• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Cycle Analyst won't turn on

GASSTINKS

10 W
I just got my CA in the mail, tried plugging it into the controller (Infineon 36-48v, 20 amp), and nothing happens. The CA won't turn on and the throttle does nothing. I unplug the CA, everything works as usual. The only thing I can think of which may be affecting things is that I don't have anything plugged into the brake cutoff connection (at least I think it's the brake cutoff - it's a black and yellow wired connection).

Any ideas?

--- Edit ---

Read the CA manual...where's the trouble shooting section? Figures...I'm the only one having problems with a problem-free product. BTW: the manual is Version 2.0.

Anyway, on the last page of the manual, there is a diagram of the CA-DP connector pinout:
1 - red
2 - black
3 - blue
4 - white
5 - yellow
6 - green

The wires coming out of the Infineon which mate with the above pattern are:
1 - red
2 - black
3 - black (not a typo - there are two black wires)
4 - yellow
5 - green
6 - blue

I thought that at least this part of the whole e-bike process would have worked like it should. You know: "direct plug" should mean exactly that. You plug one end into the other and you're off and going, instead of scratching your head and reading through endless threads on Endless-Sphere which mention nothing regarding this problem.

All the dough I spent on this e-bike stuff over the past two years...I coulda' had me a nice carbon fiber bike and probably would have been just as fast...and much healthier.

Rant over...for the time being.

CA wiring to the Infineon controllers is very well covered on this forum.

We would need to see where the wires are connected inside the controller. Most likely a wire connected in the wrong place. The colour of the wires doesn't help much, there are several different pigtail versions out there now.

Don't forget to discharge the controller before taking it apart.

Mike1 said:
CA wiring to the Infineon controllers is very well covered on this forum.

We would need to see where the wires are connected inside the controller. Most likely a wire connected in the wrong place. The colour of the wires doesn't help much, there are several different pigtail versions out there now.

Don't forget to discharge the controller before taking it apart.

Note to self: now do a search for "discharging a controller".

At 48V I would just disconnect it and wait about 30 minutes, then short out the main power input connectors. That will discharge the caps and make it safe to slide the board out of the case.

Mike1 said:
At 48V I would just disconnect it and wait about 30 minutes, then short out the main power input connectors. That will discharge the caps and make it safe to slide the board out of the case.

Thanks for the info.

The waiting part I can do. But, I'm a real novice when it comes to electronics. How do I 'short out' the input connectors? Shorting out a battery implies that the pos and neg touch, so I assume I touch the black and red power ends of the controller somehow.

I found the "Infineon for Dummies" section of ES and I'm trying to become familiar with the guts of my controller before attempting surgery. For anyone in the same boat who came across my posting, here is a link to the dummies thread:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8610&hilit=dummies

General Infineon info:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7361

Yes, its the positive and negative wires to the controller that you need to short together. I usually use a pair of long nose pliers, you get a spark but the longer you wait after you unplug from the battery the smaller the spark will be.

I did some surgery on my Infineon and found the problem: a red wire was never soldered to the board. The problem is that all the pics I found on ES regarding the interior of this controller (or similar ones) don't match mine. I am labeling where every wire goes, and where I am assuming the lose red wire should go... any thoughts?

Attachments

• INFINEON-RED WIRE.jpg
    INFINEON-RED WIRE.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 1,188
From your pigtail wiring earlier in this post the red wire should go to Vcc-L (the same place as the red ignition wire)
The two black wires should both go the negative end of the shunt, I can't see where they go at the moment.

Mike1 said:
From your pigtail wiring earlier in this post the red wire should go to Vcc-L (the same place as the red ignition wire)
The two black wires should both go the negative end of the shunt, I can't see where they go at the moment.

The red wire actually went next to the other red wire in the upper right corner. All else was working just fine and the CA fired up as soon as I turned the system on.

Thanks so much for your help, Mike. Everything's working as it should now...

That's correct, that is your ignition wire.

If you plan to calibrate the CA to the shunt correctly and want to get accurate current readings then I think you should extend the two black pigtail wires and moved them to the shunt (opposite end to the yellow wire, near the thick black wire).

Glad to help.

hi!
my materials: 48v lifepo4 20ah battery, 1000w motor brushless, infineon 20a controller.
my problem: my CA lights on but nothing is written.

without the CA, everything is OK.

when CA is connected, the bike doesn't ride.

the wires are as i can see on internet (CA and controller)
when the CA lights on, the r9 resistance starts to warm too much (i've changed the first, burned; the new one is 470ohm 1/4w, still the same problem)

any ideas?
thx

Back