Cross-Canada by Ebike

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was crazy cool. Justin rode a yuba mundo cargo bike with me standing up on the back rack, others did 4 people on the same bike. Juergen fired up an antique solex moped, since he's part of the old bastards vintage motorcycle club. He has a velo made out of frame parts from his glider, which a building had collapsed on earlier, it has participated in EV races. Justin's bike is really something to see, it's a beast, and so cool how it is rolling R&D with his custom controller and many interesting polishings. He gave probably the most technical ebike talk that ever came from one person. We have that on video, along with many pictures. My cycle analyst is flashed with beta code, my vision of data recording is past conception. Mike was there with his kid bike running 80v on 20 inch wheels, its scary fast. Ben was there with his dual 408 bike, left and came back with his dog in trailer, this dog has been in ebike trailer all its life. Riding in ebike trailer is normal :mrgreen: The dog stands up on the trailer rail, it's hilarious to watch ben fly on that bike. His bike is faster than mine with an 80 pound dog in tow, rode home with him in the rain. We had other recumbents there, an ebike with sidecar, bikes and technology everywhere. This feels like the home brew computer club from the 70s, that's effectively where were are in evolution of ebikes.

I have lots of pictures, we'll start with Justin and bike ...

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6
Pic 7
Pic 8
Pic 9
Pic 10
Pic 11
Pic 12
Pic 13
Pic 14
Pic 15
Pic 16
Pic 17
Pic 18
Pic 19

nutsandvolts said:
Ben was there with his dual 408 bike, left and came back with his dog in trailer, this dog has been in ebike trailer all its life. Riding in ebike trailer is normal :mrgreen: The dog stands up on the trailer rail, it's hilarious to watch ben fly on that bike. His bike is faster than mine with an 80 pound dog in tow, rode home with him in the rain.
She's more like 100 pounds :p And if I didn't have dual hub performance, my bike would be pathetic with that weight; I'm drawing 45 amps just cruising with her :lol:
I'm still working on the video BTW, processing on google atm; should be very good quality as my divx output file is very good.
Ben...

Affliction said:
And if I didn't have dual hub performance, my bike would be pathetic with that weight

And on that note, here's ben's dual throttle, dual controller, dual 408, dual headlamp, snow machine and dog hauler, power like crazy, this is a bike you have to like. On test ride, this bike feels like a motorcycle.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6
Pic 7
Pic 8
Pic 9

mikereidis said:
Very few of us wanted to try Justin's 170 pound "under-powered" bike built more for range and cross country use than raw speed.

Apparently I'm the only one who has had this pleasure on his entire trip so far! Nobody else wanted to try it :shock:
I'm sure Ypedal and Doctor Bass will have a go.

Here's the video..... [googlevid]6612429022771347956[/googlevid]
sorry having trouble getting it to work here so here's the direct link...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6612429022771347956&hl=en

:D :D :D

Hi

Thanks so much for the pictures they are great!! got a really good idea from them about the bike, its funny you can see the seat has split from all the peddling, looks like its just holding together with plenty of tape!!

Again Justin seems to be smiling in every single shot there!! the bike looks in great shape, the rear wheel looks like its 24 inch is that right? I know that he has had problems with it, is this a new stronger wheel?

Video!! how cool am just about to watch it, I have been surprised that nobody had filmed him at all yet? so pleased that you have done this!!

Oh BTW love the dual hubbed bike, thats so cool, super nobbly tyres and beefy forks, mucho kudos!

Knoxie

Hi

Just watched the first film! how cool was that!! thanks so much for sharing this! Justins explanation of his rig is superb! and he mentioned he may do the trip again next year? wow!! do you have any more video? be great to hear more from Justin. His bike has held up so well most e-bikes probably dont do that many miles in their entire life! although some of mine have :lol:

And yes Justin if you can maybe make that thing amphibious it would be great to see you here in the UK! :D you would find the UK to be a little small compared to Canada though! the longest bike run here in the UK is Lands End to John o groats, its only a measly 874 miles!!

This run of yours makes for a great Beta product test for all your new inventions, wishing you all the best with those Justin!! thanks so much for the video and the pictures, I am sure everyone who is following the thread will really appreciate this.

Knoxie

Hey!

Thanks for the video. I got some "accidental" video while Justin was here... We were mugging for the camera, Alison had slid the switch on the camera to video accidentally. So we had half a minute of animated hand gestures with the audio blocked out by the sound of cicadas and the house renovation going on across the street.

For anybody who caught this earlier, forgive me if this is redundant (the associated controller functions are discussed on the first page of this thread, but the actual implementation surprised me). For for everyone else (like me) who assumed the regen function was kicked in with some kind of thumb switch...

While we were swapping out Justin's back wheel and he was making adjustments to the rear brake, I made a comment about checking the health of the front brake while we were at it. "I don't use it", he said, "it's a little hard to reach". I looked at the left brake lever on his handlebars, and he pointed out that the only thing connected to it was a wire - no brake cable. The REAL front brake lever is on the FRONT handlebar set, where he can't possibly reach it from his seat. This means that the only mechanical brake on that heavy rig is the rear one!

So, it turns out, the switch on the left brake lever that he CAN reach is part of his controller setup. When he's riding normally, the throttle is a throttle. When he pulls the left brake lever, the purpose of the throttle changes. When the brake lever is engaged, the throttle signal is used in conjunction with the regen circuit - giving him continuous control of how much braking resistance he gets from the motor. The rear brake is only used to bring the bike to a dead stop!

nutsandvolts, Affliction... nice shots!

Haven't read the details BUT I have to say... all very candid and natural pics. AND HUGE pics! Bit hazy in the contrast but still very telling.

This feels like the home brew computer club from the 70s, that's effectively where were are in evolution of ebikes.

Yup! :smile:

ABC, NBC, FOX, CNN . . . who needs the media if we can (all of us) BE THE MEDIA!

8)

J

nutsandvolts said:
Coolest EV meet ever! And I got to ride Justin's infamous recumbent packcycle.
A few of us kept on going until almost 1AM.

We are planning a group ride with Justin around ottawa tomorrow (sunday) at 2PM.
Send me a PM for details if you want to join us.

Should be good timing. We are under a "RainFall Warning" now from remnants of Ike. Weather Network (whom I normally try to avoid in favor of Env. Canada) has an hourly forecast at http://www.theweathernetwork.com/hourlyfx/caqc0020/hourlytable/ and it shows no rain from 11 am to 7 pm. Rain could be much worse later tonight though.

Do we have a "go-cart Mozart" to check out the weather charts ? :) Franktown: http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=XFT Nexrad Mixed Composite: http://www.wunderground.com/radar/mixedcomposite.asp?region=a5&size=2x Montague Nexrad: http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?ID=TYX

I got too bored late last night and went for a run in the rain; It started harder so I only got 5 KM in, but my bike is "rain tested" now and no problems. Darn it; think I need fenders or at least waterproof pants !

Sorry for the short notice, again! I must learn to sleep like a normal human. Nah.
We are meeting at 2PM same place as yesterday for ride around ottawa with justin.

knoxie said:
you would find the UK to be a little small compared to Canada though! the longest bike run here in the UK is Lands End to John o groats, its only a measly 874 miles!!

Knoxie

Someday, Knoxie, we should organize a Lands End to John O'Groats Ebike ride, don't you think?

Hi Justin,
My name's Vivian and I'm a national affairs reporter for Sun Media and would love to speak to you about your cross-Canada trip for an environmental feature i'm working on for the election.
I'm hoping we can chat ASAP and perhaps even arrange for me to meet you along your route depending on where you are right now.
Please email me at vivian.song@sunmedia.ca with a contact number and I'll explain in further detail.

Cheers and look forward,
Vivian

Election? Throw the rascals out! Justin for Prime Minister!

RUETERS (Vancouver) - Canada's new controversial Prime Minister has announced the building of three new bike cities, permanent closure of the Athabaska tar sands, and new strict requirements on vehicle emissions, along with mandated transition to electric vehicles for auto makers.

And we're off to the parlaiment! :D

paultrafalgar said:
knoxie said:
you would find the UK to be a little small compared to Canada though! the longest bike run here in the UK is Lands End to John o groats, its only a measly 874 miles!!

Knoxie

Someday, Knoxie, we should organize a Lands End to John O'Groats Ebike ride, don't you think?

Yes!!

That would be soo cool!! I can actually pack 60AH of lipo at 37V! so should be enough for a good long run, not sure if we would be able to charge off road signs here in the UK? maybe the odd lamp post! ha ha, I reckon it is do able with 60AH maybe even half that, I am also running an X5 but could use a BMC or a USPD, I know the USPD would be up to it with a nice strong wheel but this trip of Justins has confirmed to me that the X5 would be as well, I have rain proofed my X5 as best as I can, I sealed the lid and amalgamated all the cables but the only worry is the hall failure that Justin has been experiencing, we need to get Justin back so he can work on that controller!!! dont keep him too long guys :wink:

I think we should get the EV meeting sorted out first though, we have been saying that for ages!!

Cheers

Knoxie

Hi everyone, it's been a few days and I'll have a lot of posting to catch up on in the near future. Quick trip summary update:

VancouverToOttawa.gif

We've got just under 5500 km down, with 1500 to go before Halifax. That's nearly 80% done! I've attached a spreadsheet with all the stats so far. $6.60 in electricity, 33.6 kph and 13.7 wh/km. Spent almost an entire week now pedaling from the seat of my bicycle.

Anyways, I just wanted to say what an amazing time it has been through all of Ontario so far, and to extend a huge thanks to those who organized the group events both in Toronto and here in Ottawa, and to everyone who's shown up. You guys have a great DIY ebike community out here that is out here filled with so many fascinating people, and I sure hope that gatherings like these are the start of something big.

I'm out to explore the city a bit, but aim to have plenty of fresh postings up tonight.

Justin

Attachments

• XCanada Trip Stats.xls
    38.5 KB · Views: 94
Well after that little video I predict Justin et al will invent a MultiChemistry MultiChannel Programmablechrger with BMS and Cycle Analyst in one. (MC2PBMSCA) with built in surge bar superscript the 2 = squared

Plug in up to 4 battery packs of any chemistry and be able to select from preprogrammed settings (or program your own) to charge your packs at a high or low amperage with a backup timer cutout. Only 5 cables. One to the wall, 4 to packs. The CA saves date to an SD card.

Well he'll need it for next year won't he? :)

Heavy rain from the hurricain in Ottawa; Perfect time for a ride :d
I missed the ride with Justin because I was up too late getting that video posted.
I hope the ride group was prepared with rain gear :twisted:
I'm heading out soon and I hope for more extreme weather to test out my weatherproofing.
Ben..

Hi Justin

Good to hear from you again, thanks for the data!! just been messing about with it in exel, looks like you have been averaging 21.3mph over the whole trip so far, that pretty impressive on just a few dollars of electricity, its funny moving averages for cars are so much lower than most people expect, of course in big cities its very low, London its about 7mph! I took my motorbike out the other day and did 140 miles and only averaged 38 mph!! on a bike that can do 100mph.

I use a Garmin Quest to collect my trip data even though you didn't use the notebook because of the ground loop issue you still have some very useful data here for folks to pour over, I also find the X5 to be a very efficient motor even compared to the Puma and the USPD, once it gets rolling its pretty good, sure its heavy but it doesn't over heat like the puma, the phase wires stay cold as well, its a very good motor indeed, once you get used to the weight its a tough unit to beat.

Looking forward to more posts from you, enjoy the city!! my trip the other day took me to Avebury here in the UK, it has a ring of stones that were constructed over 4,000 years ago and purportedly has the most haunted pub in the UK!! a known phenomenon around haunted places like this is for battery packs to suddenly drain!! luckily for me the only thing that drained my battery was my X5 ! :shock: :D I did 140 miles on 40AH of batteries, with moderate peddling, it was a long but fun day, the X5 is really a very good motor.

Cant wait to hear more tales from the road, ghost stories, UFOS?...big foot?? :)

Attachments

• avebury1.jpg
    avebury1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,513
  • avebury2.jpg
    avebury2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 2,511
More pics from yesterday's ottawa gathering ...

Juergen's velo racer made from glider parts

Velo 1
Velo 2
Velo 3

Juergen's custom recumbent

Recumbent 1
Recumbent 2
Recumbent 3

Juergen's vintage solex moped

Moped 1
Moped 2
Moped 3
Moped 4
Moped 5

Mike's bike was too big for son, not too small for daddy

Mike 1
Mike 2
Mike 3
Mike 4
Mike 5

Ebike with sidecar

Sidecar 1
Sidecar 2
Sidecar 3
Sidecar 4
Sidecar 5

Additional pics of various bikes

Bikes 1
Bikes 2
Bikes 3
Bikes 4
Bikes 5
Bikes 6
Bikes 7
Bikes 8
Bikes 9

Yuba mundo cargo bike
drooling.gif

Mundo 1
Mundo 2
Mundo 3
Mundo 4
Mundo 5
Mundo 6
Mundo 7
Mundo 8
Mundo 9
Mundo 10
Mundo 11

(Juergen imports these bikes from europe)

Way too much fun :)

Pics from today's Ottawa ride ...

View of Parlaiment from across the Rideau Canal

Ottawa-01.jpg

Crossing the Rideau Canal locks

Ottawa-04.jpg

Ottawa-05.jpg

Ottawa-06.jpg

Shelter from rain in old building on Victoria Island

Ottawa-02.jpg

View of Parlaiment from Quebec side of Ottawa river

Ottawa-03.jpg

We went to Sussex and had a peek at the Prime Minister's home.
The RCMP smiled and waved at us :D

That was fun! Thanks for visiting us Justin.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, everywhere we went, tourists were more interested in Justin's bike than the scenery, parlaiment, or whatever. They all had the same look on their faces, the dropped jaw look, like they're thinking WTF is that? :lol: It's a bird, it's a plane, it's electroman! One guy just wouldn't stop asking Justin questions, he was from Austria. Security! Nothing to see here, move along now ...

All the years I've lived here and I've never rode by the Prime Minister's residence! It seems like I missed out on a good tour :cry:
I'm going for a run down sussex tonight with a full charged pack and when I get back my spare will be ready for a trip to Juergen's to give Justin a parting gift.

Update... Just got back, did 20 km and put a hurt on my 48 volt pack. I could barely mantain 20 km/h close to home. My voltage was almost at the 19 volt cutoff.
Sussex drive is like a different planet! Am I still in Ottawa? Well manicured lawns and perfect roads; a cyclist's paradise! On the route there beside the river I found some muddy trails and lots of rough to put my bike through. There are appartments for rent next door to the PM's residence! How cool is that! I could quite easilly put a flaming bag of dog shit on his front stoop on Halloween and ring the doorbell! :twisted:
I am just amazed that I have lived in Ottawa all my life and never actually gone down Sussex Drive!
Ben....

For Justin: We were puzzled about victoria island, where we found shelter in some historical building, we were trying to guess what that building was for. There was also some discussion about the native tipi and totem pole on the island.

This explains the native aspect:
Long ago, the Ottawa River which runs through our nation’s capital was a major highway. This highway was navigated by the many native nations from across Turtle Island (or North America, as it is known today) who were in search of food, technology and trade goods. At one time, all of the lands stretching on each side of the river were home to the Algonquin nation who were called “Adawa”, meaning people of the trade. When European explorers later traveled these same waters in search of the mighty beaver pelt, they called the area “Ottawa” after the local nation. Today, we are pleased to bring some of this rich history to life for our visitors on the historical and sacred Victoria Island. This island jewel is located in the heart of downtown Ottawa under the shadows of Parliament Hill. For thousands of years, the Alqonquin nation used this very island as a meeting place for gatherings, trading and celebrations and we continue this tradition today with a unique celebration of our contemporary urban native culture.
http://www.aboriginalexperiences.com/

Something about heritage buildings:
In more recent history, Victoria Island has been central to commerce and technology. Throughout the 1800s and well into the 1900s it played a pivotal role in the region’s historic lumber industry. It has been vital to the region’s urban growth and is the site of several heritage buildings.
http://www.ottawaplus.ca/tourism_transportation/victoria_island/1003148

We were in a heritage building that most likely was some kind of lumber mill.
I never paid much attention to history when I was younger, now I consider it vital information.

100 Awesome Blogs for History Junkies
http://www.bestcollegesonline.com/blog/2008/09/10/100-awesome-blogs-for-history-junkies/

knoxie said:
Again Justin seems to be smiling in every single shot there!!

Yeah, he's a happy but serious guy, best way to be.

knoxie said:
the bike looks in great shape, the rear wheel looks like its 24 inch is that right?

No, his bike is 26 on both wheels, however mine is 26 front and 24 rear. You can see how his bike is level in the pic below but my bike leans back somewhat with the 24 wheel on the back (justin on my bike below). That 26/24 thing was sort of by accident but I like it that way. In fact, I'd like to try a 96er - 29er front (700cc rim with mountain bike fat tire) and 26 rear. The xtracycle frame for mountain bikes is made for 26. With 24 on the rear I couldn't use the kickstand that came with it, had to use another.

wheels.jpg

knoxie said:
I know that he has had problems with it, is this a new stronger wheel?

He is going to Phat Moose tomorrow to get a new wheel and then shop for better clothing, he might be into snow yet. Yes we are way too into moose in these parts. Many people I know have run into them :shock: Trying to find their website, he looked up Fat Moose, and said "don't go there" :D He said he's off to Quebec tomorrow.

Looking forward to the rest of the trip reports.
He said he might auction off his bike in parts at the end!
Own a peice of electroman. haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back