CT-22 Speedometer with Fardriver Controller Problem

jgetma

10 µW
I am trying to use a CT-22 Speedometer Display with an ND84530 controller. I have everything connecting and working but as soon as I turn everything on, the speed value jumps around some high value (like 98mph) and throttle input has no effect on the speed.

Here is a video of the above:

I have the speed input line on the display connected to the "pulse" digital speed line on the controller harness. I tested this speed signal by swapping out a different speedometer display that I had, and the speed was showing correctly. So the controller or speed signal is not the problem.

I should note that the motor turns when I twist the throttle without issue.

I also tried using the "analog" speed signal wire on the controller harness. This resulted in the speed showing 0mph when powered on but the throttle had no effect on the speed display.

I believe the analog signal is not the correct signal to use, since the manual for the CT-22 display indicates that it needs one of the hall sensor wires as the signal, and that would be a digital signal.

Attached are my Display settings in the Fardriver app.

Does anyone have experience connecting the CT-22 display with the Fardriver controller?

Any ideas what the issue could be?

Attachments

• 82DAE0E5-00B0-441F-AB1F-0429D42709D0.jpeg
    82DAE0E5-00B0-441F-AB1F-0429D42709D0.jpeg
    351.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I am trying to use a CT-22 Speedometer Display with an ND84530 controller. I have everything connecting and working but as soon as I turn everything on, the speed value jumps around some high value (like 98mph) and throttle input has no effect on the speed.
The throttle should not affect the speed reading, if that's what you're referring to. It should only affect the controller's output to the motor (whether that is speed control or torque control).

I have the speed input line on the display connected to the "pulse" digital speed line on the controller harness. I tested this speed signal by swapping out a different speedometer display that I had, and the speed was showing correctly. So the controller or speed signal is not the problem.

If the "pulse" signal is the phase-wire (battery voltage level) signal (some controllers have several speedo outputs and can have one that copies a motor phase signal, as that's a common speedo input for "scooter displays"), then it may have damaged the input of the display if that input is designed for a low voltage (like a hall signal, which is typically only about 5v max, sometimes 12v). I suggest this as a possibility because there should be no speed reading at all as long as there is no speed signal generated by motor rotation...but since you may have PWM signal/noise on the phase-wire signal from the motor controller all the time depending on controller operation, you could get a ridiculously high speed reading from it detecting this PWM as a speed signal.

There would be no switching signal of any kind on a hall output unless the motor is spinning, so nothing for the display to detect and show.

I also tried using the "analog" speed signal wire on the controller harness. This resulted in the speed showing 0mph when powered on but the throttle had no effect on the speed display.
What is this signal output type, and voltage range, from the controller? What signal type and voltage range is the display expecting?

I recommend strongly against connecting any output from one device to the input of another device unless you know for sure that it is not too high a voltage for that input to handle, so you need to know what the voltage range of the signal is at the least, and to setup the input for the receiving device you have to know what the signal output type is, or it isn't going to recognize the signal and correctly respond to it--this is true of anything, not just this display.

SInce this display is programmable, you may need to do this before it will work for your specific setup. There is a thread for this display that may have useful info for you,
and a quick google also finds this page (which also references that thread).

Back