http://sheldonbrown.com/

http://bicycletutor.com/

DIY Headset tools and procedures:

http://forums.mtbr.com/tooltime/mkiii-homemade-headset-tools-130069.html

DIY Wheel Building:

http://miketechinfo.com/new-tech-wheels-tires.htm

Installing Moped/Motorcycle Tires:

http://www.dansmc.com/tires1.htm

Thanks briangv99 for the comments. Have a lathe here, can make custom spacers.

Would the Shimano thread all the way down on the Cromotor, or did it run out of threads before it was fully "on"?

How is the "Chain Line" and what crank are you using?

The Shimano runs out of thread, so sticks out a bit, the dicta screws all the way down. Cranks I'm using will be back up only with I tiny 21 tooth gear from a BMX trials bike. Not sure about chain line yet Oi Po

Hello

Thank-you for this thread.Its like getting a bunch of experts to order your new car for you.Spent at least a hundred hours running around the forum and the greybeard is the easiest for a first build,i think.

I have a scooter stye for highway use and now i want something for trails and off road fun to legally go on the trail around me here in Niagara Falls Ontario.

The journey is hallways better than the destination-unless your already there.

How much- roughly- do you think you will have all in for everything,including shipping to the US?
Inquiring new minds would like to know the damage to the pocket book-aka-my wife!I told her it would only be about 5 grand :oops:
I have almost got her convinced since borrowed money is free and the world is coming to an end anyway ,some folks think. :roll:

She wants to know if we can get a seat like on the Charley to ride double-if she can hang on tight enough.

And I think your color scheme should be a patriotic red,white and blue-since mine will e sporting a big red maple-leaf on the white background with a nice little hood scoop. :twisted:

Too much fun !

Cheers

You could probably do it for 3K, perhaps less if you were careful and skipped some of the optional things. Use bike tires and rims, skip dual brakes, downsize controller and battery, use standard single speed crank, maybe a lower end fork. Save even more by using lower power/cost motor. So the cost can vary by more than a 2:1 ratio. Full up with pretty near all options it is about half of a Stealth Bomber in cost. The Bomber has that transmission and is very tough, but the 'Borg will carry more battery and should be a bit lighter. They are similar but different in many ways.

One thing about building a Greyborg - you will learn a lot. Short of welding a frame or winding a motor, you will learn most everything about bikes and ebikes, aside from what you hire out.

AVG Blade Helmet

Here is Kingfish's review thread on this helmet. Good pricing available now on this DOT rated helmet which is appropriate for this ebike and up to moped class use. Must be the end of the model year soon, driving prices down. Supply is also short, not all colors/sizes everywhere.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23862

Schlumpf Speed Drive Installation

This install requires a special chamfering tool. I have confirmation that Ilia of ebikessf.com will do this. This is one tool I probably don't want to collect. He has a video on this installation process.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=27355&p=400353&hilit=schlumpf+video#p400353

On Headsets

Chris King headsets appear to be very good, used by racers. A bit pricey at $100+, maybe not needed on this project.

Cane Creek makes a range. Considering their 40.TR34 midrange model, about $50.

Headsets can be installed with makeshift tools, and it is not hard to turn a nice tool on the lathe. An installation mistake can ruin the head tube and essentially ruin the frame, so take care. The LBS can do it for you. I'll probably make a tool, or have Ilia do it when we are doing the bottom bracket.

I'd like to tell you that the big boxes arrived, but that would be better than reality. Good thing we're not anxious.

I checked the tracking numbers, one shows shipment on the expected date, but nothing else. The other must have a typo because it doesn't work. Not a big deal, those post office tracking numbers aren't too useful anyway.

The seat and tubes arrived, and the garage door opener. So we have another project to get done.

I should measure the tire diameter for interest. Here it is.

The Michelin Gazelle 2.5-17 inch tires measure 21-3/4 inches in diameter - unmounted.

What about tire weight?

A pair of them weighs 9 pounds 9 ounces. :shock:

And the seat:

Cloud 9 - 2 pounds 1 ounce.

And the tire tube:

A pair of Kenda tubes are 1 pound 3 ounces.

Tire Info from Sidewalls:

Michelin M62 Gazelle 2.5-17
Load Range B
Max Load 155 kg 342 pounds at 248 kPa 36 psi cold
2 polyamide plies
Canada and US codes only
DOT
W8XW 929T
made in Thailand
43P Reinf
Tube Type
part 87-9389 sku 113658
there is a barcode sticker on the bead which I understand is the light side of the tire to go next to the valve stem

There are actually a bunch more things on the sidewall that don't look useful so I'll skip typing them all in. Amazing amount of info.

I really dig the tread pattern on the Gazelles!

DSCN2829.jpg

Same tire.
Inflated height is a hair under 22" on my 1.20 rim.
Speed rating: P-Rated up to 93 MPH(!)

Yes, these will do nicely.

Edit: fixed (I measured from 1" and forgot to add it back :oops: Sorry!)

That is a very handsome wheel. My tires look just like tat, minus the little rock. Sounds like they grow a bit under pressure. Good to know.

There are so many mold air relief nubs they'll probably lose an ounce or two when they wear off. Makes a porcupine look when new.

Question. A quick poll. The rims I'm looking at are black, as are the hubs. Black tires, rims and hubs call for ______ color spokes?

Garage door opener installed. What a task. Took two days and four trips to the hardware store. Also need to sell the first opener I bought as it didn't fit, and really need a new garage door too. Maybe next month.

No real Greyborg progress but have been reading about bicycle dynamics. Some interesting contradictions there. Like higher center of gravity increasing stability. :!:

For the most obvious bicycle look you want the side covers black and the frame tubes not black. With a brightly painted bicycle frame, people just see a bicycle flashing by as you ride. The factory made e motorcycles usually have a bright colored side panel or battery enclsure giving it a more defined motorcycle look.
These two are good examples of bicycle vs. Motorcycle. The pugsley has an understated battery enclosure. The enertia has an obvious battery.
Spoked wheels also add to the bicycle look.
The Grey Borg could go either way. The all black Grey Borg pictured would look more like a bicycle if the frame were painted white or another bright color.

Attachments

• pugsley.png
    pugsley.png
    48 KB · Views: 3,972
  • Warp%20Nr.jpeg
    Warp%20Nr.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 3,972
  • imgres.jpeg
    imgres.jpeg
    11.1 KB · Views: 3,972
Since the frame is original black, I might go with silver spokes and dark colored side panels with a small amount of very small flake to give them some depth - like a midnite blue or burgundy - or even a dark metallic grey (like in dark gray alloy wheels). The spokes will accent the faint flake highlights. In some ES post somewhere that I read recently, a member suggested a two tone paint job on the panels - light above, dark below to reduce the visual mass of the panel. Unfortunately there's no natural horizontal body or panel line on which to base it so it may look artificial unless you can introduce some graphics to more naturally split the panel -- a 'Foose fade' might work pretty well...

I'm a little out of step with the marketplace I guess, but I prefer silver rims and hubs. In this case I think it would add a little more visual interest to the wheels making the bike look longer and taking some of the visual focus away from the shell covers. I have to agree with mr.electric - it would be great to get the frame powdercoat done in a light color, but you only get one chance to pick the powder color...

Thanks for the comments.

I think the rims I'm planning on are only available in black, but of course the spokes have a silver/bare option and I'll likely go with that.

Well, the motor arrived early last week. But the frame has not. They were shipped at the same time. I just hope the frame arrives in good shape.

The motor is impressive. The wires are impressive. The axle is 16mm threaded with 10mm flats. The motor came with nuts but no washers. I'll have to get some NordLocks in this larger size.

Many other parts are in. The Helmet arrived, as has the seat, tires and tubes. Most of the remaining parts need to wait until I can verify the frame and forks sizing and spacing.

So near and yet so far.

Back