CRYSTALYTE 406/4011 WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT?

DAND214

10 MW
About 1200 miles south of Chicago, in sunny/rainny
My cute hub took a vacation and won't be back to play. So in it's place I installed a 406/4011 rear hub with it's 36 to 72v 20a controller. I am running 48v 20a LiFePo4 pack. with the Cute hub with a 12 fet controller 28a I could get 30mph with assist and a great bottom end. Not as strong as my 9C or Conhis 24v 500w hub.

The first thing was to mount the wheel and controller with matching half twist throttle. All went togeather with no problems. It went tgeather better than all (12) the others I have built before.

On the first ride it appears to be a real dud or more like my Bafang 8fun on 36v. On the 406 side of the hub the best speed was just around 24mph assisted and on the 4011 side it hit a wopping 18mph with poor bottom end without assist. max amps drawn was 45. I don't think this thing could go over a bridge without pedaling! It also has a hum/buzz or strong pulse till you get up to speed. Not a bad hall sensor as it is good to start in any position without hesatation.

The hub and controller are stock as supplied. Am I missing something? Like weak controller or is this normal or is it a problem? the hub runs great no load, smooth and coasts well so i see no wiring problems. do I need to mod the controller or replace it with what I was using before. I did expect a lot more out of the 406 side of the hub than a piss poor assisted 24v ezip or what they are.
My 24v500w hubs run 30mph+ and are great on the bottem end and use half the amps this thing does. I an looking toward the controller being the problem but now sure as I haven't used a Crystalyte hub befoer. I read about how they are great but most are the 5xx series. Are the 4xx series just dogs or is this not normal?

As I said stock Crystalyte hub, controller and throttle. Stock wiring which is kinds thin but no less than the Cute hub was. What do I do or where do I look?
Dan

I'm not sure what you're saying here in regards to the 4011 and 406 "sides" of the hub. The 406 and 4011 units are, if I'm not mistaken, two different hub motors within the 400 series. The 4011, according to the Crystalyte website, should be good for ~15.6 mph @ 48v while, the 406 should pull ~35mph at the same voltage. If by "switching sides" you mean "switching the speed limit" jumper or switch (if applicable) then, you might consider the lower speed as being within the legal limit for many Countries (i.e. with the "speed limiter" circuit enabled) while running the 4011 (the higher speed you mention might be that of the "unlimited" speed with the "speed limiter circuit disabled).

I also noticed that the "20amp" controller would, , according to the Crystalyte website, be of the analog type and, , according to the Crystalyte website, is recommended for sealed lead acid or NiMH battery types. If this is the case, please make sure that you don't over-discharge your Lifepo4 battery.

Thanks FMB42 for getting back to me. I guess I wasn't clear on the problem. The hub is a 406/4011 split hub which has both winds in the same hub. If you wand a slow or torque you run the 4011 and if you want a fast hub you run the 406. yes it was the analog controller which I have removed in hopes that it was the problem. I went to the controller I was running before which was run with a 9c and a cute hub also. both ran great they would both hit 30mph with assist. the Crystalyte 406 at best hits 26mph with help on either controller. The 20amp unit wasn't any more of a disappointment than the 12 fet 28 amp unit was. Both were much the same on the top end.

I have disasembled the hub to inspect the windings and hall sensors. Both are fine. I just wonder if I got a miss marked hub. Top speed wasn't a disappointment as the low end torque, the hub was always struggling without pedal assist. I never had any concerns to having a wheelie problem as I do with my other hubs. I can lift the frt wheel under power with no problem. It also is power hungry 38wh/mi is way out of line in my thinking. I see 20wh/mi or less on all of my bikes.

Inside the hub is a lot of copper more than I have seen in other hubs, wide laminations which are skewd for better power I would guess. Not in this hub. I think I will just relace my 9c hub and use it till I can figure out what is wrong with this thing.
Thanks for your response.
dan

Back