Custom Battery Packs? INTERESTED?

torqueboards said:
Yeah, Li-ion works. I prefer it. Life cycles are about 500 to 600 cycles or so.

i thought they were 1,000 cycles ? lipos are about 500 cycles

i wouldn't mind helping out with the order but im not the best at electronics/soldering yet.

Hey guys,
I just got a quote from a dude over here in Europe. 240$ for a 29V 10.5 AH 20 C battery made of Samsung cells. Configuration is something like 8S5P. I was curious if you all know do we need the 20 C rate? How does this spec influence the boards acceleration and ride? Also torquboard- do you think this battery pack would work with your single ESC? Not sure but head ways 8 cell package with BMS seems close to this and IMO maybe better chemistry.... Thoughts?

Cheers fellas

206monkey32 said:
Hey guys,
I just got a quote from a dude over here in Europe. 240$ for a 29V 10.5 AH 20 C battery made of Samsung cells. Configuration is something like 8S5P. I was curious if you all know do we need the 20 C rate? How does this spec influence the boards acceleration and ride? Also torquboard- do you think this battery pack would work with your single ESC? Not sure but head ways 8 cell package with BMS seems close to this and IMO maybe better chemistry.... Thoughts?

Cheers fellas

Is the BMS able to pull the 20C? I think 100amp cont is good enough for the most part for a dual motor. Single motor it's more then enough. It would work with my ESC.

Boosted real good cells for their board but their huge - http://www.a123systems.com/lithium-ion-cells-26650-cylindrical-cell.htm.

Would this battery work for a 10s using VESC? http://www.batterysupports.com/36v-37v-42v-5000mah-50ah-30a-lithium-ion-liion-battery-pack-p-376.html

After catching up on all the back reading on this thread....the idea of using 18650's or 26650's entices me.

The perks to these is that they are nice to "Set and forget", but the work lies in setting them up in the first place. These would be better to pre-fab and sell as a unit, just like how they come in laptop batteries. Bundle and sell them as a "eboard battery". They do take some work to put together initialy, but less maintenance in the long run.

Inversely, Lipo's as easy to set up, but fairly annoying to maintain.

@ 777arc If you go the route of lipo's, Sure it'd be handy to have just one 10s pack....but it's more cost effective to get a couple 5s at $40 each, than one big 10s at $130. Also, if one of your cells dies, then you only need to replace one of the 5s rather than the whole 10s. On another note, if you feel like you don't need 10s, you can get a couple even cheaper 3s and put a 3s and 5s together in series for 8s, which is still enough for a fun and fast ride.

Can't wait to see what those look like. It'd be nice to just plug the board into the wall rather than charge lipo packs :/

I'm starting to like the 12S setups :)

Still no video? For shame!!

yes - got it - which charger to you use to charge and equilibrate 12S lipos? or are you charging/balancing as 6S and checking the cells voltage and then assembling the pack as a 12S -but not balancing the whole 12S ?

okp said:
yes - got it - which charger to you use to charge and equilibrate 12S lipos? or are you charging/balancing as 6S and checking the cells voltage and then assembling the pack as a 12S -but not balancing the whole 12S ?

I use the iCharger 208B and charge at 6S in parallel. I don't have any on-board charging. I remove packs from the deck and charge in parallel.

I have a simple series connector and plug in the two ends and turn on the power to use the board.

I balance charge in 6S parallel everytime.

torqueboards said:
Boosted real good cells for their board but their huge - http://www.a123systems.com/lithium-ion-cells-26650-cylindrical-cell.htm.
What custom options are there out there for a Battery Management System for those 26650-M1B batteries (aside from purchasing a Boosted Board)?

Erwin, this is a good site: http://www.batterysupports.com/36v-37v-42v-5000mah-50ah-30a-lithium-ion-liion-battery-pack-p-376.html

These two are in SF area:

http://www.batteryspace.com/PCB/BMS/CMB/UPS.aspx
http://www.all-battery.com/batterypcbpcmbms.aspx

has anyone had experience building packs with the flat prismatic cells?
torqueboards said:
206monkey32 said:
Hey guys,

Cheers fellas

Is the BMS able to pull the 20C? I think 100amp cont is good enough for the most part for a dual motor. Single motor it's more then enough. It would work with my ESC.

Any expereince with the flat prismatic cells? they might offer some advantage space wise. I'm kind of intrigued by them.

well, I am also interested in the 18650 25R or 26650 A123...

just don't know which one to go for, especially if the 7.5AH is enough for my dual diagonal 63mm 150 setup.

SAMSUNG 18650 25R
regarding a pack made of samsung 25R 10S 7,5ah would be 10s3p right which means 30 cells.

one cell is 1,7cm (diameter) x 6,6 cm (length) - 45grams raw specs.

I just measured the available space on my existing deck, I could allocate a space of 30cm (length) x 18cm (width).

so in length/width at the maximum, I could get a pack of 30 cells that will be : 25,5cm (15x1,7) x 13,2 (2x6,6)

weight would be around 30x45grams : 1,350kg

pack cost is around 30x 4,30 euros = 129 euros (+20 shipping + 10 for tabs) => 150 euros maximum.

that's awesome if the calculation is right ! I have some spare in width and length for wiring

for A123 26650M1 B Grade 3,3V - same : 10s3P - 30 cells

one cell is 2,6cm (diameter) x 6,5 cm - 76 grams raw specs

at the maximum I could align on 30cm ... two lines of 11 cells.. which will be 22 cells... I need to find 8 more.. maybe on the side of the pack, 4 each side.

pack cost : 30 x 7,5 = 225 + shipping & tabs : 250 euros maximum
pack weight : 30x76 = 2,280kg.

torqueboards said:
okp said:

I use the iCharger 208B and charge at 6S in parallel. I don't have any on-board charging. I remove packs from the deck and charge in parallel.

I have a simple series connector and plug in the two ends and turn on the power to use the board.

I balance charge in 6S parallel everytime.

I've been thinking about this a lot and I think i want four of those packs in a sort of 12s2p configuration. If two packs were wired in parrallel and then those resulting packs were wired in series, you should be able to charge them all at once with a charger like this, right?
http://www.hobbypartz.com/75p-1220-charger.html

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole problem of parrellel charging with packs wired in series... i admit to not being an electrical engineer. lol However, i ultimately want 12S with a helluva lot more range at higher speeds and removing packs to charge means cracking open a case every time which for me in particular isn't practical at all when you're hoping to one day build for other people. Not to mention wearing out the threads in my aluminum box.

As some of you already know I have been working on developing the best possible electric skateboard battery DIYers can buy....

It is 10S3P.
> It has BMS built-in
> Power Switch built-in
> Charge Port built-in
> Voltage Display Built-in
> Regen Compatible
> Ultra slim. Only 23mm
> Offers about 1.5hrs run time on dual motor.
> Charge time approx 3hrs - faster chargers optional.
> 270WH

With everything built into the one piece you can now build your electric skateboard quickly & very easily, very minimal soldering required when using this battery! Also charging is now so, so easy!... simply connect the charger to the DC charge port!

10s-enertion-all-in-one-a.jpg

10s-enertion-all-in-one.jpg

What do you think?

Awesome onloop!

I see more and more highpower battery setup on the forum lately. 10S seems to be normal as to a year ago everybody went with 6S. I run my board on only 3S and cruise along at about 20kph which is fast enough for me.
If I would go for a 10S pack, is it possible to scale down the speed dramaticly?
I really like your battery pack, but it seems a bit to powerfull for me.

Back