DC Rated Consumer unit's?

mxer

1 kW
Do they exist ?

I am planning 24v dc led lighting through my existing house lighting wiring main (Only lighting ring)....

Obviously I would like some protection that looks in keeping with my existing 240v consumer unit instead of fuses and blocks etc beside it.... (I am fused at the charge controller)...

I am told AC consumer units (Mcb/rcd's) will not work with DC? and to source a DC unit? Spent the last few hours scratching my head and getting confused on the matter because all search results just bring up the boating world with horrible dc boating panels...

I do have a spare Garage consumer unit I was going to use and running 24v dc through it works fine and trip's all the mcb's, but now an electrician has told me I can't use an AC consumer unit for DC I am reluctant to fit it?....

Any help or experience on this would be greatly appreciated..

This is my system..

pv panels/fuse/charge controller/fuse/batteries 24v/fuse/then to lighting + - (would like a consumer unit here) to lighting main (house)

Managed to speak to Schneider Electric also know as Merlin Gerin all there MCB's and Mains switch's are DC rated and tested.... :p

Also spoke to other company's ie MK, LAP and a few others who say there electrical switch's and breakers are NOT compatible with DC voltages' Just AC only ...

here is what it looks like..2x6amp mcb's (1xupstairs,1xdownstairs) 1x120amp main switch all wrapped up in a pretty box :p

a.c. breakers can be used on d.c.
Because they need to break a dc arc, they need to be derated for use.
Most breaker manufacturers specs contain the dc rating.
For 250V a.c. breakers, dc ratings are between about 60-80V dc.
So 24V is well within spec.

Back