Cross-Canada by Ebike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi efreak
It is a very comfy ride but with the front hub motor and rear suspension i get a lot of air at the back end, I know that sounds like fun but when i get the air i loose steering control for a couple of secs during the weight shift not funny at 40- 50 kmh. So this version will be scraped come the snow fall for another crack at the ideal bike.
if you want to take it for a spin let me know !
I live shouting distance from Joshua Goldberg (Parklawn and Lakeshore bulvd west) and will be around sat or sun.

Hi Justin,

Greetings again from England. I also want to pass on regards from someone you know - I spent yesterday with WaiWon Ching of eZee Bikes and he had nothing but praise for you.

The Tour of Britain (like the Tour de France but with navigation problems) came through my area on Tuesday, to do the stage with the most hill climbs. On Wednesday, Ching and a group of us set out to ride the race route, which has about 10,000 feet of climb and 10,001 of descent, on e-bikes. Anyway, I now know what its like to ride a bike with about 5 times the amount of batteries it was designed to carry.

We did around 100 miles (160 km). It leaves me very impressed by someone who is doing it day after day.

Nick

Joshua Goldberg said:
I did try to ride to the park but collided with a Police Car pulling out of an underground parking garage. All I suffered was a smashed Mir-Cycle handlebar mirror. Puzzled me why the Police didn't nail me for having no lights and no horn but I realized later he had his lights off as well and likely felt it was his fault.

Umm, yeah. I guess you have no axes to grind with the cops, but if a cop hit me and I felt it was his fault, I'd probably INSIST on an accident report being filed, unless there was absolutely no damage or injury and I was feeling charitable (or guilty about something else.) If the cop was nice about it and/or circumstances were questionable I might let it go. I can't see being TOO nice though with the same guys who want to nail me for 5 KMH over in speed traps. (So, yeah, I might give Ontario cops more leeway than Quebec.)

Looking forward to seeing Justin here in Ottawa area. Any word since leaving TO ? I'm suspecting he's going to "sneak" into Ottawa tonight or tomorrow.

Not tonight Dear

He stopped over in Port Hope last night, today he is in Belleville and then onto Kingston tonight unless he sleeps over in Belleville. Probably Ottawa on Saturday or late Friday night. He likes to ride in the dark because he found riding days was too hot across the Prairies but now it ain't exactly warm out there. Toronto got to like 6 Celsius last night and I suspect by the time he hits Eastern Quebec and NB it will be Parka weather.

So Justin. Since Quebec considers itsellf it's own country will you be going around it up north or down south? ( Just kidding.)

Yes it's getting damn cold in the mornings here in N.B., time for the winter coat.

Joshua Goldberg said:
Not tonight Dear

He stopped over in Port Hope last night, today he is in Belleville and then onto Kingston tonight unless he sleeps over in Belleville. Probably Ottawa on Saturday or late Friday night. He likes to ride in the dark because he found riding days was too hot across the Prairies but now it ain't exactly warm out there. Toronto got to like 6 Celsius last night and I suspect by the time he hits Eastern Quebec and NB it will be Parka weather.

Cool, Thanks, Yeah I prefer night riding or driving myself; much fewer vehicles and more relaxing. Been wearing a balaclava last few weeks and still the other night at 8-9c was too cold to go much over 20 KMH for me, with the added windchill. Maybe need electric resistor clothes hooked to a batt pack. :) I understand a fairing would help nicely for warmth too, presumably mostly due to windchill reduction.

Justin, I understand, is going more like 35-40 KMH or so, so his windchill must be higher.

Hey Justin, when you hit the end of the trail, why not just turn around and come back this way! We will add a fairing to your machine so you can beat the cold and will drop a 48 spoke Rynolite on the rear so your spoke problems will be history.

I could use another 4:00 am conversation about e-bikes and electronics as well!

Cheers,
Brad

Battery are less efficient at lower temp.. so i wonder if he will get less range.. i wanna see the stat data in couples of weeks to compare!

Ypedal said:
I can hook you up with a Toque and gloves if you don't have some on board lol.. damn cold these last few mornings, 7:45am it was just 6 celcius this morning !!!! :shock:

Yess... and that's at this temperature yesterday night that i reached my max top speed ever!... 76.7kph!!! 47.5mph!! Garmin GPS certified! .. not bad for a 5305 :twisted:

I really think that a cold motor work better than a hot motor!.. i can feel it!

I really think to buy some electric heating cloth like gloves, jacket..etc.. I have the power to supply them! :wink: .. maybe a premiere! in the ebike community :mrgreen:

astroman said:
There are enough e-bikes in the Big Smoke (Toronto) to make a Critical Mass ride. Anyone up for it before Frosty arrives?

Yes, that would be great. Preferably in the West End...

Roy Murray

KoolKat said:
Hey Justin, when you hit the end of the trail, why not just turn around and come back this way! We will add a fairing to your machine so you can beat the cold
Brad

Well, he HAS a fairing. I gave him one fresh out of my blow-molding machine last March. I never asked him why he did not mount it on his cross-Canada machine.
Hey Justin, why no faring?
Trying to beat that BC heat? :wink:
-Karl

efreak said:
BTW did you ever get around to posting a video tutorial for dc-dc charger build?[/quote="efreak"]

For sure i'll do... I just need to fine tune it for current limiting..

Justin.. that could interest you ! when arriving at in the Quebec province!

http://www.routeverte.com/rv/index_e.php

choose the map you want here: http://www.routeverte.com/rv/index_e.php?page=carte

I think when arriving at Montreal, the best choice will be to get the highway 40 side instead of the 20 side.. You'll find more cycling lane on the 40 side than the 20 on south side of the fleuve. The "Chemin du Roy" road seems the best choice between Montreal and Quebec.

the cycling road availlable in Quebec are here(see the PDF file)

Attachments

• velo_plan_reseau_cyclable Quebec city.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 67
Belleville just in time for peter frampton-- kim mitchell concerts on Thursday perfect planning :D

Great going Justin.
I just got my controller ect. yesterday.Its so great to be up riding again.The Fiori is good ,but its not the same thing.Thanks for all your help and that of the crew at Ebikes.ca. If you do take the train back home, there is a 2hr stop over in Winnipeg for service.Would you like to do lunch with Louise and I? Good luck for the rest of your journey.
Edwin

At the Toronto BBQ welcoming Justin Tuesday evening, I told Justin of Steven Roberts' Winnebiko Behemoth http://microship.com/resources/winnebiko-behemoth.html. He was amazed and asked me to mail him, but I'll just post it here instead. Check out the picture below, and click on the link for the specs of what he's hauling! The bike is NOT electric, but everything else is! BTW, the year was 1991.

behemothwisc.jpg

Justin is rolling into Ottawa late tonight. There is a tentative plan for gathering at juergen's (acclivity solutions) tomorrow for a tech chat. If anyone in the area wants to join, contact juergen or if you don't know him, you can PM me and I'll make sure you know the meeting details (which are still tentative and no time set yet). What a cool cross country ride this is.

no word from justin on here for a while. I know the weather in toronto has cold and rainy lately. hope all is going well.
Be safe justin, hope to hear from you soon.

Pheno said:
no word from justin on here for a while. I know the weather in toronto has cold and rainy lately. hope all is going well.
Be safe justin, hope to hear from you soon.

Oh, noes ! :)

I suspect he slipped into Ottawa early this AM, or late last night. His stats now say "Last visited: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:25 am"

I was riding the Ottawa River multi-use paths last night and it was very nice riding weather IMO. 18 celcius, humidity about 93% and lots of fog. Some puddles, some minor condensation on bike, but no big deal. I LOVE riding in fog, as long as it's on a path with no cars. Glad I had MY lights so I could see the other lone rider, and group of six riders that didn't have lights.

hmm still no word, but I think justin arrived very late last night, he spoke with juergen I think.
Yes I was out riding last night too, the weather was fantastic.

Short notice, but ebike tech chat at 3PM, Juergen is now contacting those that messaged him.

nutsandvolts said:
Short notice, but ebike tech chat at 3PM, Juergen is now contacting those that messaged him.

Justin appears alive and well and in Ottawa now.

AFAICT, a fun time was had by all, including my two young kids and myself. I think there were at least 10 of us there; perhaps more if I add my two kids. I met Justin, NutsAndVolts, Juergen and many others whos' names escape me now.

Justin talked at length about his trip, his bike, etc. Probably well over 1 hour of video was taken; I presume at least some will be uploaded somewhere. Everyone talks about how nice Justin is. OK, but I certainly noted he is happy and eager to share his knowledge and stories and has a real passion for this "ebiking thing" (as did most-all of us there).

Many of us swapped bikes for test runs. Very few of us wanted to try Justin's 170 pound "under-powered" bike built more for range and cross country use than raw speed. Juergens' backyard is full of interesting bikes, like a 1975 Moped and some interesting recumbents.

It's really nice to meet some "real" people, outside of the interweb forum thing. And always cool to see what kinds of bikes others have.

I'm hoping we can do a group run sometime while Justin is in Ottawa. Hoping I can get my camera mounted on my bike to take some video.

Thanks to Juergen for his hospitality and Justin for giving us a reason to meet, and everybody who came, etc. :)

I have tons of photos of the event and a 30 minute video which I am working on atm. This is Ben BTW :)
I'm heading back towards Juergen's place to grab my laptop at my garage because I'm having problems getting the video off my camera.
Lots of fun was had by all and alot of test riding was done on my dual hub bike!

Coolest EV meet ever! And I got to ride Justin's infamous recumbent packcycle.
A few of us kept on going until almost 1AM.

We are planning a group ride with Justin around ottawa tomorrow (sunday) at 2PM.
Send me a PM for details if you want to join us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back