processor into the controller to get the necessary computing power for this, but it just might work. I don't personally see the value of using it, but creating it was probably a hell of a lot of fun (or someone's capstone project, or both, I'm not sure which).

ARod1993 said:
Hillhater said:
users pedal and the motor phases in and out automatically. The Wheel learns about the rider and intuitively recognizes how hard he or she pedals and the topography ahead to determine how much support the rider may need. There aren't any additional throttles, wires, or buttons, maintaining the pure simplicity of cycling.

Well, ..there goes any credibility they may have had !

Actually, these days a decent machine learning algorithm with a lot of influx data just might be able to do that. You'd need to interface it with GPS, elevation data, and so on, and I'd see it working best if you take it out a LOT (the amount of training data you need to acquire for a decent machine learning algorithm these days is pretty significant), and they've probably had to slap an enormous ARM processor into the controller to get the necessary computing power for this, but it just might work. I don't personally see the value of using it, but creating it was probably a hell of a lot of fun (or someone's capstone project, or both, I'm not sure which).

This would be a nice feature: The ability to determine downhill slope. If the decline is steep, the regen could be activated. If the decline is slight, the regen could be left off for better coasting.

Avitt said:
This would be a nice feature: The ability to determine downhill slope. If the decline is steep, the regen could be activated. If the decline is slight, the regen could be left off for better coasting.

That would be interesting, but if you want to get really fancy the thing to do is interface it with the traffic signals at the bottom of the hill; leave regen off (and maybe kick in a little bit of current to speed you up) if there's no stop sign at the bottom of the hill, or the bike will reach the bottom while the light is green; otherwise, kick on the regen at a value determined by downslope and needed braking force to bring the bike to a smooth stop before the intersection.

ARod1993 said:
That would be interesting, but if you want to get really fancy the thing to do is interface it with the traffic signals at the bottom of the hill; leave regen off (and maybe kick in a little bit of current to speed you up) if there's no stop sign at the bottom of the hill, or the bike will reach the bottom while the light is green
... At which point, some D-bag in a SUV blows the intersection...

Designed by engineers for engineers.
It never ceases to amaze me how engineers think they have a handle on marketing.
They have repackaged existing technology, made it expensive and stuck it in a Fixie frame to try and make it cool. :roll:

Modbikemax said:
It never ceases to amaze me how engineers think they have a handle on marketing.
They have repackaged existing technology, made it expensive and stuck it in a Fixie frame to try and make it cool. :roll:
Designed by Hipsters for Hipsters. :mrgreen:

Drunkskunk said:
Modbikemax said:

Hipsters would have given it a better paint job :wink:

Modbikemax said:
Drunkskunk said:
Modbikemax said:

Hipsters would have given it a better paint job :wink:

True; my guess is that this is an interdisciplinary team of EEs, app developers, and artificial intelligence people (probably driven by the latter two groups), all of whom wanted to add significant core value to the thing and who've been hanging out in the Media Lab for too long rather than the machine shops. Basically, this was most likely the sort of thing that was a hell of a lot of fun to create, but the only people I can see being super interested in using this are other app devs and people who have a deep and abiding love for "smart" tech (of which I am one, but on a budget I prefer raw horsepower and customizability per dollar).

Back