Cycle Satiator Question

titusmc

100 W
Anyone know if the Cycle Satiator (24-48V) can run on DC? As in 60-80V DC through the normal AC input? Or will something inside not like it...?

I emailed Grin, but haven't heard back yet (1-2 days since I sent it) so I figured I'd ask here.

I'd like to use it on the output of a DC-DC boost converter connected to a 48V solar array to charge my 14S 52V batteries.

The question was asked and answered in first page of the main Satiator thread, most of the way to the bottom.

amberwolf said:
The question was asked and answered in first page of the main Satiator thread, most of the way to the bottom.

My apologies - I didn't realize there was a main thread. I found it very easily from a google search, but I missed it using the forum search.

Anyway, for anyone who is curious the answer below was given by Justin in the main thread:

justin_le said:
It works fine at 90V AC, but from a straight DC bus you need to get up to 120-130V in order to initially turn on the PFC stage, since it has a higher turn-on threshold than operating threshold. So yeah running off solar would require a relatively high voltage solar array.

Question for you since you are doing what others want to do here. ( use a solar panel and boost DC-DC converter to charge their batteries, even if it is only for extended range .

What make and model of Boost converter do you have ?

Cost ?

How long have you used it , to determine quality/service life ?

Any other info about it.

Boost DC-DC converter is also called a Buck Converter ?

Thanks

titusmc said:
Anyone know if the Cycle Satiator (24-48V) can run on DC? As in 60-80V DC through the normal AC input? Or will something inside not like it...?

I emailed Grin, but haven't heard back yet (1-2 days since I sent it) so I figured I'd ask here.

I'd like to use it on the output of a DC-DC boost converter connected to a 48V solar array to charge my 14S 52V batteries.

Thanks,

when I researched a Boost converter it was nearly or over $ 300 that made the project of a portable 120 watt solar panel too much money , when also adding up the cost of
$ 350 + for the panel, to make the project worth it. A spare battery would be more cost effective, and less to carry around as well.

If there is a much more affordable, quality boost converter that someone has found to work for a long period of time, I would reconsider the portable / range extending solar charger idea a try.

Alan B said:
Boost converter makes higher output voltage than input.

Buck converter produces lower output voltage than input.

Buck-boost converter can make either higher or lower voltage output from input.

There are numerous small DC-DC boost converters on eBay for under $20. They usually claim 10A max. I have several but I haven't had enough time to truly test their performance or reliability - I've only verified that they can indeed boost my solar panel voltage (12v) to my battery voltage (13S - 54.6V). The ones I got have CC and CV potentiometers for current/voltage adjustment. I'm planning to replace these with digital potentiometers so I can have an Arduino adjust them to do MPPT.

And it's usually to much trouble for moderators to post it...just point it out...

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=60169&hilit=satiator

Back