CYC Pro Gen1 Belt drive

napaharp said:
What did you use for an idler wheel? You posted a good sketch on the adjustable idler bracket but not what wheel to use.

Main Question: Did this quiet the motor down? I would hate to spend all the time to make this mod and find out it did not solve the noise issue. I have a Gen 2 CYC X1 Pro and it has brass gears and still very noisy.
Also: Any help on what parts you used for your mod.

For a small wheel I have used 5M-20T steel wheel, bought locally for ~ 3 EUR. I have machined the hole and keyway to replicate CYC design.
The idler wheel was done to accommodate the belt length.

Using the belt, you will get rid of chain noise, although the gearbox is also making a lot of noise. The whole drive system is not for me. I almost donated CYC with a chain to an enthusiast. Although I do have the belt parts in my garage.

I can post the pictures with parts. Also, I can sell the belt drive parts (CYC GEN1) as they are for a small fee ~50EUR.

Personally, I don't recommend this modification. The belt it’s putting excessive tension to the gearbox ball bearing and they fail pretty soon.

JRR-1 said:
5M belt may be little on the small side for this purpose. Also the 20mm belt width seems to be kind of rare size. Aliexpress has them, but watch out for the quality. My first belt broke on first time giving the full throttle with 2kW. If I make a new version to fix some of the the mistakes on the first one, I will see if I can fit 8M belt.

I was using 5M Continental CXP belt, no problems at all. The belt could be cut to any width if bought from local shops. Continental 5M 20mm width cost roughly 20 EUR.

Back